Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2023, 09:59   #1

Boat: Polaris 43
Hello Cruisers

First, just want to say thanks on behalf of all the lurkers out there that have gained insight by following some of these threads without even joining - huge multiplier effect beyond the replies you get.

I have taken over a wonderful Polaris 43 in order to keep it in the family. It actually had its 5 min of fame in the film He’s Just Not That Into You when Ben Affleck moves onto his boat and eventually marries Jen Aniston on it in the closing scene.

Recently returned it to its original rigging with a staysail and contemplating bringing it up to SF from LA in order to spend more time on it. Which brings me to a q - I can’t find an old thread via search function that was epic - young college dropout acquires a nice vintage small boat and proclaims he is single handing up the CA coast. Gets plenty of the old salts here posting tons of advice, comedy, etc. At one point they think he is a troll, but he is really doing it, needs rescue at HMB. Really entertaining thread, although it seemed to infuriate some. I thought this was on CF. Does it ring a bell? Thanks!
Polaris43J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2023, 11:00   #2

Boat: 1972 Hallberg Rassy Rasmus
Re: Hello Cruisers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris43J View Post
First, just want to say thanks on behalf of all the lurkers out there that have gained insight by following some of these threads without even joining - huge multiplier effect beyond the replies you get.

I have taken over a wonderful Polaris 43 in order to keep it in the family. It actually had its 5 min of fame in the film He’s Just Not That Into You when Ben Affleck moves onto his boat and eventually marries Jen Aniston on it in the closing scene.

Recently returned it to its original rigging with a staysail and contemplating bringing it up to SF from LA in order to spend more time on it. Which brings me to a q - I can’t find an old thread via search function that was epic - young college dropout acquires a nice vintage small boat and proclaims he is single handing up the CA coast. Gets plenty of the old salts here posting tons of advice, comedy, etc. At one point they think he is a troll, but he is really doing it, needs rescue at HMB. Really entertaining thread, although it seemed to infuriate some. I thought this was on CF. Does it ring a bell? Thanks!
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...st-158045.html

This may be the link you're looking for?
SV Allie Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2023, 11:49   #3

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Welcome aboard Polaris! I have stashed as many threads about West Coast cruising as I could find in this social group, you may find something helpful there. I don't specifically recall the thread you mention though.
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...t+sailors.html
Point Conception gets a lot of press but really, with a good anchorage right there, it is fairly easy to wait for a good window to go around. It's not that hard, I've done it in a 20' and 24' boat. Go in the right season and take your time and it'll be a fun trip!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2023, 13:02   #4

Boat: Polaris 43

Thank you both. Have seen that stash and it’s helpful. Dahan’s book arriving today. Was debating leaving her in San Pedro since the weekend jaunts to Catalina are so much fun. But not likely getting down to LA as often as I’d like, so planning on a late Aug slog up to SF.
Polaris43J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2023, 12:15   #5

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Welcome to CruisersForum!
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2023, 10:33   #6

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris43J View Post
Thank you both. Have seen that stash and it’s helpful. Dahan’s book arriving today. Was debating leaving her in San Pedro since the weekend jaunts to Catalina are so much fun. But not likely getting down to LA as often as I’d like, so planning on a late Aug slog up to SF.
August is typically a very good time to go and in your boat it can be a very pleasant trip without too much slogging!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser