Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2020, 18:53   #1

Hello and help!

Hi there,

Really excited to join this community. My wife and I have decided to make our first boat purchase a sailboat. We are having trouble deciding between the following boats:

Tanzer 22 for 6,000 (comes with stand)
Catalina 25 for 7,750
And a Santana 525 for 6,500 (comes with trailer)

Our current situation is:
We live in waterfront property and would use the boat for casual day sailing and some overnighters on a fresh water lake. We are subject to winter but freezing of the lake is rare.

Any advice is appreciated.
Dlongmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2020, 19:09   #2

Boat: Columbia 50
Re: Hello and help!

The trailer is a huge plus - worth a good bit, and you can haul out yourself. The other options require payment for hauling, winter storage, etc. With a trailer you can ppark it at your house for the winter, work on it whenever you please.

That being said, there is a LOT that goes into determining the value of each boat, such as sail inventory annd condition, installed equipment, wbat motor on each, extras like ladders anchors, lifejackets radio, nav eqhipment, battery bank and condition, pressure water vs handpump, ciiking and sanitation, etc.

One boat may have a basic pair of sails where another has a cruising chute, multiple jibs, etc. Roller furling?

See what i mean?

Matt
mlydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2020, 19:37   #3

As Matt said, lot's of "if" (like age, engine and condition). However, if everything was basically equal, I would choose the Catalina. There are zillions of them out there, so there are a lot places to still get parts (used and new), add-ons, help, etc.
leboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2020, 20:00   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

...And I'd get the Santana, because I think it might be the most fun! And the trailer conveniences, (no marina fees, easy access for doing little jobs on it) as long as the launch ramps in the area will handle the draft.

Really, you and your wife should get either the best one, or the one that appeals to you the most.

Ann
Old 28-07-2020, 05:20   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlongmoore View Post
Hi there,

Really excited to join this community. My wife and I have decided to make our first boat purchase a sailboat. We are having trouble deciding between the following boats:

Tanzer 22 for 6,000 (comes with stand)
Catalina 25 for 7,750
And a Santana 525 for 6,500 (comes with trailer)

Our current situation is:
We live in waterfront property and would use the boat for casual day sailing and some overnighters on a fresh water lake. We are subject to winter but freezing of the lake is rare.

Any advice is appreciated.

You didn't say where you are. Also, how big is the lake you're on? Are you content to leave the boat on that lake, or would you like to haul it to other lakes occasionally? Would you like to be able to beach the boat?

btw tanzer 22's regularly come up in our area for CDN$2k to 4k.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2020, 07:45   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
You didn't say where you are. Also, how big is the lake you're on? Are you content to leave the boat on that lake, or would you like to haul it to other lakes occasionally? Would you like to be able to beach the boat?

btw tanzer 22's regularly come up in our area for CDN$2k to 4k.
Thanks for all the replies! I am in the Okanagan of B.C. Canada. We would love to keep it here. We would prefer to keep it on the water if possible. I imagine having to load and unload on a trailer would deter us from getting on the water.
Dlongmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2020, 07:56   #7

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I'd vote for the Santana too for the fun factor AND trailer. Even if you don't want to take it out of the water, at least you have the option. And the trailer will help a lot in the resale. The Catalina is roomier though for those overnighters. Depends on your priorities.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2020, 12:31   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlongmoore View Post
I am in the Okanagan of B.C. Canada. We would love to keep it here. We would prefer to keep it on the water if possible. I imagine having to load and unload on a trailer would deter us from getting on the water.
You can do both. We have a trailerable sailboat, but it's in-water all season, except for an annual expedition with other sailors to some new spot every August (except for this year, boohoo).
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote