Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2006, 13:25   #1

Hello everyone!

Thought I should introduce myself to the boards. Name is Ric and I am 49 and holding. Grew up on east coast of Florida and been boating, surfing, and diving all my life. Started with Lasers and Sunfish and Hobies. Took a little more than a year off after college (Go Gators) in the early 80s and crewed on an Ericson 31 for a partially disabled captain. Sailed as far as Conception Island (east of Long Island and the Exumas) on two and a half different round trip voyages. I fell in love (not with the captain, with cruising) and the dream was born. But then I did really fall in love, got married, and had two boys. Talked my wife into several charters, the first one being when our first child accompianied at eight months old. Unfortunately on that occasion we lost our diesel in the middle of the gulf stream and on another charter we sat out a hurricane in Marsh Harbour. Suffice to say that even though she likes sailing, she would opt for a Carnival cabin, having experienced both. We have owned motor boats as the kids grew up, my wife correctly reasoning, while we have to work, we want to get where we're going quick, and a sailboat is not about quick. So a lot of fishing off the Florida coast, diving, especially the Keys, wakeboarding, and I still do get a dose of sailing either on a Hobie, crewing on some racing sailboats, or an occasional charter.

But now the time has arrived. My wife and I have worked hard enough and earned enough money that I am semi-retired and beginning to start to get ready to commence to initiate a purchase for when I fully retire or become unemployed, (I'm not sure what the difference is) but it should happen in about a year to 18 months. That's how I ended up here. I figured boards like these were out here but never had really looked, because the dream was so far away. It is amazing what a valuable asset it is for getting the scoop from those of you that have done it much more than me (and those that haven't ).
CaptainRic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2006, 14:27   #2

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
Welcome Ric - you've found the right place to be

Old 13-03-2006, 15:55   #3

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser
Look off continent

Ric, when purchasing your boat, don't forget to look off continent for your chosen sail. There are some good bargains out there, especially first primary ports of those who set out full time cruising then discovered the life wasn't for them.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2006, 19:15   #4

Welcome aboard Ric.

Yes, if you look around really hard. You'll find great bargin priced boats. That are in great shape for it's age, and type of boat.

You have come to the right place. And welcome aboard.

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote