Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2014, 12:20   #1

Boat: Dream
Hello Everyone! You Have Another Dreamer On Board.

Hello,

I am a long time lurker of this forum and a bit of a dreamer. I am a family man that is slowly convincing my wife that living out a dream of retiring and sailing the world is a good idea. I have quite a few years until I retire from the Corps, potentially 2023.

My love for sailing was started when I was a small boy. Our weekend family vacations consisted of packing up the VW bug, heading south to Miami and hopping on the Cal T/2 27' towards Elliot Key. We couldn't afford vacations like a normal family, so my parents decided to invest in a sailboat. It seemed that we lived on that boat since we used it so often. Most fond memories of my childhood come from being on that boat.

If my plan falls into place, I will buy a comfortable, wife friendly sailboat in about seven years. That will leave me about three years to enjoy the boat and prepare it for its deployment to paradise.

I have learned a significant amount from reading everyone's opinion and experience relating to sailing. I hope to learn more from this forum. It should help reduce my future painful learning experiences. I would continue to write, but I have to get back to finding my perfect ~$75k wife friendly monohull that I am going to purchase 7 years from now...

Andre'
Andre L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 12:22   #2

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft
Re: Hello Everyone! You Have Another Dreamer On Board.

Welcome Andre' It's great that you have a long-term plan for living your dream. Just make sure your wife is on board with your plan.
Old 02-08-2014, 13:41   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Welcome Aboard Andre',

The dream is doable, but at $75k, be prepared to put in a lot of "sweat equity". The success of the dream is largely dependent on your wife. If she is the kind of woman who expects to be cossetted, you're in for a hard time of it. If she is the kind of woman who will learn to work with you on the boat, and be truly involved in spite of it not being her dream, too, she just wants to support you, then it will work well. Most women are between those two extremes, and for them, probably the most important factor is that they enjoy it. Avoid taking her out sailing, getting her wet, cold, and frightened: a few might take that as a challenge, most as a big turn-off.

Ann

Old 02-08-2014, 13:50   #4

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53

Andre'

Welcome.

"Dreams can come true" is the subtitle of our blog. We started with a dream and turned it into a long-term plan. We set sail in Nov/Dec.

With best wishes and hoping your dream comes true too.
mcerdos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 13:55   #5

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Welcome Aboard Andre',

The dream is doable, but at $75k, be prepared to put in a lot of "sweat equity". The success of the dream is largely dependent on your wife. If she is the kind of woman who expects to be cossetted, you're in for a hard time of it. If she is the kind of woman who will learn to work with you on the boat, and be truly involved in spite of it not being her dream, too, she just wants to support you, then it will work well. Most women are between those two extremes, and for them, probably the most important factor is that they enjoy it. Avoid taking her out sailing, getting her wet, cold, and frightened: a few might take that as a challenge, most as a big turn-off.

Ann

Ann,

Great advice. I let my wife build her confidence at her own pace. We agreed a long time ago that sailing our boat must be as a team. If one of us disagrees with the sail plan, we figure out a new one.
mcerdos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 14:31   #6

Ann,

Agreed on the budget. My intent was to search for a $75k boat and put another $60/75k in it to prepare for departure. Money is a highly debated topic in these forums, but I think I have set a defendable and realistic budget. Regardless, your advice is spot on. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 02-08-2014, 14:41   #7

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

Greetings, sir, and thank you for your service. Our son is newly minted in the Corps and is still in training. We have great respect for all who serve.

I have heard that Marine wives are something special - I know Marine mothers are!

Since you have been lurking you know this is a great site. I lurked for a time until I joined recently. Many here don't suffer fools gladly. They also are glad to help.

Jump in anytime and ask or opine. Fair winds.
Old 02-08-2014, 15:07   #8

Crazy,

You are right, you don't want to cross my Mother. My Dad seems to re-learn this rule daily though...

I am lucky to have the wife that I do, she is nothing but supportive. We are both a bit crazy though. She is a Filipina that I met in Hawaii, I am a Caucasian mutt. Our cultural differences and love for life work for us.

You said that your son was newly minted, I am guessing he just commissioned in Quantico? If so, then he recently started TBS, yes?
Old 02-08-2014, 16:11   #9

I'm sorry, I think I used the wrong term. Loosely, I might add. Our son didn't want to go the college/commission route. He didn't want to sit in the classroom anymore. He had been tired of school since junior high. So, when he joined, he enlisted and is now a lance corporal. The irony of his situation is that after his recruiters saw his ASFAB score they started steering him. His next round of tests was the DLAB which led him to be chosen to go to language school (Defense Language Institute, Presidio Monterey Bay). He now sits in a classroom 7 hours a day learning his assigned language. Double irony is that he has fallen in love with languages - this after he reluctantly did his spanish in high school.

One never knows what direction life will lead one, right? He wanted to join the Marines for years. However, he put off his enlistment for a year while he worked on the boat I am restoring (check the avatar and some photos on my profile page). That year we spent working on her together was the best year of my life. My wife and I are immensely proud.

You will note that many gentleman here refer to their wives as "Admiral". I am blessed with a spouse who loves being on the boat. Her skills are not there yet but her commitment to the completion of the project is a source of amazement and wonder to me. I am truly blessed.
Old 02-08-2014, 17:43   #10

Crazy,

No need to apologize, I made the wrong assumption. There's nothing wrong with being Enlisted, I spent many years as a young Enlisted man before moving to the "dark side". The Corps must see something special in your son to send him to DLI, it's a great school, Monterey isn't half bad either. I spent a couple of years there recently at a school nearby and I kind of miss the beautiful views. I recommend visiting him while he is there, if you get the chance. There is billeting available on NPS that you can utilize during your stay. Let me know if I can help...

Thanks for the "Admiral" explanation, it fits since my wife certainly outranks me.

Andre'
Old 02-08-2014, 19:35   #11

Thank you. Our son was heavily influenced by his cousin. She is my sister's daughter. She joined the National Guard to help pay for college. Did a tour in Iraq in communications. Changed over and became a combat medic and did a tour in Afghanistan. Now a staff sergeant. She is an attorney and is seriously considering going into JAG. She told our son years ago that enlisted personnel will respect someone who comes up thru the ranks more than the "90 day wonders". Our son took that to heart - another reason he enlisted. He has already displayed leadership qualities. Who knows, he may go to the dark side eventually.

We visited him in Monterey last Thanksgiving shortly after he started his 15 month program. Big tourist area, as you know. Very pretty. We are familiar with seaside tourist areas. I spent most of my life sailing out of NE Wisconsin, a place called Door County. Very popular and a great place to sail out of.

To your post. The Chesapeake Bay area is chock a block with sailboats, as you well know. You will likely find one that suits you. Until then, go down to the marinas and try to hook up with folks looking for crews on race day. Post here that you are looking to crew on day sails and you will likely get some opportunities. As others have posted, if you are handy you are better off with sweat equity than having someone do the work on your boat, once you get it. Unless, that is, they are willing to make the passages with you. Right now, we sail the boat my parents bought years ago. I do all the work myself - don't trust anyone else. I need to learn more about electrical stuff, tho. I can fix it if I can see it and, so far, electrons are still invisible. Semper Fi.
Old 03-08-2014, 04:13   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Andre'.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 05:59   #13

Gord, thank you.

Crazyboatguy, I guess the reason I haven't bought a boat yet is because of the mandatory relocations. I can't count how many times we have moved, but another move is coming up in 2016. The next move will likely be to Japan, but I won't know until about 6 months prior. Until then, I will pursue the "crew" option.

Andre'

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 03-08-2014, 06:04   #14

By the way, I too enjoy a bit of sweat equity. Normally, if I can't figure out a solution to a problem I am trying to fix, someone has a YouTube post that will help me out. The only problem I haven't found a solution to is the lack of "me" time. That will change as the kids get older though...

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 07-09-2014, 10:15   #15

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Thanks for your service. In the Navy we used to call those folks who came up through the ranks Mustangs.
One of my best friends while stationed in Stuttgart was a Master Gunnery Sergeant and he helped me survive my Chief's initiation.
Don't buy the boat too early unless you are going to sail it locally.