Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2014, 17:30   #136
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Guns on a Boat, Yes or No?

If you go to the Punjab.. the farmers along the Jhelum river will love ya.. wild boar play havoc with their crops.. and.. being an unclean animal its open season.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 23-09-2014, 17:31   #137

Boat: Catalina 30
Re: Guns on a Boat, Yes or No?

If you Google foreign hunting trips there are plenty of places you can hunt on "safari" including Africa Parts of Europe and even new Zealand just to name a few
Old 23-09-2014, 17:39   #138

Re: Guns on a boat, yes or no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
LBOM - No one is against you at all and if you invest some time here you will find the most helpful, insightful and experienced group of sailors anywhere.

However...

You decided to sail and your first post is not about how to sail, it's about how to carry your guns with you.

Sort of like yelling, "Fire!" in a theater.
I have not gone through all the posts here. But i would make a guess that this is an attempt by someone to facilitate either a pro gun argument or anti gun argument. I would guess they are an existing member who just wants to stir things up a tad.
Under the circumstances might I suggest we all just stop responding? All of us have already, in a myriad of posts, already made our feelings clear. No need to feed the trolls.
Old 23-09-2014, 17:53   #139

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Yep, stop feeding the Troll.
Old 23-09-2014, 18:55   #140
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Guns on a boat....
Snakes on a plane....
Frying bacon nude....
Pigs in space......

Catcher in the Rye.....
Pie in the Sky....

Who am I to say I know best, but nothing here has influence....
Old 23-09-2014, 21:07   #141
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"[fully automatic weapons] they are next to impossible to legally own "
Not at all. Any US citizen with a clean criminal record can go to any Class3 firearms dealer (not all dealers have that license), pay the additional "tax stamp" fee for an automatic weapon, and buy it. If their state and local laws also allow this, as many do outside of the nervous democratic liberal majority big cities.
If you aren't a criminal, and don't mind paying a couple of hundred bucks for the tax stamp, and don't mind the price of ammunition...Very easy. Although any automatic weapon will typically fire 600 rounds per minute and the larger rifles can eat 20-30 rounds at over a buck per round, in about two point five seconds flat.
The hard part is finding any firing range that allows full automatics to be used, which is why that range was renting the weapon, with an instructor. Who apparently made the fatal mistake of forgetting what recoil is, and how children are.
A most unfortunate and unlikely incident.

Evil weapons? Not necessarily. My "uncle" casually took out an Uzi, a full automatic Uzi, to get rid of a rabbit in his vegetable garden. Yes, it was not the best weapon for the job, but it was his IDF-issue service weapon, and since that's all he had, that's what he used. But he never left it anywhere that the children could get to it.

In cultures and places where guns are common, somehow, they become about as ordinary and common as can openers.

Or has anyone forgot the two million or so Hutus and Tutses slaughtered in Rwanda not so long ago, with machetes and axes? Machete in China, ten cents wholesale export price. Machete in US surplus or camping store, $14.95 but available under five bucks. Killers don't need guns. Accidents don't need guns.

Giant Kraken are way more dangerous to sailors. And all those places on the old charts that say "Here Be Dragons". Now, that's scary. Don't even ask about bonded storage for dragons in you're planning to carry one onboard.
Old 23-09-2014, 21:45   #142

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Wow! 10 pages of posts now for the newbie under Meets & Greets! CF always shows a lot of love! Hope he is feeling it.
Old 23-09-2014, 22:45   #143

Boat: Privilege 435

Reading all this one must ask himself, if carrying a gun on the boat is really worth the hassle. And reading all this, the answer seems quite clear. But everybody must find out for themselves.

Fact is, whenever you clear into a country, you have to either seal your weapon or give it to customs for the duration of your stay. Apart from the bureaucratic nightmare that also means, that for the most time when a weapon would seem to come in handy, you don't have access to it.

It's too much work for no effect.
Old 24-09-2014, 05:21   #144
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Uh, no. An automatic weapon is one that continues to fire as long as the trigger is depressed. What you are talking about is a semiautomatic weapon, which diverts a portion of the fired charge to cycle the bolt and feed the next round into the chamber.

Not a "gun" guy but aren't pistols referred to as automatics if they are magazine/clip fed (and automatically chamber) as opposed to revolvers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmcntsh View Post
I have not gone through all the posts here. But i would make a guess that this is an attempt by someone to facilitate either a pro gun argument or anti gun argument. I would guess they are an existing member who just wants to stir things up a tad.
Under the circumstances might I suggest we all just stop responding? All of us have already, in a myriad of posts, already made our feelings clear. No need to feed the trolls.
I doubt he is an existing member - The mods are on the lookout for duplicate handles.

More likely he is a seagull...
Old 24-09-2014, 06:07   #145
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Ah - seagull - its a great descriptor.
Old 24-09-2014, 06:10   #146
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
Australia — Noonsite

Firearms must be declared on entry. All military-type firearms (greater than .22), machine guns, pistols, revolvers, ammunition, as well as flick knives and knuckledusters are prohibited imports, and will be sealed on board or taken into custody at the first port of entry. Arrangements can be made to transport them to the port of departure if sufficient notice is given of that port and the date of departure. Sporting rifles and shotguns may be kept on board if a permit is obtained from the police and there is a suitable storage facility. This last condition also applies if prohibited imports are to be sealed on board.
Then of course there are state laws.
Old 24-09-2014, 06:44   #147

Boat: Cabo Rico 45 build #005
Send a message via Skype™ to stevec195

Someone put me out of my misery and shoot this thread

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 24-09-2014, 06:56   #148

I will preface this by stating that Atoll is one of my favorite posters here on CF - his vast experience is valuable and his humor refreshing. However, I'm afraid that someone will stumble across this thread and think it is reasonable to travel to Mexico and attempt to safely declare a firearm. It is not. Here is an article about John Hammar who attempted to declare his shotgun upon arrival in Mexico; After declaring rifle, U.S. man held in Matamoros prison - The Monitor: News

It was a very politically charged situation (his vet status was played up) but it certainly could happen to anyone.

Atoll reprints some nice research by Gord May. Please read carefully the section on Mexico, where Gord very clearly states "Mariners do NOT avoid prosecution by declaring their weapons at the port of entry."
Old 24-09-2014, 08:22   #149

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Sand Crab, your statement in post #2 really nailed it. 150 posts later and we're still at it.
Old 24-09-2014, 08:22   #150
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Quote:
However, I'm afraid that someone will stumble across this thread and think it is reasonable to travel to Mexico and attempt to safely declare a firearm. It is not.
Yup. CF member Panamajames got thrown in the slammer when he cleared in to Mexico and declared his handgun. There's a thread about his experience.

Tags
Guns, guns