Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2017, 03:53   #1

Boat: 37 ft Aluminium Cutter - Roberts design
Has anyone heard of a Voyager 36 cat?

Hi Everyone. I’ve been lurking long enough in the shadows reading the miriad fascinating topics on this fabulous site. So now it’s time to join up.

My name is Andy, I’m 54 and live on the Sunshine Coast in Queensland, Australia. I’ve sailed since I was 10 in small and big boats-all mono’s and have things like Sydney-Hobart, Fastnet and 50k nm under by belt predominantly in Northern European waters and a few ocean deliveries as skipper.

My plan is to buy as a liveaboard with my two teenage sons. To me, a cat makes sense in view of liveable space. A mono (unless a smaller centreboarder) can’t get over the bar into the river where I will be moored. I hasten to add that the single most important requisite is that the cat is liveable. Sailing performance and offshore capability are well down the list.

I’ve inspected a few cats, one being a Voyager 36. It looks a bit like a shed on two hulls but provides good accommodation and has been in charter meaning it should be tough. If anyone’s interested, here’s the link.

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for...ager-36/203891

Apologies for rambling on but here are my 2 questions. Does anyone have any knowledge of these yachts and their pedigree and what are your thoughts on the asking price?

Thanks in anticipation if any constructive feedback.

Cheers Andy
Wideocean7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:28   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Has anyone heard of a Voyager 36 cat?

Howdy and Welcome Aboard Andy!

I cannot help you with your question. But others CF members in the Multihull forum here on CF will likely have some opinions or advice for you.

From your description of your experience, I am sure your posts will be a valuable addition to CF.

Bon Voyage on CF and on the water too.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 02:34   #3

Thanks very much for replying Steady Hand. I think the cat I am looking at is quite a local boat and probably not well known outside Australia due to its limited offshore credentials. Worth asking though.

Cheers Andy.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:58   #4

Thats an interesting one.

I'm sure one of the Australian posters will know the history.

Australian production multihulls went through a period of , not so much development but flopping/ recycling of existing moulds to produce boats.

I seem to remember that the Simpson- Clouds/ Elite/Voyager are all "brothers to a different mother". shall we say.

Check the Bridge deck clearance. You may find the Performance Polars are similar to Thor Hayerdhals famous ride.
Old 11-10-2017, 03:32   #5

Thanks Seaslug. Your feedback is much appreciated. I think you are right that the Voyager is a reincarnation of other designs/names including Sabre (Sable?). The underwing clearance is very low for offshore needs but ok for my live aboard requirements.