Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2009, 07:01   #1

Boat: Hunter 42
Hello & question about Mac WiFi

Hi Everyone, I've been enjoying the forum for awhile and figured it was time to join. We're planing to go cruising for several months this summer and would like a long distance WiFi set up. We have a 24inch Imac running Leopard. I saw mention of a AWUSO36H on the forum - any more info would be greatly appreciated. Especially what antennae to use to extend the range.

Roy
wahoo40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 12:20   #2

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoo40 View Post
Hi Everyone, I've been enjoying the forum for awhile and figured it was time to join. We're planing to go cruising for several months this summer and would like a long distance WiFi set up. We have a 24inch Imac running Leopard. I saw mention of a AWUSO36H on the forum - any more info would be greatly appreciated. Especially what antennae to use to extend the range.
Roy, WiFi is platform independent so you shouldn't have any real problems. But what you need to figure out is if you need a directional or omnidirectional antenna. The more directional, the more you have to aim (and keep aimed) the antenna. Omnidirectionals you don’t need to aim but their range is less.

So, where do you plan on getting access to a WiFi signal?

Wahoo - A fish that allegedly can drink twice it's weight (in water); unofficial mascot of the University of Virginia for a similar (i.e., not water) reason. Also, the most decorated US submarine in WW II.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:46   #3

Maren, thanks for the reply. My research has found a marine Alpha unit at Netgate. I've received an email from them that says this unit will work with Mac OS10.5.6 (Leopard). The unit comes with an omni directional antenna. We're going to order it and see how it works, Netgate has a 30 day return policy. I'll post the results.

Well WiFi is available from NOYC with our membership but our slip is a little too far to use it. We'll also be cruising this summer so who knows...
I also have an aircard from AT&T.

Remember our Wahoo is from the New Orleans area! )
Old 07-04-2009, 11:28   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Wahoo,

Welcome aboard! I can barely access e-mail so can't help with your question. Sounds like some others can.

A Wahoo is a Hawaiian Ono. Pronounced "Oh no." Lots of sharp teeth. Marinated in coconut juice they really taste good.

Kind regards,

JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 15:20   #5

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoo40 View Post
Maren, thanks for the reply. My research has found a marine Alpha unit at Netgate. I've received an email from them that says this unit will work with Mac OS10.5.6 (Leopard). The unit comes with an omni directional antenna. We're going to order it and see how it works, Netgate has a 30 day return policy. I'll post the results.
Good, please do post the results. What is the gain on the antenna? Usually you are looking at -3dB to -6dB for an omnidirectional but, if I recall correctly, I've seen one as high as -11dB.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 20:45   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Aloha Wahoo,

Welcome aboard! I can barely access e-mail so can't help with your question. Sounds like some others can.

A Wahoo is a Hawaiian Ono. Pronounced "Oh no." Lots of sharp teeth. Marinated in coconut juice they really taste good.

Kind regards,

JohnL
Thanks for the recipe. Looks like you're handling the email just fine.

Roy
Old 07-04-2009, 20:56   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maren View Post
Good, please do post the results. What is the gain on the antenna? Usually you are looking at -3dB to -6dB for an omnidirectional but, if I recall correctly, I've seen one as high as -11dB.

I'm not sure, my head is swimming from all of this information. You might want to take a look at this from Bill Hallett at Netgate.
http://www.netgate.com/info/marine/Wifi-Marine-v26a.pdf

I'm trying to figure it out prior to ordering while Roy trys to remove bees from a house we're selling. Our plan is to leave in about 5 weeks, yikes - so much to do first!!

Dale (roy's wife)
Old 19-04-2009, 07:24   #8

Boat: Maine Cat 41
Let me know if you buy this product AND get it to work.

We have both the Alfa and the EnGenius units. The Alfa does install on the Mac (we have a MacBook Pro) and appears to work (the software says it is connected). But I cannot get anywhere on the web or send/receive email.

The EnGenius is only supported for Windows, but I bought the MacBook with the req'd software to run Windows. When I install the EnGenius s/w, I get the same results as I do w/the Alfa.

To make either of these work, I am sure I have to change/add something in System Preferences, but no luck so far. My simple little brain basically boils the problem down to this:

The Mac only wants to run AirPort and there is no way of bypassing it.

BTW, Apple and Alfa have been of virtually no help. Alfa at least responds to an email, but I can't understand what they are trying to say (could be from too many years working on Windows-based machines).
YOGAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2009, 04:10   #9

Boat: Victory V35 - Beach Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOGAO View Post
The Mac only wants to run AirPort and there is no way of bypassing it.
I use the Alfa on a Macbook and it works fine. Make sure you turn the Airport off or the Alfa will not work.

Barry
Beach Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote