Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2021, 08:22   #1

Location: My sailboat (currently in Ontario Canada, heading south imminently)
Boat: G26
Hello... and also, never stop believing in dreams and sailboats!

Hello,
I'm Ann, despite what this thing says... good to meet you (hugs and tea all 'round) (with masks and social distancing of course!)

Finally posting instead of reading and lurking, because -- my perfect sailboat found me!!! (I'll post this request where it belongs, but... Can anyone move a 25 foot Cape Dory sailboat from Alexandria Bay (NY) to Mallorytown (ONT)? More posted in proper place)

Meanwhile, if you want to know more about me, I made my way from Calgary to Ottawa, mostly by foot, with my service/support dog, to raise awareness about the climate crisis, in 2019... And then i camped outside the prime minister's office from Dec 5 till Ottawa was put on lockdown the first time in mid-March of that year... There's a Facebook page called The Expedition - Walk to Waken the Nation... Also quite a lot of articles, etc, elsewhere online and in the news... Please look up my chosen name, Ann Cognito, and my legal name, Tanya Bucknor (one of these days I'll get around to changing it)

I gave up my sailboat dream, and my teeny tiny beginnings of a teeny tiny sailboat budget, to do that... Everything i carried with me was stolen on the road while stopped in a city... Everything i own was stolen from storage while I camped in Ottawa

But the universe has given me a 25 foot Cape Dory sailboat!!! My exact dream boat... She's even already painted blue

I just need someone to get her from Alexandria Bay (NY) to my friends' farm near Mallorytown (ONT)

Then my puppyfish and I will have our own little (floating) home, forever, and once I'm done in Ottawa, we can wander around the world tidying the oceans and cleaning up beaches, and visiting people all over the place
Ann Cognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 08:35   #2

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Hello... and also, never stop believing in dreams and sailboats!

Welcome aboard Ann! You have a very fine little boat!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 08:37   #3

Hello, and thank you... And I think so too ����⛵ I'll love her back to health... Just have to get her here!
Old 24-04-2021, 11:45   #4

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy

Have you looked into having a Canadian marine professional retrieve the boat from the US via truck and trailer so as to be able to make the drop at the Canadian farm?

I do not have any clue of the paperwork or legalities involved for crossing the border during COVID19 and for generally moving a boat from the US to Canada. Is the boat able to make it from dock or mooring to a ramp or lift for haul-out?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	map_acogn.png
Views:	66
Size:	266.3 KB
ID:	237210  
Old 24-04-2021, 12:45   #5

Uhmm... Sounds like our new friend Ann's budget might not quite stretch to a perfessional delivery. But no worries, Ann :-)!
Tell us a bit about what sailing experience you have, if any, and we'll help you on your way. Tell us also about the boat itself. Obviously, she still floats, and that is 99% of the battle won right there. The Covid bit we will have to consider in isolation from all the other stuff, but Unca Doug Ford keeps telling us he's on our side :-)!

If my geography doesn't fail me, the distance from Alexandria Bay to Mallorytown is only 8 or 10 nautical miles straight down the St. Lawrence, i.e. two hours, maximum 3, under power. You can certainly do that yourself and you don't need to sail unless you really, really want to :-)

So what sort of engine does she have? An outboard is quite sufficient for this little trip.

What we have to do is get you "back home". Get the boat through Customs and get you past the Covid hassles. Customs is just paperwork and some few bux depending on how much you paid for the boat. Then a bit more paperwork licensing the boat in Canada. Tedious stuff but not difficult, and we are here to help you.

Covid is more of a problem just now. Your getting into the US to pick up the boat should not be too difficult, but one of our friends in the States can tell you what's required. Coming back home is something they - not even Unca Ford - can't deny you, but there may be quarantine provisions you have to meet. They can be fairly expensive, but let's test the waters! The department headed by the delightful Dr. Williams should be able to guide you in that regard.

Welcome to the forum and all the best to you.

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 15:17   #6

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Welcome aboard cruisers forum!
I did the drive from edmonton to Toronto several times in 2019 to buy our boat. I cant imagine walking it! Good on ya!!
Moving the boat at this stage is a cost thing. As in a hired professional.
Once covid border restrictions lift,you would have a much easier time of it. Hopefully spring, but who knows.
Good luck and enjoy the great lakes
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 16:25   #7

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanya B View Post
She needs a tow across the St Lawrence, then to be hauled... she's missing a shroud and an outboard, also needs a ton of cleaning and some repairs, or I'd say sail her
Ann
OP mentions in another thread that boat is not quite ready to sail or steam on its own across the St. Lawrence. That and the boat is to be on the hard far inland made me think about hauling first thing.
Old 25-04-2021, 07:03   #8

Hello!
Trying, yes
My phone stinks so I've been emailing... also I have severe anxiety, etc, and talk better in writing, but email is probably not the best way to do this, so I'll start phoning anyways

I think I've contacted everyone google tells me might be able to do this, but I'm certainly open to suggestions!
Old 25-04-2021, 07:46   #9

Hello...
True, budget is a bit surreal, but also true it'll cost something to do this... So, I'll scrape up what's needed and make it work, because I need her (and she needs me)... A deal would be appreciated, but i do have to get her here, asap, and that's that 🙂

She is missing a shroud and outboard (small and used would be fine)... Needs a ton of cleaning... Sails might be ok, not sure... But she needs to be towed or hauled, unless someone wants to plop an outboard on her and stick a clothespin on their nose (I'd pay for both items)

She'd only need a small outboard... People have apparently made do with 5hp motors on them even, or so I've heard... Anyways, small and used would be just peachy

I'm in Ontario (currently Lakefield, on my way to Mallorytown)... I don't drive, never have... And my passport paperwork has gotten stalled due to the pandemic... Otherwise I'd go get her myself

Yes, Mallorytown is almost opposite Alexandria Bay, and only a little way inland... Short move, really, but difficult!

I paid nothing for her... They wanted to get rid of her... So, technically, she's salvage

But she's also going to be my home, and is the only home I've got now (I don't mean that as a woeful thing, I'm quite happy gypsying, but not in a pandemic, and i really do need to get settled in my little floating home)... So it's not like trying to move a totally unnecessary luxury yacht just for the heck of it

Hypothetically, i suppose she could even be 'salvaged' (by arrangement) from a mooring on the US side, maybe, but maybe not and I probably won't say that out loud!

Mr Picnic is bringing her to Alexandria Bay or somewhere near, beginning of May... He's waiting till I've got the next piece of the plan figured out... He can leave her in the water or not, depending how she'll travel from there... He can't come all the way, doesn't have a passport, doesn't travel (but a good reputation for hauling boats)

My experience... Learned when I was very little... Sailed a 6 foot homemade plywood dinghy with a sunfish sail all over our little lake from the time i was six till they let me use the 'real' sailboat... My grandparents let me mess around in their 22' daysailer on Egg Harbor in NJ when I was a teenager... Was a very long time ago, but I've always meant to end up on a sailboat... It just took a while... I'll learn again

Licensing... Yup, going to have to, and will most definitely appreciate advice on that please

Did I answer everything? What else would be helpful to explain?

Ann
Old 25-04-2021, 07:49   #10

Forgot to answer part... Mr Picnic is moving her from Hoboken to Alexandria Bay (or near there) beginning of May... He's waiting for me to get to this part figured out... Then he can leave her in the water or not, depending how she'll travel from there
Old 25-04-2021, 07:51   #11

Hopefully very soon...or sooner, that would be good, need my home! Must be a way.........
Old 25-04-2021, 07:54   #12

... thanks! Did have to rideshare through northwestern Ontario (no shoulder, can't get through some places with a three foot wide dog trailer)... It was a seriously beautiful walk though, loved it
Old 25-04-2021, 07:58   #13

A little way inland... But yes, right, she's missing some parts and limping quite a bit... towing and/or hauling seem more likely... Though honestly, all things considered, I'm open to flying carpets or a nice handy matter transmitter ��
Old 05-05-2021, 09:16   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
Have you looked into having a Canadian marine professional retrieve the boat from the US via truck and trailer so as to be able to make the drop at the Canadian farm?

I do not have any clue of the paperwork or legalities involved for crossing the border during COVID19 and for generally moving a boat from the US to Canada. Is the boat able to make it from dock or mooring to a ramp or lift for haul-out?
Trying to... If you have any recommendations, I'd appreciate it very much
Old 05-05-2021, 09:26   #15

People keep thinking I'm just trying to be irresponsible so I can play with my boat -- it's actually quite the opposite -- I am trying to be responsible and get my home, so I can live safely

I'm not trying to sneak around restrictions, and I take this pandemic very seriously... That's why I need her -- so I can stop couchsurfing, because it's bloody terrifying being homeless in a pandemic.. I was caught between circumstances when the pandemic began, and everything has been a mess since then... But I can live on her and be safe

And I'm certainly not trying to get anything done for free, just looking for options that will fit my limited means, because I live on a small pension... I manage, and fair is fair, but the world is sometimes a kind place, so I ask

I'm tired of people not listening and not understanding, so I came here to ask for advice hoping others here might understand this predicament... Thank you to those who have (hug)

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat