Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2008, 22:03   #1

Boat: Baba 30
Hello!

Hello! We are Bob and Sharon, currently living in Port Townsend, WA. We sail our 41' Morgan OutIsland in Puget Sound and north to the Islands during the summer monthes. We are considering selling our Morgan and relocating to Southern Cal (or Mexico) and buying a boat there for year-round cruising. I am a marine electrician/ diesel mechanic, Sharon is a multi-talented office type. Our kids (and grandkids) are in Montana, where we resided until a few years ago. Yeah we traded the mountains for the sea! Anyway, would love to hear from folks.
bob and sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 23:48   #2

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Welcome to the site Bob & Sharon...Nice to have you aboard. Why not sail your M41 to Mexico?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 07:36   #3

Boat: Sceptre 41
Hi Bob and Sharon:

Welcome aboard. My family and I used to live in MT too. After a brief stint in the Bay Area we now live in the Sierra Foohills. Our boat is currently in Astoria OR. Sail to So Cal or Mexico if you get the chance. That is where we are headed.

BTW where in Montana did you live? Did you sail Flathead Lake?

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 08:24   #4

Thanks for the greeting!

We lived in the Beartooth mountains between Bozeman and Livingston, MT for 14 years. Our sailing was limited to Canyon Ferry Lake west of Bozeman. Where the wind was either non-existant or blowing 40+ knots! The Canyon Ferry Yacht Club is there with lots of great folks. And while we have really enjoyed sailing the San Juans, we would like to be able to live aboard full time in a warmer climate. Having grown up in souhthern Cal, and spent some time in Mexico, we thought those places would be "just right".
Take care! Bob
Old 12-01-2008, 10:44   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Bob and Sharon,
Welcome aboard!! Good to have you here on the forum. I really like Port Townsend. Made the Wooden Boat Festival in September.
Hope someone can help you out with your trade.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2008, 21:03   #6

Thanks for the greetings! We thought long and hard about sailing our Morgan down to Mexico. Basically it boiled down to 1) too much money to prepare the boat for the open ocean, 2) we are relatively new sailors and my wife would not be comfortable trimming/ changing sails alone (on watch) on this large a boat. So we are looking to downsize, and thought we may as well buy the next boat down where we want to be, then with additional experience - cruise on....
Have a good one!!
Old 16-01-2008, 05:36   #7

Boat: First learning :) but I'll buy one once im ready.
Aint got nothing to say except ,

Welome Aboard !
and have a good time

LBCS
CptnLBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2008, 06:05   #8

Hi Bob and sharon:

Went elk hunting outside of Livingston a couple of times. Beautiful country. For us the winters got too long and we came up a little sort on money every month so we decided to move.

Good luck on finding a different boat. I chartered an OI 41 once very comfortable boat but b/c I come from a racing back ground the boat was a little to slow for me. Many cruisers take on extra crew for the longer passages. In fact my understanding is that Port T is a good place to find people to help you bring the boat down the coast. So if you do find a boat up there (as I did) spend some time cruising the PNW. It is beautiful. I guess you already know that.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Old 16-01-2008, 11:23   #9

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Welcome Bob and Sharon,
Hope you enjoy the site and find it as useful as we do. Good luck in finding the boat you want - and happy sailing.
JOHN
Old 16-01-2008, 17:37   #10

John, thanks for the greeting! Yeah Charlie we loved MT but the winters really wore on us, especially so since we lived back in the Beartooth mountains and both worked in town. We wouldn't trade the experience for anything though. Raised our kids in a great environment, and now they have kids! Montanas economy is tender, right now things are slowing down big time!
Sharon and I are 46 yrs old and figured if we were going to pursue this sailing dream we better get a move on! We're hoping to be sailing in warmer weather next year, full time we hope!
Take care! Bob
Old 16-01-2008, 17:50   #11

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
Welcome Bob & Sharron.

Do you have any idea where you plan to settle in SoCal?

I'm in Beverly Hills and about 5 miles from Marina Del Rey. Let me know if I can do anything for you.

Probably a good idea to sell the boat if you're going to work down here for a while. It's quite expensive to keep a boat in a marina here. Sailing isn't that great either. Day sailing is fun but there really isn't a lot of nice safe anchorages for weekend sailing. Most boats just sit in the marina and rot down here.
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2008, 22:54   #12

Bob and Sharon:

We can trade Montana winter stories over cervesa in Mexico. I'm 44 and wife is a little older. Still have two kids in the coup 9 and 11. Good luck finding the boat that you want and don't forget that no matter what question you ask on this forum you will get an answer. Most qestions about what kind of boat to buy get replied to in this manner Buy the same boat I have its the BEST. LOL

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 16-01-2008, 23:13   #13

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Bob and Sharon:

Most qestions about what kind of boat to buy get replied to in this manner Buy the same boat I have its the BEST. LOL
WAIT!!!...I thought my boat was the best???
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2008, 09:31   #14
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Welcome Bob and Sharon,
From south Florida!
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote