Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2013, 11:08   #1

Hello folks

My name is Richard and I have spent a lifetime being a crazy car guy.

HOWEVER, my partner Sue spent three winters cruising and her enthusiasm, friends and memories have convinced me that sailing must have some incredible hook, so......

I jumped in with both feet and bought a wonderful 1984 Freedom 32, that incredible Garry Hoyt cat boat with the freestanding carbon fiber mast...

She has been on the hard for a few short years, is very complete and in great shape except needing some basic TLC. She is on the hard in Punto Gorda and I live in Ontario Canada....So in the near future, we'll head down to Florida and get at her. Our hope is to get her back in the water before summer.....

I know that we will need some help, especially with advice and equipement recommendations, so please don't hesitate to jump in and lend us a hand....First off, we will look for an inexpensive place to stay in P.Gorda anytime between now and April 2014...

Soon, my friends
Audiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:18   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Hello folks

Richard.. Sue.. Welcome to CF..
Sounds you've a nice boat and adventures ahead... as to the fast cars thing.. I like M/bikes and hacking round English country lanes on the edge.. Katana 1100... Honda VFR 750... **** even a 125 if that's all that's available...
Sailing a boat on the edge has the same BUZZ...
even if it is 140mph slower...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:42   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon
Re: Hello folks

Welcome to CF Richard!

Wondering what marquis of car that you go nutty for?????

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 05:35   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Richard.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 05:51   #5

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

Welcome aboard, Richard!
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:24   #6

Boat: Westerly Centaur 26'
Send a message via AIM to bbowers2004 Send a message via MSN to bbowers2004 Send a message via Yahoo to bbowers2004 Send a message via Skype™ to bbowers2004

Great plan, and welcome!
bbowers2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:51   #7

Thanks for the welcome wishes...much appreciated!I just bought Nigel Calders book on boat maintenance. So much information and so little time to try to work through the important things...

On cars: I do really enjoy the German marques. At this point in time, I've owned 18 Audis and 7 Porsches...Sue and I sold our Boxster S in 2012 and that is amazing bang for the buck and there will def be another one sooner than later: maybe get the boat paid for and then....$10-12K will get a great 2000-2003 Boxster S....wonderful value too... I bought our 2001 for $12,500 on eBay and sold it 18 wonderful months later for $22,000 (in Canada)....

On Audis, every one has been a quattro awd and 2/3 have been turbocharged. I spent 2013 working for an Audi dealer (in sales) and bought both a 2003 S6 and a 2007 A6 Avant while working there. Career change (got liberated!!!, read fired) and put both up for sale. The S6 went first but I will buy it back sometime in the future.....The A6 is a fanatstic car and as a wagon will carry lots of goodies to Florida for the first month of working on the new boat....I just rented a small house in Punta Gorda for the month of April and plan to work on the boat EVERY DAY until she goes back into the water..........Can't wait
Audiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:55   #8

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
I was wondering what crazy cars you had.
kind regards,
Old 08-12-2013, 10:53   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Richard,

Obviously my question was in jest! German was the guess....

I've owned some whacky rides myself... British: TR3A, TR4, TR8, XJ8 and currently XK8... German: GTI (modded to 200+), 5000(T), 924, 931, and currently 951

You'll have no problems adjusting to the boat fitting life.... Enjoy and have fun!

PS: Any specific questions, ask in individual separate posts... i.e. "looking for a cheap place in Punta Gorda"

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 15:25   #10
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiguy View Post
Thanks for the welcome wishes...much appreciated!I just bought Nigel Calders book on boat maintenance. So much information and so little time to try to work through the important things...

On cars: I do really enjoy the German marques. At this point in time, I've owned 18 Audis and 7 Porsches...Sue and I sold our Boxster S in 2012 and that is amazing bang for the buck and there will def be another one sooner than later: maybe get the boat paid for and then....$10-12K will get a great 2000-2003 Boxster S....wonderful value too... I bought our 2001 for $12,500 on eBay and sold it 18 wonderful months later for $22,000 (in Canada)....

On Audis, every one has been a quattro awd and 2/3 have been turbocharged. I spent 2013 working for an Audi dealer (in sales) and bought both a 2003 S6 and a 2007 A6 Avant while working there. Career change (got liberated!!!, read fired) and put both up for sale. The S6 went first but I will buy it back sometime in the future.....The A6 is a fanatstic car and as a wagon will carry lots of goodies to Florida for the first month of working on the new boat....I just rented a small house in Punta Gorda for the month of April and plan to work on the boat EVERY DAY until she goes back into the water..........Can't wait
Yep give me Audis over most other performance marks. I has a modded 2.5 diesel Quattro that could out accelerate most stuff in the 40-70 band. Brilliant cars

Dave