Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2008, 06:55   #1

Boat: Gulfstar 44 - Safari Tu
Hello btrayfors - re: anchor bridles

Bill,

saw your posting (see below) about how you use bridles on your anchor rode - how do you connect your bridle to the chain? chain hook?

many thanks!
Scott - Safari Tu

"My preference is for all-chain rodes, for their strength, ease of deployment, effect on helping anchors to set properly, and peace of mind. I use 30' 1/2" nylon bridles to help cushion any shock loads on the chain, anchor, and on my deck cleats, as well as to keep the chain from jumping on the roller and disturbing my sleep"
Safari Tu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2008, 07:48   #2
Eternal Member

Hi, Scott...

Yes, I just use a galvanized chain hook (Pelican hook). Splice the bridles onto the hook.

The 30' is a bit long for most situations, though. Normally, I use less than 12-15' or so. If you use too long a bridle in settled conditions, the hook will come off the chain.

Most times, I just use a single snubber. Only deploy two (one port, one starboard) when I expect it to really blow up (over 30 knots).

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2008, 20:44   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Welcome aboard?!
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2008, 03:33   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
A couple of excellent articles by Rudy and Jill Sechez:

Sizing The Capable Snubber
Sizing the Capable Snubber - Web Exclusive Articles - PassageMaker Magazine

Snubber FAQs
Snubber FAQ's - Web Exclusive Articles - PassageMaker Magazine

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2008, 06:56   #5

Boat: Gulfstar 44 - Safari Tu
Many thanks for the excellent article and tips. Based on what I've read, for light conditions I'm going to stick with a single 1/2" nylon braid line connected to a chain hook (need to get it spliced on, rather than just tied with a bowline to increase strength). For heavier conditions, a bridle made of big 3 strand nylon line spliced to another chain hook seems like the way to go.

Couldn't believe the price tag for stainless chain hooks ($30) but this is a small price to pay for something that is holding the entire boat!
Safari Tu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2008, 11:57   #6

I have written about snubbers elsewhere, but once again.

Our 1" braid on braid (dock line) nylon snubber includes a heavy duty rubber mooring compensator. We have at least 3 twists about the core.

The compensator does several things:

1. When we set the anchor chain and attached the snubber line and tie it off to a bow cleat the compensator is between the bow roller and the water. When it stretches it shows us that the anchor rode/chain is under tension and this means the anchor is well set. If we were slowly dragging for example the chain would appear taught as the anchor is dragged along the bottom. But it would never show the tension that the compensator does. This device is like anchor is set tell tale.

2. The compensator greatly reduced shock loading from wave action. Since chain doesn't stretch you need to have some stretch to reduce shock loading. A short low stretch snubber does not cut it in my opinion. The compensator effectively adds in the stretch that an all rope rode would have.

I also have a float in the line and chafe which will save me from losing it to Davy Jones and can be used to float the anchor chain if I have to "cut and run".

I have a movable chafe patch to position it where it's needed as well.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2008, 13:35   #7

Boat: Hans Christian Christina (40') in March 09
Defjef,

Can you post a photo showing your setup? I think I understand, but a picture would help.

2divers
Old 17-12-2008, 16:00   #8

This is not the best angle to show what I use, but it's all I have:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000569 (600 x 450).jpg
Views:	229
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	6313  
Old 17-12-2008, 18:23   #9

Boat: Hans Christian Christina (40') in March 09
I thought you had yours set up as a true bridle with and attachment to either side of the bow. The boat I'm going to buy is setup to be able to use a true bridle so having a snubber on both sides wouldn't be an issue. I'm really more concerned with the bridle attachment to the chain. In most seas a simple chain hook will suffice. However being the belt and suspenders kind of guy I am, I'm tempted to look for something a little more solidly connected than that. Not sure what I had in mind, either.

I saw some stuff at the boat show in October, but nothing that strikes my fancy yet. Good thing because she's on the hard till Oct 09 for repairs and upgrades.

2divers
Old 18-12-2008, 03:53   #10

I use a SS reefing hook which has a very deep U and does not fall off. I have two snubber lines and can set it up as a bridle, but I find it is more problem than it's worth. It is important that the boat no sheer back and forth in heavy winds because on my boat there is a SS stem fitting with some bolt heads which would be a chafe point for the snubber line.

Having my snubber go over the bow roller is the least likely lead to chafe on my boat.

Tags
anchor, anchoring, bridle