Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2008, 19:41   #1

Hello all and a question

My name is Zach and i first came to this site in order to complete a small business plan for a class in college. Me and my partner were writing a plan to start up a business involving chartering a yacht or sailboat. Anywho, I am in Florida currently, I was born in Arkansas, but consider Charleston, SC home.

My question is more of a request for your thoughts. I would like to purchase an old sailboat for cruising, one that needs to be restored and do it myself. I am in the Navy, and wouldn't have time to do it full time of course, but that is ok, because I wouldn't have time to sail it for several years. Upwards of ten really. And it would be for personal use, not to sell or anything. What kind of hull, where should I buy it, etc? Thanks
meathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2008, 03:34   #2

Boat: Allied Princess, 36-Scallywag
Zach,
Buying a boat to fix up and not use for ten years is not a good business plan. A boat not being used needs as much upkeep as a boat being used. You would be paying for storage fees for ten years. If I were you, I would save the cost of the storage fees and buy a boat at the end of tens years when it could be used. Would you buy a car and store it for ten years?
John
scallywag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2008, 03:38   #3

Boat: Endeavour CC 40' AbbyGale
...unless you bought one without a mast, on a trailer, that you could keep in your backyard. That way you could start in the bottom of the bilge and start working your way up, slowly until 9 years from now you would finally put a mast on it and oil in the brand new engine...
Old 22-06-2008, 03:49   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
because I wouldn't have time to sail it for several years. Upwards of ten really. And it would be for personal use, not to sell or anything.
I would have to agree with John. The calendar is not boat friendly. Time is as much an enemy as is use and salt water. Boats you fix up over time suffer a lot of problems especially if you have to close them up for periods when you can't work on them. It's pretty hard to store a boat on land for free and the costs of being in the water are going to include bottom painting every other year.

Better plan - take some sailing classes so you can do a few charters as you get the time and actually do some sailing. You will spend less money and can enjoy the bottom line about boats - using them. As you grow in experience your tastes and desires may change and you will be learning more as you go along. Then when you are ready you will know more and have more money saved. A boat that needs 10 years to fix up just isn't worth sailing. A girl like that will take all your money and break your heart then turn old and beat you a second time. Storing a car would be easier and really can be used to compare.

Any used boat you ever buy will need enough work to give you a belly full. You can enjoy it to some extent since most of us with boats do a lot of our own work. Wait until you can use it and then buy one that isn't a wreck and be able to use it as you fix it. That is a solution that does work.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2008, 09:16   #5

Meathead,

Here is an idea that might work for you.

Take a look at getting something like a Montgomery 17. It's small and you can tow it behind your car when you are transfer to another base. You can learn a LOT and get out on the water NOW. It won't take up a lot of time now.

Then, after a few years you can move up if you need to. And the move will be made a lot easier because you will know what counts for you!

By the, you may not even have to move up!
A recent note....
> We got a message from Wilhelm and he made it non-stop to
>
> "Rititea" (Gambier Island) on Feb 20th. (He left San Diego the
>
> day after Thanksgiving. (November 23rd 2007)
>
> He said he feels good and will start again in 2 weeks to
>
> Austral Island (French Polynesia) and New Caledonia. From
>
> there he will cross to Australia.
>
> Gambier Islands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
>
> For those who are new on the list; Willy is singlehanding his
>
> Montgomery 17 to Africa. He provisioned the boat with
>
> enough food and water for 100 days. (He also had a hand
>
> operated water maker). It appears he just did 90 days
>
> solo crossing this portion of the Pacific.....WOW... He is now in Vanuatu!!!!!!!!

Greg
Delezynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2008, 14:46   #6

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by meathead View Post
My question is more of a request for your thoughts.
If I were you, I would use the Navy to your advantage. Join the US Navy Sailing Assn. If you are slick you will also check out what is at the MWR. If you are at NWS, this the link.

This way you get access to training, boats & others with the same interest (useful if you want to charter a larger boat). A lot of the training is a small boat. Don't worry about it. The theory is the same, as are the terms. And the big thing here is the contacts.

If you end up getting a boat against what I think is some very sound advice, many naval stations have marinas where you dock at a reduced rate.

Perhaps the best person to ask is Sandy. I think he was a sailing instructor at Annapolis.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2008, 15:05   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
Hi Zack. Check out the Naval Sailing Asociation for sure. Take the classes, qualify for everything (and have a ball in the process) and you can then walk into any sailing site, take an area check out, and be sailing at your new duty station. We have quite a range of boats, from daysailers to small cruisers and more, including some big Ex-Academy Ketches, and soon some Navy 44's if I understand correctly. Qualify on those, build time, and get a Coast Guard Captain's License. Have more fun in the meantime. Meet other people, including some senior people who could help your career. But every time you go sailing, put a chunk of change in TSP. You will have enough money for big things in a short time. Life is short: fill it up. Close out your career at the Naval Academy, and meet all of the movers and shakers in the Sailing World; you could find your self circumnavigating, crewing on eco research vessels, or taking a shot at an America's Cup position. Or running a major charter operation before your hair turns gray!
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 22:31   #8

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Zack,
Ditto to the last two posts. I was fortunate enough to go through all the training the Navy had to offer and earned qualification for open ocean racing on their largest vessels (at the time) Luders 44 yawls and taught for them too. It is a great opportunity for you so please take advantage of it. If after lessons you still want to buy and rebuild a boat you'll have lots of experience in different types to make an educated choice.
Thanks for serving!
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote