Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2021, 16:15   #16

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Hello... and also, never stop believing in dreams and sailboats!

The last 8 posts are yours Ann. I'm not reading anyone thinking you're irresponsible.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 17:14   #17

Location: My sailboat (currently in Ontario Canada, heading south imminently)
Boat: G26

true, pardon me, I'm not very good at using this and was trying to answer all the questions asked... guess i should have put all answers in one message, as they did not post with the ones i was answering... but i couldn't figure out how to see them all while posting one

however, i did not say people here were calling me irresponsible - i said i came here to find people who didn't
Ann Cognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 17:59   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Cognito View Post
however, i did not say people here were calling me irresponsible - i said i came here to find people who didn't

"People keep thinking I'm just trying to be irresponsible so I can play with my boat"

No you didn't say they were calling you that...maybe I misinterpreted.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 05-05-2021, 18:00   #19

nevermind... he's gone and sold it out from under me... was a verbal/email agreement, and the email is gone, so that's the end of that... nevermind the mushy nonsense about believing in dreams, i've lost too many now
Old 05-05-2021, 18:07   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
"People keep thinking I'm just trying to be irresponsible so I can play with my boat"

No you didn't say they were calling you that...maybe I misinterpreted.
yes, you did misinterpret... people elsewhere have said that (about irresponsibility and such), so i came here... cripes, is this a sailing forum or a grammar forum?!
Old 05-05-2021, 18:36   #21

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Well perhaps... stay in touch with him and say "If that deal falls apart, give me a call." Worked for me. A month after I thought I had missed my chance with my boat, the previous owner called me and said, well, the kid can't keep it after all, do you still want it? I sailed her home within a week! Ya never know. But fear not, the universe has other good boats lined up! Maybe a better one! As nice as a Cape Dory 25 is, a 27 or 28 would be better as a live aboard. Keep the faith!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 18:39   #22

Boat: Grampian 26

Hi Ann.

Everyone has pretty much nailed your options. It's going to come down to what both sides customs have to say about the trip. Everything after that is just a to do list. I too am in Ottawa as are several others on CF. I sail my girl out of Whitby. Perhaps we'll pass either here or there.

Fair winds [emoji569][emoji1]
Tim
Nauticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 18:46   #23

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Ann, i sense the stress you are under. Being prickly with people who are trying to help you is like throwing a wet blanket on a shivering kid. Anxiety is real and can affect your reasoning and and logic.

You said he gave you the boat for free. Then you say he sold it out from under you. When he gave you the boat he should have signed over the DMV registration to you...so then it is legally yours. Perhaps you couldn't accomplish your plans as quickly as he felt were satisfactory.

Ann, there are lots of boats in municipalities that are either liquidated....crushed and hauled away...or sold for pennies on the dollars. You can find some of these boats on Craig's list or Federal liquidation websites....also walking the docks can find delapidated boats. Marinas will only allow the nasty boats to accumulate for so long before they toss the owners out. Especially if the skipper is wayward on his rent.

Which brings me to the next question....I don't know about Canadian boat slips...but where i live in San Francisco bay area...it is quite difficult to get a liveaboard slip. You seem to be a good person with economic challenges. Boat ownership is no joking manner when it comes to money.

If your pension is small...have you thought about going south of the border? I just took my boat out of San Carlos Mexico. There are plenty of skippers who live on less than 800 month on the hard or in the harbor. I think it is like 3-4 dollars a day with showers and electricity to stay in the yard. Costs nothing to be moored out in the harbor. There are plenty of these spots all over south of the border. But I advise you Ann....it takes 'sand' to live on a small beat up boat with small cash reserves. You will learn a lot of skills about resourcing, procurement, bargaining, etc. Food is cheap and medical is 20% of the cost of USA medical. There is a reason there are many expat Americans living abroad. Money is probably the main thing.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 19:06   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Cognito View Post
yes, you did misinterpret... people elsewhere have said that (about irresponsibility and such), so i came here... cripes, is this a sailing forum or a grammar forum?!

No reason to get testy with me. Everyone here was trying to help. There are some contradictions with your posts. For reasons of moving forward I wish you well and that you find another free or paid for boat that will suit your means.
Old 05-05-2021, 19:50   #25

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy

Maybe it is better to try to get something on your Canadian side of the border, that you can visit beforehand and more easily firm up the details of change-of-ownership and transportation. It is really easy to fall in love with a boat and ignore flaws that should be signals to walk away.
Old 06-05-2021, 07:12   #26

Ann,

Don't give up on your dream! There was a reason that you did not get that particular boat. I would think that it was a blessing in disguise. The main thing is not to let this one boat get you down. Keep doing you research and ask questions.
Time Theory is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat