Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2021, 04:18   #46

Re: Hello again, scene 1 take 2 near Kingston

Here's a second-hand 25lb CQR:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-boat-parts-t...hor/1565322031

The guy wants $200 for it, but as Marine Outfitters has them for $220 new, I would offer $120...

Cheers,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2021, 05:36   #47

Haven't read all the responses so apologize if this has been mentioned. I would never support a boat on cinder blocks. They can crush easily with any shifting weight. Need solid wood or some other solid material for weight bearing.
TBill36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2021, 07:01   #48

Location: My sailboat (currently in Ontario Canada, heading south imminently)
Boat: G26

Good morning... She's still standing... Closer inspection soon

Don't want to wait for the marina that does have a week of space because that begins the 22nd... Maybe will be stable enough when the stands get here but true there's more to it... Weight in bad places, the structural iffy-ness of cinderblocks......... Even painting the bottom this way is unnerving but can't find a place to do it between moving and launching so I'll use a roller and broom handle (and probably more paint i know, oh well)

Some things that concern me about just going off and anchoring... Was going to have a budget and time for this -- next month! It'll work out somehow though

My sailing skills! And I'm not familiar with the boat herself yet... more concerned about others than myself... Shooing away visions of tangling with a waterskier or somehow waking up in the path of an oncoming cargo ship or something equally dire and unlikely

Anchor - not sure what sort or how much chain (thank you for your link to the posted one, LittleWing77, finding out)

Only have about half the required safety kit

No charts, haven't got the Fishfinder I'm supposed to hook up as a depthfinder, just have a crummy smartphone with no data

Probably a lot of other things, i know the list was longer

So considering that, is it inadvisably idealistic to launch and be happy finding anchorage? Alternatives... Wait for the week at the marina (trust the stands, probably be that long till someone can move her anyways)... Move her asap to storage till i find dockage (ugh, but if going anyways would be utterly stupid and irresponsible, ok)... Go anyways (because I'd rather, and maybe I'm overworrying because I do tend to do that, hence asking clearer heads here, for more experienced opinions)

Who said go small go simple go now??? (Not here, a couple who live aboard and write) ...I didn't mean to take that quite so literally!
Ann Cognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2021, 07:02   #49

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Hmmmm at the risk of drifting this to an anchor thread, I will only say that you are sure to get a variety of opinions on the virtues of a used CQR anchor, and I'd venture most of them likely to be negative.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2021, 07:18   #50

Just adding... Tony (whom I bought Skoro from) would have plopped her in and taken off as soon as the bottom was painted, and was going to do a first trip with me right from the boatyard as she was (might still have time, will ask)... So I'm optimistically figuring he felt everything was good on her... 'course, that's just the boat herself, maybe anchor, he said it's the one they used (she was on Wolfe Island) ...and I still haven't got the 'things' (charts etc noted above)... But.........
Old 16-06-2021, 08:06   #51

Tony says
"I believe it’s a Delta anchor, I think 22lb. Good for most bottoms, struggling the most with rocks, but that’s true of most anchors. I don’t remember exactly how much, but I think it’s about 15-20 ft of chain and 85 ft rode so you can anchor in 12 ft or so of water safely."

Also said she'd be ok without a new coat of bottom paint right now, considering the circumstances... will get growth anyways if she's mostly sitting (I'll be stripping the vc17 off somewhere before end of summer, pretty much talked myself into not sticking around for winter so will need saltwater bottom paint)........ May I ask for opinions on the advisability of skipping the bottom paint, please?
Old 16-06-2021, 08:52   #52

Boat: Rafiki 37

Ann, given your uncertainties, I'd now recommend you not try to anchor out on your own yet. Wait the week, then tie up at Gan. marina. Get things sorted at a relaxed pace. Once you're ready, do some day trips out to some of the anchorages I mentioned. And get to know some local boaters who will give you on-the-ground advice.

Given Tony's response, I doubt he's done much anchoring. That rode is barely adequate for long-term anchoring. I'm not a fan of Deltas, but they can work. Personally, I'd invest in a good anchor like the ones I mentioned earlier.

Think about it this way: If this is your home, and you plan to be off the dock most of the time, then your anchor system is second in importance only to keeping the water out of your boat. This is not the place to scrimp.

You will get growth in the Thousand Islands, especially if you sit still. It will mostly be soft growth, unless zebra mussels are a problem. Talk to locals. They will know best.

VC17 is going to be hard to strip off, but it must be done if you're going to salt water. In the meantime, getting a coating of it on before you go in now is a good idea.
Old 16-06-2021, 09:01   #53

Clearer heads usually have wise words
Advice all being taken to heart
Will keep figuring out
More later
Hugs and tea all 'round
Old 18-06-2021, 05:49   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Hmmmm at the risk of drifting this to an anchor thread, I will only say that you are sure to get a variety of opinions on the virtues of a used CQR anchor, and I'd venture most of them likely to be negative.
Yup. +1 Don's right.

If the boat already has a Delta, stick with the Delta.

It was just the only used one available on Kijiji that was a good weight for a Grampion 26...

On a delivery two weekends ago to your area, Ann, I also found their onboard Danforth was useful/good.

Fair winds!
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 06:06   #55
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Hello again, scene 1 take 2 near Kingston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Cognito View Post
Found some lumber... Probably not placed right too, it's put where and how I could, similar to the suggestion earlier

Was wondering that about the keel, what you said... Ugh, why do people say they can do things they can't?

Missed the cradle place, sent an email and will try calling again... True that's probably out of budget but might as well check... Could I get it under her now though, or is that an idea for next time?

Still looking for stands and rearranging the budget

Will do the bottom as soon as I get stands... and look for a marina and get her in asap... Was thinking to start on the Rideau but could be on the St Lawrence, will see who's got space (and relatively good rates, if i can be that picky) and can launch her

Guess painting her blue above the waterline will have to wait ☹️ (yes I know that's small potatoes, just sad about it)
I would suggest you place 12" Square plywood pads between the timber and hull to spread the load, it's to small an area as is, also shorten the timbers so the angles is closer to 75* and any load is downwards more than sideways.
See earlier example I posted.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 07:19   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Yup. +1 Don's right.

If the boat already has a Delta, stick with the Delta.

It was just the only used one available on Kijiji that was a good weight for a Grampion 26...

On a delivery two weekends ago to your area, Ann, I also found their onboard Danforth was useful/good.

Fair winds!
LittleWing77
Added to list:
Rocna Vulcan Galvanized Anchor - 12kg

35' of chain to add to what I have (1' overlap with three connectors, will that work?)

Three strand nylon rode.... I think I put 150' on the list
Old 18-06-2021, 07:21   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I would suggest you place 12" Square plywood pads between the timber and hull to spread the load, it's to small an area as is, also shorten the timbers so the angles is closer to 75* and any load is downwards more than sideways.
See earlier example I posted.
Thank you Boatman, that makes good sense
Old 18-06-2021, 07:39   #58

Boat: 1987 Southerly 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Cognito View Post
Hello,
She's a Grampian 26 named Skoro (it's Czech for Almost, there's a story) and I'm happy
Always up for a good story... (note my user name).
Slovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 07:41   #59

Welcome Ann to the Grampian Family.
You have lots of support available.
You just missed the Grampian (Virtual) Reunion.

https://grampianowners.com

Lots of "Grampian" videos on Youtube.

"Grampian G26 Trailer Launch and Mast Stepping"

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR_...2Djc3mrz0OGgiA

Allan Stockell; grampianmarine@gmail.com

Stabilizing your G26.
Long poles/posts can be used to stabilize your boat for painting & safe storage.
They are used to brace the hull from the ground up to the rigging chainplates.
I make mine 2-3 ft longer and use a turn buckle, chain & shackles to make the attachment down to the chain plate.
I make mine by nailing 2x6's together, also 6x6's work well.
Extra pieces of 2x6 can be added to increase the ground footprint.
These braces placed on either side of the hull are connected together with large ratchet straps under the hull. Now you are Hurricane rigged.

I would suggest you look for a 6 pad adjustable cradle.
There are a few boat salvage, removers, breakers on Facebook & Kijiji.
They usually have them.
NB. I am currently building a trailer that will move a G26 or a G30 cradle and boat together.
Congrats on your purchase.
jeepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 08:10   #60

I posted my reply above before reading all the others.
Boat stands are usually available used for $50 -100 each.
I have a couple of mooring balls out your way.
One in Kingston Bay.
One off Wolfe Island.
jeepers is offline   Reply With Quote