Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2014, 15:03   #436
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator
Re: Guns on a Boat, Yes or No?

Incorrect. It is the American armed forces who shoot them on their behalf. Private individuals who own guns have no benefit to other countries at all.

I would suggest that all armed forces have guns, regardless of which country they belong to. Otherwise it is a misnomer.

Coops.
Old 10-10-2014, 16:23   #437

Boat: Catalina 36, Mk I

I keep reading and this thread has some great humorous imagery...Americans waving guns all around! Classic...never seen it is reality, but the mental picture is actually pretty funny.
Old 10-10-2014, 16:29   #438

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

Semantics

Why is it, then, that the US is derided as the trigger happy idiots until someone gets into trouble and then folks look to the US and say, "well, waddya gonna do?".

Altho that is a basic generality, current events sure to bear that out. Fine, individual citizens do not equate with a militia. I wonder what it is, then, about the US that we are so foolishly willing to send our men and women - why they themselves are willing, to go to some foreign country to fight? Please don't besmirch those who sacrifice by accusing us of empiricism. If we are empirical we are damn bad at it - haven't reaped a single dime from Iraqi oil.

Perhaps it is a cultural thing - we have a hard time ignoring injustice - that is deep in our cultural consciousness, that causes us to stand up when all the rest stand around and look to the US to take the lead. In that way, ordinary law abiding citizens who are devoted to our 2nd amendment embody that cultural spirit. And our volunteer armed forces are the national expression of that devotion to freedom - even for folks we hardly know. I submit that they are more connected than you may be able to understand.

Now, about the OP and his original desire to know the rules so that he, a law abiding US citizen, can follow the rules. What the original stream was about.
Old 10-10-2014, 16:53   #439
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Ain't these gun threads nice?

A Mossberg Mariner is the gun to select. Remember that any 12 gauge shell is lethal within 30 feet, so bird shot will work. Carry Magnum slugs to kill outboards, ice bears, crocs and sharks etc.

For handgun, the S&W Governor would be ideal. However, handguns lead to trouble in many places and a Governor would be difficult to hold on to.

The shotgun was never a problem but I would have to file paperwork for some countries and store it off-shore for some like Mexico.

It's very strange that people frown on the gun aboard issue, as I have never even heard of any boat sailing into the tropics and beyond without one untill lately and those more often get in trouble. I believe that many think that when guns go away, any unpleasantness goes away with it. I'm about to start about the wolfs and sheepdogs again so just holler when it's time for that

Old 10-10-2014, 16:58   #440

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Handguns are handy in close quarters, where most self-defense situations occur.
Under 22 feet distant.
Old 10-10-2014, 17:00   #441
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post

It's very strange that people frown on the gun aboard issue, as I have never even heard of any boat sailing into the tropics and beyond without one untill lately and those more often get in trouble.
Where on earth have you been cruising and who with? I have cruised for years in the tropics and been in the yacht cruising industry for years and can count on my fingers the number of boats that felt they had the need to be armed.
Old 10-10-2014, 17:08   #442
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTies View Post
Where on earth have you been cruising and who with? I have cruised for years in the tropics and been in the yacht cruising industry for years and can count on my fingers the number of boats that felt they had the need to be armed.

Years?! Wow!

Old 10-10-2014, 17:13   #443
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Rustic-
"telephone" is an old children's game in the US. I don't know that they play it anymore. A batch of kids sit in a row and you whisper something in the ear of the first kid. They turn around and whisper it into the ear of the next kid, one at a time down the line each does the same. And then the last kid speaks out loud what they think they were told.
The message always changes between the first and last kid. It changes with every telling, which was your assumption about a "story".

The world has no use for American guns. Except, when the UK set up a coast watch in case Mr. Hitler wanted to sneak in at night? US civilians answered a voluntary campaign to send their extra guns to England. I could be wrong but I think we sent over some 400,000 guns (pistols and rifles) and as a result, the UK was able to arm their civilian coastwatchers without waiting for weapons to be manufactured new.

Funny thing, guns haven't changed since then, not really. Like cop cars on the highway, no one wants them around, until all of a sudden they desperately need one.
Old 10-10-2014, 17:36   #444

Boat: Catalina 30

So in conclusion,

I need to get a shorter barrel for my Remington 870 12guage and devise secure storage.

I will leave my .45 at home.

Gary
Old 10-10-2014, 19:32   #445
cruiser

Does anyone know how to legally import a Mossberg Mariner 500 shotgun and 12g shells into Italy? I can't find any information online. Can it be shipped to a shipyard or friend in Italy? Or would it be easier to take it on an airline? I'd like to have one on the boat, but want to do things right.

Thanks
Old 10-10-2014, 21:14   #446

The versatility of a 12 gauge shotgun using a variety of rounds to suite the situation can not be overemphasized. The slug round can be devastating to a motor even at medium ranges.

No Ties,

Just because you haven't encountered a problem doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I could probably find a piece of equipment or a tool on your boat you have never used because the circumstances have yet to occur. And yet, you still have the tool on board. Why? Because the problem may occur. I would suggest few folks would go thru the trouble of carrying firearms on their vessel - you really have very little to worry about from us. Keep calm and carry……pepper spray.
Old 10-10-2014, 22:13   #447

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post

It's very strange that people frown on the gun aboard issue, as I have never even heard of any boat sailing into the tropics and beyond without one untill lately and those more often get in trouble.
Some comments around here are hard to believe, but others like the one above, well are just simply unbelievable........

I can probably count on one hand with fingers left over the amount of recreational Sailing vessels I have come across who do carry firearms, admittedly the smart ones don't advertise, but really, never even heard of any boat sailing into the tropics and beyond without one until lately.....

Old 10-10-2014, 22:18   #448
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

By the logic professed, you will not hear about them not having guns. Nearly every single one of them will have been disappeared by the bad guys.

I never met a "gun" boat in the tropic zone either.

Coops.
Old 10-10-2014, 22:43   #449

Yep, never heard about something a smart person wouldn't talk about neither.

What would that constitute, a triple negative?

Can't see myself broadcasting such information. Certainly don't do that 'round here. Just plain stupid on so many levels. Hard to base such assumptions on a lack of info, no?
Old 10-10-2014, 23:45   #450

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyoldboatguy View Post
Yep, never heard about something a smart person wouldn't talk about neither.

What would that constitute, a triple negative?

Can't see myself broadcasting such information. Certainly don't do that 'round here. Just plain stupid on so many levels. Hard to base such assumptions on a lack of info, no?
What the hell are you jabbering on about....
Closed Thread

Tags
Guns, guns