Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2014, 16:20   #391
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Guns on a Boat, Yes or No?

Rustic, if you think the two "stories" are from some game of telephone, that's your privilege. The gentlemen I knew didn't spin tales, he brought up the incident as part of a longer conversation. Whether your "Christian" family "pistol" story in Nassau was invented by someone borrowing his encounter, I have no idea. But in case you missed some part of an education, you should know that there are a few very good and effective cons and they are repeated daily all over the world. Consider how many home breakins and burglaries start with someone answering their doorbell, in the middle of the night on a country road, to hear "My car broke down, can I borrow your phone?"

Yup. Couple thousand of THOSE get documented every year or two, and the funny thing is? They're all true, according to the police reports.

Sam story all the time, and the innocents amongst up fall for the same con, every time.
Old 09-10-2014, 16:37   #392

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Rustic, if you think the two "stories" are from some game of telephone, that's your privilege. The gentlemen I knew didn't spin tales, he brought up the incident as part of a longer conversation. Whether your "Christian" family "pistol" story in Nassau was invented by someone borrowing his encounter, I have no idea. But in case you missed some part of an education, you should know that there are a few very good and effective cons and they are repeated daily all over the world. Consider how many home breakins and burglaries start with someone answering their doorbell, in the middle of the night on a country road, to hear "My car broke down, can I borrow your phone?"

Yup. Couple thousand of THOSE get documented every year or two, and the funny thing is? They're all true, according to the police reports.

Sam story all the time, and the innocents amongst up fall for the same con, every time.
I don't know what a 'game of telephone' is. All I did was post the story. And it's not 'MY" story, it's this guy's Neil, link supplied. All I'm pointing out is it's a very similar coincidence and could possibly be the same incident. Story's do get changed bit by bit when they are handed down third hand and you are repeating something that is hearsay.
Old 09-10-2014, 17:39   #393

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

Or perhaps folks use a similar ruse to get on board because it sounds plausible. Folks use the broke down car gambit to get into folks homes. Traveling scam artists come to folks homes and tell them, "hey, I was working on a home down the street and have some leftover (fill in the blank) material - I could fix up your (fill in the blank) with some and come back tomorrow".

Scams sound familiar because they work in a similar situation. To infer obliquely that the story is probably some internet meme, also uses familiar situations to suggest a common source. Thereby insinuating the story may be false.

But I'm sure you wouldn't be doing that now, right?

Now, back to the original reason for the stream. Rustic Charm, any suggestions to folks about how to properly enter a country while possessing firearms so as not to violate local laws and customs?
Old 09-10-2014, 17:46   #394

Boat: Catalina 30

Also getting back to the original question. Does anyone have any pictures of bolted built in safes that foreign countries have approved as a proper locker and put a seal on instead of making you secure them on shore. It seems that if you have a proper safe it may make the process easier.
Old 09-10-2014, 17:46   #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyoldboatguy View Post
Or perhaps folks use a similar ruse to get on board because it sounds plausible. Folks use the broke down car gambit to get into folks homes. Traveling scam artists come to folks homes and tell them, "hey, I was working on a home down the street and have some leftover (fill in the blank) material - I could fix up your (fill in the blank) with some and come back tomorrow".

Scams sound familiar because they work in a similar situation. To infer obliquely that the story is probably some internet meme, also uses familiar situations to suggest a common source. Thereby insinuating the story may be false.

But I'm sure you wouldn't be doing that now, right?

Now, back to the original reason for the stream. Rustic Charm, any suggestions to folks about how to properly enter a country while possessing firearms so as not to violate local laws and customs?
The same advice that most are giving, always declare them on arrival. Do your research prior to going to another country just to make sure you don't have to give notice in advance. BUT, always declare them.
Old 09-10-2014, 17:51   #396

Good, consistent responses are what is most helpful. Now, I'd like to hear more about the way locals would approve you keeping the firearms on the vessel in some sort of locked safe with a proper seal on it.

Any suggestions Rustic Charm?
Old 09-10-2014, 17:53   #397
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:

Without the specificity of which country this thread is just a collection of opinion and banter...
Old 09-10-2014, 17:56   #398

Quote:
Good, consistent responses are what is most helpful. Now, I'd like to hear more about the way locals would approve you keeping the firearms on the vessel in some sort of locked safe with a proper seal on it.

Any suggestions Rustic Charm?
No offence Crazyoldboatguy, but there are 27 pages to this thread and a great many have researched and made suggestions based on what they have found with visiting different countries. You just need to read through the thread and you will get quite a few. Though with some of them I'd still be checking with the authorities.

Here in Australia I took a stroll down to the local Customs office and asked. On entry to Australia you need to declare and that's it. To avoid Customs from taking them whilst your on your visit, you will need secure storage on the vessel, which would have to meet local requirements. I didn't ask, but I can tell you it means a strong box that cant be removed. Customs will then seal this locker/strong box until you leave Australia again. But that's just Australia.
Old 09-10-2014, 18:00   #399

Perfectly capable of reading the stream. I have been monitoring it because I am interested, Just hoping to keep the opining about how nutty we Merkins are about keeping any kind of firearm to a minimum. There are many posts here that do that and I hoped to limit the wading I was doing.

Since most of the useful info does appear on previous pages, maybe this stream has run its course.
Old 09-10-2014, 20:51   #400

Boat: Haven't seen it yet. Bought on Ebay
And what would be the best protectant for a blue steeled gun on a boat?
Old 09-10-2014, 21:08   #401
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanathon View Post
And what would be the best protectant for a blue steeled gun on a boat?
have always used a light coating of 3in one oil,or sewing machine oil to keep the rust off, better than wd40 that dries out fairly quickly.

i have sprayed wd 40 on the inside of the cotton rifle rifle bag in the past and find this also prevents rust once it gets nice and saturated
Old 09-10-2014, 21:19   #402

I'll stick with my S&W stainless steel 6" barrel .357 magnum revolver or my Ruger P90 stainless steel .45 acp pistol. No rust - no worries.

Not sure a handgun is best for self defense. 20 ga coach gun loaded with double ought shot probably best. Can't get that in SS so the light weight oil a64pilot recommends is best.
Old 10-10-2014, 03:16   #403
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:

Not sure a handgun is best for self defense.
Makes me wonder why have them them.
Old 10-10-2014, 03:30   #404
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Makes me wonder why no one has ever asked about accidentally blowing a hole in the boat below the waterline...

Of course no one ever misses
Old 10-10-2014, 04:29   #405

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
The purpose of a hand gun is to fight your way to a long gun. So on a boat where you can keep long guns hand guns arent as needed. They work great but not at distance
Closed Thread

Tags
Guns, guns