Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2017, 09:55   #1

Question Hello All! Looking for some help

My name is Paul I'm pretty new to sailing, but have done some boating and jet skiing over the years. Last year was when I started to get into sailing, going out a few times out on a lake and have been hooked ever since. Spent the off-season by going to the Annapolis sail shows, reading and watching videos on sailing. This summer I plan to focus on learning the basics at the same lake with the lakes sailing club, there are a few experienced guys willing to teach me.
Going from there I would like to hear some feedback and opinions. I might get the summer off school next year (2018) and I want to expand my sailing experience with the free time. One of opportunities that I have stumbled upon from reading is crewing a boat, there are a couple websites out there (including this forum) that have posting for such adventures. Ideally I would be looking to island hop or do a destination sailing in the Canada to Caribbean general region. So I want to hear from experienced people whether only a season of sailing is too little of experience to do such venture? Are there generally captains looking to teach? What are those sails in general like? I would also like to hear from people who have done something like this. Thank you!
PBaybakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 10:30   #2

Boat: 97 Hunter 430 43 ft.
Re: Hello All! Looking for some help

It isn't a bad way to learn, you mileage may vary of course. I take volunteers from time to time to help me move long distance etc. others may provide for longer experiences and travels but you are probably going to work your rear off. I met some great guys on here who helped me cross the gulf.
Tkeeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 11:50   #3

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada
Re: Hello All! Looking for some help

The sailing club is a great place to learn. The more time on the water, and the more types of boats and captains, the better. Sail every time you get a chance.

I found the Power Squadron classes very useful when I was learning.

One helpful suggestion - when giving your boating experience to a prospective captain, don't list time on a jet ski as "boating experience ". They probably won't see it in the same light you do.

All the best!

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote