Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2009, 19:08   #1

Hello Everyone, Extreme Newbie Here..Looking For Advice

Hello,

OK, my adventure starts here, thank you for your patience and advice.

I lived on an island off the coast of Georgia for 10 years and I never learned to sail or cruise but I was infected by the lifestyle from hanging out with Salty Sailors and Shrimpers at the local bars, and I now want to start and join in, something I have always planned on doing.

I am now living near the Gulf of Mexico in Florida, around Cedar Key and I would like to start my adventure but I need some advice. I will take lessons that's for sure but I am trying to figure out what boat would fit my dreams. I am envisioning a boat that I could operate by myself, something that I could stay near the coast, with a cabin to sleep in, a motor, but a boat that I could sail southward to the Keys, etc. Again, I am brand new to this so please forgive my terminology or lack thereof.

I don't have an unlimited budget and I would buy something used and then take lessons on sailing. I have read some books but I have no practical experience yet. So I am wondering if there is a brand of boat that will be that best to look for when you are just starting. For instance, how large should a boat be for sailing off the coast?

Thank you for any tips and welcoming me to the community.

Jimmy James
jimmy james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2009, 19:44   #2

Boat: Looking...
Smile

Hi Jimmy,

A good start would be to look around these forums as there is already a plethora of information here on what you are asking.

A good idea for you would be to take a basic keelboat class first (ASA 101), before you buy any sort of boat. Structured lessons are really the best way to go as they take a lot of the fear of the unknown out of what you are doing, and they are relatively inexpensive.

After that, you could start with a smaller boat, a "dingy", i.e. sunfish, daysailer, etc. Maybe join a sailing club and crew on some boats in races. As you do all of that, you will find out what type of boat you need for what you want to do.

This website is a great resource. You will find tons of answers and friendly helpful folks. Good luck!
Old 20-03-2009, 20:00   #3

hi Jimmy,
my 1st boat, last summer , a mac 25 read forums and stuff for about a year, went and took a week long course the summer before and must say i am happy withit, cant say if it is a great sail boat as i havn't really sailed anything else by myself but i love it, room for 4 comfortable with the pop top up, comfortable sleeping, and i didn't kill myself or anyone else lol, is very inexpensive, just look at craigs list, you can get one in florida for about 3 grand , all ready to go, hope this helps, and all the best in your search

wade
blue noser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2009, 06:37   #4

Floaton,

Yes, that is great advice thank you. I am looking for a group to join, starting small makes sense, the "baby steps" approach works well I think. In the end I want to have that feeling of confidence that I know what I am doing.

I will definitly go through this forum and read all that I can, I know there are tons of info here.

This post was my introduction but I slid a few questions in...cheap shot I know but once in a while can't hurt I guess

Blue noser,
I will look that boat up for sure, I 've heard of that boat. I want to have a picture to hang up and dream about. Remember in the movie Romancing the Stone, the guy carrys a picture of his boat that he dreams of sailing, keeps him motivated. That's me I'll look at the Mac 25.

Thank You for the tips and advice I appreciate it.

Jimmy
jimmy james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2009, 07:02   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Welcome Jimmy
Walk the docks...chat-up who will listen...make them want to invite you on board and maybe go sailing....
You'll figure out what works well for you.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2009, 12:38   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Jimmy,
Welcome aboard! Its good to have you here and seeking advice. We were all in your shoes at one time or another. The following link is good for seeking information.

Cruising and Sailing Search

Don't make up your mind on what kind of boat before you've been out sailing a bit and been aboard a few. My first boat was a Catalina 22 but it was just marginal for coastal cruising due to size. It was fun and taught me a lot about sailing and easy to maintain. A Catalina 27 might be a good choice for you but it is best to have more experience first before choosing. Catalinas are built fairly well, are inexpensive and are everywhere as are the MacGregors.

Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote