Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2009, 15:17   #1

Boat: still searching
Hello everybody

I am in the process of looking for a small sailboat(under 30' due to budget constraints) to live aboard and gain experience sailing. Ultimately I would like to sail the bahamas and if I feel ready travel down into the caribbean. I have been reading the posts here for a while and thought I would finally introduce myself.
drjekyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 15:42   #2

Boat: Riviera 35
Hi drjekyl,

How do you pronounce your name?
MoonlightShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 17:26   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Sailing is mostly about finding a way that works - for you.

As far as making it a lifestyle it helps to learn first. Not knowing what you are getting into is easier when you don't know much, but gets a lot harder after you do. You just don't want to suddenly figure it out as you start to understand it's not for you. We all here like sailing in our own way. If you read enough here you'll figure that it includes a great deal of diversity. You only need one good way for it to work for you. It's mostly about you.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 18:18   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Doctor,
Welcome aboard! Good to have you here. There is a good list of boats under 30 that would be ocean capable and fine liveaboards floating around in the old threads here on the forum. Good luck in locating it. If I come across it again I'll attach it here.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 21:32   #5

Thanks John I would appreciate that. My name is Jay and I have been looking around on the common websites such as yacht world for older boats under $10000. I have tons of questions but alot of them seem to have been addressed here at one time or another. I plan on taking a yr or two off( depending on how long my savings allow) and move aboard a boat so I can find out if this is for me. This has been a dream of mine for a long time but I have been working in a landlocked state so I kinda have to jump in wholehearted.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:53   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonlightShadow View Post
Hi drjekyl,
How do you pronounce your name?
He presumably pronounces his screen name Doctor Jekyll, to rhyme with "heckle", as in R.L. Stevenson’s “Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde”

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 17:07   #7

Boat: Albin Vega 27 Lealea
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjekyl View Post
Thanks John I would appreciate that. My name is Jay and I have been looking around on the common websites such as yacht world for older boats under $10000. I have tons of questions but alot of them seem to have been addressed here at one time or another. I plan on taking a yr or two off( depending on how long my savings allow) and move aboard a boat so I can find out if this is for me. This has been a dream of mine for a long time but I have been working in a landlocked state so I kinda have to jump in wholehearted.
Welcome aboard Doc.

Take a look at this site. There are two boats listed on the Vegas for Sale page, one in the San Juans for $12K and one in CT for $8K. They built over 3500 of these so they are plentiful and they are well known as capable cruisers. Also explore the links in my sig.

That should give you some ideas.

Malie ke kai
Old 06-03-2009, 18:21   #8

Thanks for the info Vega1860,

I have heard alot of good things about vegas and the one in the San Juan Islands looks like it is ready to go. There is also a vega listed on usedboats.com in Maryland that seems well equipped. Im wanting to buy (preferably) on the east coast so I can learn to sail there and make my way to the bahamas without doing any real offshore cruising, but I must say that the vega in the San Juans seems to be a good buy. I called about a cape dory in New England yesterday, but it is under a foot of snow.
Old 06-03-2009, 21:00   #9

Boat: Bristol 30
Welcome!!!!
Soundbounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 08:13   #10

Shiva is indeed a very good buy. I've been aboard her and I know the owners. Unfortunately they have a case of "Two foot-itis".

As for avoiding offshore; personally I feel much safer and more comfortable offshore far from rocks, shoals, surf and ****heads.

As you gain experience you will learn that there is no safety in proximity to land. Quite the contrary.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:23   #11

Boat: Bristol 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega1860 View Post
Shiva is indeed a very good buy. I've been aboard her and I know the owners. Unfortunately they have a case of "Two foot-itis".

As for avoiding offshore; personally I feel much safer and more comfortable offshore far from rocks, shoals, surf and ****heads.

As you gain experience you will learn that there is no safety in proximity to land. Quite the contrary.
Sort of like how a plane is safer at a higher altitude.
Soundbounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 08:31   #12

Boat: Riviera 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjekyl View Post
Aha, Cheers Gord, as in Dr Jekyl. Didn't spot that. I'm getting old ya know. But hey, Jay is easier.

Hi Jay,

Had a similar dream. Still do. Had a few boats, and also had those moments when I have decided "this is definately NOT for me" as whipplashed by F11 in the North Sea. But, funny though, wind moderates, sun comes out, stomach settles, go ashore, and you know what?

From the moment the attraction of shore wears off (usually measured in hours at most), I am bitting at the bit to get back afloat again.

Don't know why. Can't put my finger on it. You've just got to try it and see.

In Favour:
Adventure
Meet some cracking nice people
It's fun
You truly are master of your own domain (Red Sea apart).

Against:

Hmmmmmmmmm.
Well...
Er...

Have to let you know on that one.
MoonlightShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 11:09   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundbounder View Post
Sort of like how a plane is safer at a higher altitude.
Exactly as my flight instructor said. It is a good idea for planes to stay away from boats too.

Minor plane/boat collision at about 3:50. Watch for the pilot to fall in the water.