Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2008, 18:16   #1

Boat: none yet
Send a message via AIM to Falcon Send a message via MSN to Falcon Send a message via Yahoo to Falcon
Hello everyone

Hello all my name I Zach I have no sailing experiance but I would like to learn I live in Michigan I would love to get a little boat and go day tripping up and down the great lakes I have some basic plans for a Piver Nugget 24 I think they are preaty nice and would suit my goals the plans are a bit vague I can make out the hull and would probobly be albe to asseble that but there is no specifics about sails or balast any ideas where to start?
Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2008, 03:42   #2

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Hi Zach,
Good luck with putting the plans into action.
Might suggest its worth getting along to a local liberary and pulling down some reading materials on small boat construction. Lots of small yachts can be built using a screw / sew / glue method and whilst I don't know anything about the model you mention - I'm sure if you really want to end up building your own - you will.
You might also be suprised how cheap an unloved yacht can be got for - keep your eyes open and you might pick up something that would save you a lot of buiding time - and get you out sailing sooner.
Either way - good luck - and enjoy.
Cheers
JOHN
Old 15-04-2008, 07:51   #3

Boat: none yet
Send a message via AIM to Falcon Send a message via MSN to Falcon Send a message via Yahoo to Falcon
I chose the building method because I have the advantage of having a neighbor that does wood working and cabnet building for a living and has a full shop If I can catch him at a slow time He would be able to helpme with the assembly for the price of beer and the promise of a ride unfortunatly the nearest usefl library is about an hour away I will continue my quest on the internet
Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2008, 22:40   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Falcon,
Welcome aboard!! I rescued a Piver Nugget from a bulldozer once. I floated it and put it on anchor and later that week it sold for $500. Wasn't my boat but I just couldn't stand seeing being crushed. It had a bit of history having been sailed across the Pacifc twice.
Hope you can complete your dream.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote