Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2008, 08:33   #1

Hello

I just wanted to introduce myself and say I need some major help. I have never sailed before but my friend has. We are thinking of getting a trimaran and sailing around the south seas for about a year. Any advice on finding out the requirements, (as in safety) or where to go to find out how to stock up for such a trip? I am very interested and have a lot to learn. Thank you
Aimee
aimee0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2008, 08:40   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
WELCOME,

What kind of experience does your friend have? Possibly your friend is already very knowledgable? If both have no real experience then maybe lessons would be a good idea? Many questions can be answered here on the forum. There is an extreme wealth of knowledge here.

I provision just as I provision my house. I eat the same things ashore as at sea. Unfortunatley we are no good at fishing, so we don't often get a chance at fresh seafood, unless bought......LOLOLOLOLOL
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2008, 09:08   #3

Thank you. He is pretty knowledgable but we have a long way to go.
Old 21-08-2008, 09:50   #4
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
That's great, so ask away, and any question here will sooner, or later be answered!
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2008, 09:52   #5

Boat: none
Ahoy aimee0404!

While I think sailing is always a great idea, loosing site of land for the first time in an unfamiliar boat with a shorthanded crew is a good way to ruin a friendship. I would recommend some sailing courses. I would feel better if you learned enough to handle the boat yourself for those times when you're friend can't be on deck. You'll have much more fun if you feel in control of the boat rather than the boat being in control of you. Spending time on other peoples boats is also a good way to learn what kind of boat is for you. Trimarans are not everyones cup of tea and boats are not one size fits all. You might consider joining a sailing club, crew in the races, sail on other members boats. This is an excellent way to sample a variety of boat types.

Things you'll need for your first sail:
sunscreen
sunglasses ( with strap )
deckshoes ( any white-soled shoe )
hat
water bottle

Things you'll want for your second sail:
personal lifevest ( an improperly fitting vest is almost as bad as no vest at all )
whistle ( attach to lifevest )
sailing gloves ( salty ropes, ugh )
skin lotion ( salty ropes, ugh )
reading material ( sailing is long periods of boredom interspersed with moments of terror )
swimsuit
towel
gym bag ( to put everything in )

Welcome to the forum and please feel free to ask lots of questions.
Old 21-08-2008, 10:46   #6
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Hello, Aimee.

Welcome to Cruisers Forum. Beth Leonard's book, "The Voyager's Handbook" is a pretty thorough discussion of many aspects of long-distance cruising.

Here are a few links that might interest you:

http://www.bethandevans.com/

http://www.landlpardey.com/

http://wesail.com/

http://cruisingresources.com/Ocean_Voyaging
Old 21-08-2008, 11:20   #7

Thank you guys so much. I have been looking over the forum and have found a lot of information already. I also agree with learning to "run" the boat on my own. I used to drive a semi across the country and at this point am confident enough to do whatever I put my mind to.
Old 22-08-2008, 00:56   #8

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
Have a look at 'Specing a new cat' thread running at the moment.
Lots of ideas, most exceed most budgets, up to you how much you prune off them.
Other threads give 5 litres drinking water per person per day. Ten times that for washing self and clothes. Choice of salty to wash, rain to rinse or a bigger watermaker.
You'll probably not want to pay for a fridge or freezer and this means fresh food for the first three days or so. After that it's dry or tinned and dry is lighter. Experiment before you buy loads, do you like it, can you mix them etc. There's even a thread somewhere on dried foods.
Learn to fish off a moving boat! and how to clean the fish safely, there's a poison sac in every one.
The rest is as easy as falling off a log. And just as wet.
Old 22-08-2008, 05:16   #9
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleven View Post
... Learn to fish off a moving boat! and how to clean the fish safely, there's a poison sac in every one...
?????

I didn't know that. Can you tell us more?
Old 22-08-2008, 05:53   #10

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
The gall bladder, just ahead of 'Exit Only' (arrise without the ri).
Not necessarily poisonous but it's got a foul flavour and will ruin the pot if ruptured while cleaning.
There's a nack that fishermen make look really easy.
Old 22-08-2008, 06:36   #11

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler
Some species do have poisonous parts like freshwater carp and blowfish maybe others. It is also important to learn which species and sizes can carry ciguatera and avoid eating them.
In my experience the most dangerous part of fishing is getting hooked by lures with multiple trebel hooks when unhooking a flopping fish, stuck with a fish spine or cutting yourself while cleaning them. I fish with single hook lures and wear a cut proof glove while cleaning, it gives you a better grip on them too.
Good luck sailing and fishing
Steve
stevensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2008, 06:45   #12
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensc View Post
...In my experience the most dangerous part of fishing is getting hooked by lures with multiple trebel hooks when unhooking a flopping fish, stuck with a fish spine or cutting yourself while cleaning them...
Very good point, Steven.

A while back, I read about a situation on an offshore passage where a crew member got a small puncture while dealing with a fish that had been caught. He quickly developed a form of blood poisoning, and would have died if the boat had not been within range of a rescue helicopter. He was airlifted to shore and successfully treated.
Old 29-08-2008, 20:20   #13

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Aimee,
Welcome aboard! By now you've noticed that sometimes we get sidetracked. My best advice is to go to the public library and check out a few books and take a basic sailing class. You'll start to learn more about the questions you need to ask. "Start Sailing Right!" is a book I always recommend.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote