Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2014, 14:41   #616

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Re: Guns on a Boat, Yes or No?

[QUOTE=KISS;1660773]Fro the research I've done, here's how I see it:

The best job for this task IMO would be a bolt action high powered rifle - rested on the cabin roof, you will win any engagement with AK-47 wielding gunmen on a bobbing skiff (in all likelihood, they'll just run away once you start firing in their general direction). QUOTE]

oh, this site is starting to make sense of that reality tv show Doomsday Preppers, and the Australian show of Bogan Hunters.
Old 22-10-2014, 14:52   #617

@Rustic Charm

Any use of any gun in any situation by anyone* = doomsday preppers.

Got it.

*correction: anyone who's salary is not financed by taxpayers

-- Seneca
Old 22-10-2014, 14:55   #618

Quote:
Originally Posted by KISS View Post
@Rustic Charm

Any use of any gun in any situation by anyone* = doomsday preppers.

Got it.

*correction: anyone who's salary is not financed by taxpayers
wow! what a leap. I've hunted most of my life (until the late 90's when the laws changed here due to the Port Arthur Massacre) and armed as a cop for 14 years. So, no, not even close.
Old 22-10-2014, 15:04   #619

Okay, then why would you call it "doomsday preppers" to have a weapon aboard a boat?

To say it's unnecessary, the risk is small, it's not worth the hassle, etc - that I could understand, and we'd just agree to disagree. But to act like I'm a nutter to even contemplate having a weapon aboard is something else.

-- Seneca
Old 22-10-2014, 15:20   #620

Quote:
Okay, then why would you call it "doomsday preppers" to have a weapon aboard a boat?
I didn't!

Quote:
To say it's unnecessary, the risk is small, it's not worth the hassle, etc - that I could understand, and we'd just agree to disagree. But to act like I'm a nutter to even contemplate having a weapon aboard is something else.
Dude (or dudess), it's the bit about taking potshots with a rifle resting on the deck I was referring too. one day we will hear of you going to jail is what's me thinking.
Old 22-10-2014, 15:31   #621
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"

Anyone who believes a round fired from a non repeating rifle on a boat is going to hit its target except by a fluke has obviously no experience and should be the last person to own a gun.
Old 22-10-2014, 15:34   #622
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

There seems to be a pretty decent cruisers "web", that is pretty much anything that happens, gets heard about.
Right or wrong some are carrying weapons aboard, so how many went to jail last year?
just curious
Old 22-10-2014, 15:36   #623

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Dude (or dudess), it's the bit about taking potshots with a rifle resting on the deck I was referring too. one day we will hear of you going to jail is what's me thinking.
So, you're not opposed to guns, you're just opposed to the firing of them?

-- Seneca
Old 22-10-2014, 15:38   #624
cruiser

Quote:
Fro the research I've done, here's how I see it:

At anchor - alarm system to alert you to their presence and maybe scare them off, means to contact local authorities, secure cabin to keep them out until the authorities arrive. A firearm would be good to have, but you simply cannot legally have/use it in this situation - and I personally fear a third world prison much more than any criminal - so no gun.

At sea - playing "turtle" in this situation is much less likely to work, since your attackers are likely to be more determined to have followed you out to sea, and the authorities (or any other help) are much further away. If the attackers have firearms and you don't, you need to surrender - playing rambo with a boat hook is more likely to get you killed. If they don't have firearms (mind you, it may not be clear whether they do or not) then use your boat hook, your machete, your molotov cocktails, or whatever other jury rigged weapons you can legally carry. With a little forethought and practice, you should win - you have the advantage of knowing the boat and not having to climb up the side and over the lifelines to get at your opponent.

So, IMO, you'd be fine without a firearm at anchor, and at sea if your attackers are unarmed. You only need a firearm for when your attacked at sea by armed opponents. The best job for this task IMO would be a bolt action high powered rifle - rested on the cabin roof, you will win any engagement with AK-47 wielding gunmen on a bobbing skiff (in all likelihood, they'll just run away once you start firing in their general direction). I don't see the purpose of a shotgun or pistol - you don't want them to get that close. What about the legal issues? If you're in international waters, no problem. If you're far enough offshore in territorial waters, use of the weapon is going to be illegal, but you have a reasonable chance of getting away with your "crime." Near shore, where somebody might hear the shots and calls the big pirates with badges, that's a roll of the dice.

So, much as I loathe the idea of having to wade through bureaucracy to carry my rifle aboard, I'd probably do it.

Feel free to take my thoughts with a grain of salt since I (like virtually everyone posting here) have no actual experience with these situations.
Excellent! Well thought. AK47 I agree.

Although my experience is limited, we have been robbed a couple of times. These situations happen in a split second, no time to start planning, only time to react. You'll have the home advantage, but the bad guys will have the element of surprise working for them. Each time, my wife and I have automatically gone into attack mode... surprised the heck out of the robbers who fled each time. They're basically cowards when confronted. Caught one... now he dead ("he" overdosed on heroin 3 days after he got out of prison). Happy ending to the story.
Old 22-10-2014, 15:38   #625

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTies View Post
Anyone who believes a round fired from a non repeating rifle on a boat is going to hit its target except by a fluke has obviously no experience and should be the last person to own a gun.
I own a non repeating rifle and have plenty of experience shooting it (weren't you the person who thought a semi-automatic was a machine gun a few pages back?). Anyway, what I said was that you'd have an advantage over the attackers (which you would), not that it'd be easy to hit them (which it wouldn't).

-- Seneca
Old 22-10-2014, 16:05   #626
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

A semi auto would be better, myself I'd like a Ruger mini -14. a decent semi auto is accurate well beyond 300 yds. One reason a semi is better is what Atol suggested, if necessary you can watch round impact and "walk" rounds on target, you just can't do that with a bolt action.
I prefer bolts myself for hunting, only semi I own currently is a custom Ruger 10-22 and a WWII vintage M1 carbine, except for the fact it's an heirloom the little M-1 carbine would be a decent little gun, doesn't have the range of a 223 though.
I've got significant experience with an AK-47, both the gun and the ammo are absolute pieces of crap, it's Hollywood that has elevated it's status.
Old 22-10-2014, 16:13   #627

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
One reason a semi is better is what Atol suggested, if necessary you can watch round impact and "walk" rounds on target, you just can't do that with a bolt action.
That's a good point.

Quote:
I've got significant experience with an AK-47, both the gun and the ammo are absolute pieces of crap, it's Hollywood that has elevated it's status.
Never fired one, but that's what I've always heard. I suspect a pirate on a bouncy open skiff with an AK would have to get awfully close before he could hit the broad side of a barn: let alone my forehead peaking over the cabin roof.

-- Seneca
Old 22-10-2014, 16:26   #628
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"

Has anybody here actually fired a weapon from a moving boat? If you had I think you would rethink comments about accuracy and "walking rounds" to the target.
BTW, yes I have fired rifles from a small moving boat on occasion and know the reality.
Old 22-10-2014, 16:32   #629

Quote:
Has anybody here actually fired a weapon from a moving boat? If you had I think you would rethink comments about accuracy and "walking rounds" to the target.
BTW, yes I have fired rifles from a small moving boat on occasion and know the reality.
The bad guys will also be shooting from a boat.

....a less stable boat.

....which is open and provides no cover.

....and with a less accurate weapon.

-- Seneca
Old 22-10-2014, 16:49   #630
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Guns on a Boat, Yes or No?

Quote:

Yes, and Aerial gunnery from a helicopter many times, trust me from a helicopter is much harder, and ask any Vietnam era door gunner how good they got with practice.
I am absolutely sure I can hit from my much more stable sail boat better than some un-trained pirate can from a skiff
Closed Thread

Tags
Guns, guns