Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2007, 13:50   #1

Boat: Spirit 28
Hello for Missouri

Just joined the Forum. My wife Linda and I are new to sailing. We just purchased a Gloucster 23 sailboat and have it in Lake Stockton, Mo. We recently completed our ASA basic keelboat and coastal cruising courses.

We own a condo in Marsh Harbour, Abaco, Bahamas and have been going down every year for about 13 years. We are very familar with the Abacos and have been renting a power boat while there to island hop. We hope to get a 30+ft sailboat and keep it in Abaco in the near future. We usually go down during Reggata Time in Abaco in July.

I wonder if anyone on the forums has any cruising/vacationing experience in the Abacos they could share with us?

See ya on the water!
Old 26-10-2007, 16:36   #2

Boat: Easterly 36 Aft Cabin
Hi, I don't have any experience with the Abacos but I do have some with MO.
easterly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2007, 21:54   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Jim,
Welcome aboard!! Good to have you here. There are a lot of folks with experience there on this forum. Give them time. They will reply. Tell us about your Gloucester.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2007, 11:36   #4

Hello Easterly and JohnL,
I met and married my wife Linda in St Charles in 1974 when I used to live up that way. Where do you keep your boat? What is your Missouri sailing experience like?

Ours in on Lake Stockton. Our Gloucster 23 has an 8ft beam and has a nice cabin below with lots of wood. The V berth can be closed off with a pocket door. We have a solar charger, 1200w inverter with TV, CD, DVD, stereo, GPS, etc. Have a small galley area. Roller furler on 150 Genoa. Lots of fun for weekends!
Tell me more about your boat.

Jim
Old 27-10-2007, 11:45   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Jim,
Mine is the third larger boat I've owned and is a work in progress. 42 foot fiberglass cutter, fin keel, spade rudder, traditional layout, aft cockpit, Mercedes diesel engine, velvet drive trans, gori folding prop. I also do a lot of maintenance on our club boats which include a bunch of Sunfish, Walker Bays, Hobie Ones, Hobie Cats, West Wight Potter 19, a Wharram 23 Cat and two 26foot International Folkboats.
I've just dry mounted my first of four sections of extruded aluminum toerail after rebuilding the cockpit due to dry rot on my big boat. (I've got 3 small 12 and under boats too.) So I stay busy on boats. I really sound busy don't I? Retirement is so easy.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2007, 07:46   #6

Boat: Easterly 36 Aft Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmccraw View Post
Where do you keep your boat? What is your Missouri sailing experience like?

Tell me more about your boat.

Jim
I was at Stockton yesterday. I wish I had read this earlier.
I will be keeping the boat at Souix Harbor on the Mississippi river. It's going to Port charles first for a bottom job. Port Charles has the fall bottom job special for $40 a foot. See below for the sailing conditions in the Mississippi. I'm more of a green/brown water sailor.

Dave
Old 28-10-2007, 11:30   #7

Hello Jim McCraw!
My husband Roger and I live in Ozark, MO, and got our ASA basic keelboat and coastal cruising certifications last summer at Stockton! This year we have been sailing there on a borrowed 17' Montgomery.....dinking around with the big boys! We are at the Orleans Trail Marina, H dock. Where do you have your boat?
We are currently in year 2 of a 6 year plan to retire onto a sailboat. We plan to sell all and move to Florida in another year and a half, buy a boat and move aboard while continuing to work for another couple of years...........then away we go!
This is a great site for ALL the questions we have, sooooo many questions!
Hope to see you up at Stockton!
Donna & Roger Simons
olhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2007, 07:11   #8

Hello Donna and Roger,

We have our sailboat also at Orleans Trail. I don't have a slip yet, we are on the waiting list! Ours is on the back row dry storage on the trailer. I may go up this weekend and do some work on it.

I work in Ozark, at Bison Campers running the Parts and Warranty Dept. Stop by and say hello sometime. Linda and I are also looking at selling and moving to the Bahamas on a sailboat in about the same time frame as you. We joined the Lake Stockton Yacht Club this fall. We have only been to one function, the Wonder Weiner cookout a couple of weeks ago.

You can email me direct (mgman@ipa.net) if you like. Maybe we can exchange emails and phone numbers. We would love to meet some other new sailors in our area and share experiences!