Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2018, 18:01   #16

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi
Re: Greetings from western Canada!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryclaire101 View Post
Hi Chris
We are located just east of Olds, How about you?
I am just west of stony plain. My boat is in wabamun marina, look me up if you wanna go for a sail. Sv Spanish dancer slip a5. Just bring a 6 pack entry fee;-) or pm me here.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 18:14   #17

Lol, Chris you have a deal!
If we are up that way this summer, I will contact you for sure!

Thanks
what's the prefered choice of the 6 pack? This is an important question, as you well know!
roryclaire101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 18:22   #18

As a good Canadian, I'm too polite to turn down any free beer:-)
I typically drink bud. It's the poor man's version of Sapporo! (my favorite)
My work life is in limbo so I'm hoping to spend as much time on the boat as possible this summer.
Old 10-04-2018, 18:27   #19

And as a good Canadian, I'd like to bring the beer of choice.
What do you do for a living? Oilfield? Well if you can't work, you may as well sail...right? lol
Really hope we can meet this summer Chris.
Old 10-04-2018, 18:39   #20

Actually I'm in residential construction. I side houses. The downside is its wrecked my body. So I'm looking at new careers to tide me over till I can move aboard someplace warmer, that has better rum 👍
Old 10-04-2018, 19:00   #21

I'm really sorry to hear that. An occupation working physically is hard on the body. I know that all too well... another reason for the change for us too. And that warmer weather is a definite - rum included!
Old 10-04-2018, 19:46   #22

Boat: Macgregor 26S

Chris, the sail club I'm a part of has an O'Day out there. Perhaps you've met Adele from the club? We're planning on spending a lot of time in Wabamun this season. I'll make sure to connect with you when we're headed that way.

Macblaze.....kinda shocked by the parallel. What department is your wife in? Mine, unlike yours won't get a true sabbatical as she's not a prof, just lab coordinator (so part of faculty). Of course you never know, maybe by the time we're ready to go they'll have negotiated sabbatical in the collective bargaining.

Yeah right. Haha

We've discussed buying the cruiser with the intent to sell it at a healthy loss when we get back so we don't end up stuck with it and forced to long term mooring. How is the charter working out for you guys (if you don't mind me asking)? I guess one has to keep an open mind....heck....what if we don't even come back after a year? If it's an unpaid leave I guess there's options. We plan to rent our home out while we're away since we'll still be in mortgage land but that can at least offset that away cost even if we need to pay a management company. I feel that we might be able to fill the home with a visiting prof to MacEwan or UofA though.
MacboyCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 20:39   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacboyCanada View Post
Chris, the sail club I'm a part of has an O'Day out there. Perhaps you've met Adele from the club? We're planning on spending a lot of time in Wabamun this season. I'll make sure to connect with you when we're headed that way.

Macblaze.....kinda shocked by the parallel. What department is your wife in? Mine, unlike yours won't get a true sabbatical as she's not a prof, just lab coordinator (so part of faculty). Of course you never know, maybe by the time we're ready to go they'll have negotiated sabbatical in the collective bargaining.

Yeah right. Haha

We've discussed buying the cruiser with the intent to sell it at a healthy loss when we get back so we don't end up stuck with it and forced to long term mooring. How is the charter working out for you guys (if you don't mind me asking)? I guess one has to keep an open mind....heck....what if we don't even come back after a year? If it's an unpaid leave I guess there's options. We plan to rent our home out while we're away since we'll still be in mortgage land but that can at least offset that away cost even if we need to pay a management company. I feel that we might be able to fill the home with a visiting prof to MacEwan or UofA though.
Yes, I am a couple slips down from your clubs oday. I have talked with a couple of your members.
Definately let me know if you are coming out.
Old 11-04-2018, 08:32   #24

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:

Yeah right. Haha
With MacEwan's record... you never know.

Quote:

We talked about renting the house out and in hindsight we wished we had. Instead we had family look after it.

Chartering in the PNW is a bit different than other places. They have mostly older boats but still a variety. (I think the oldest in our company is 1996 all the way up to a 2017 Lagoon.) And the season is short so it's break even at best. That said, my boat is looked after, ready to sail the moment we arrive, and the worst a charterer has done to it is break the head (and I didn't have to fix it).

We made $500 the first year, lost ~$4000 last year (needed new motor mounts because I am an idiot) and this upcoming year is looking to split the difference if I don't have any major mechanical issues. Not bad considering that's all in: moorage, power, insurance, maintenance etc. and we get to sail 1-2 months a year. Beats the $3000/week we were paying to charter.

If you are interested the whole process from decision to go sailing to chartering was documented (idiosyncratically) on the website we made for the boat The Chronicles of Laughing Baby | The view from the tender…. There are even some numbers buried in there.

Oh, and it's the Bachelor of Communication Studies...
Old 13-04-2018, 19:30   #25

Boat: Macgregor 26S

Wow. That's great to hear. I hadn't thought much past "when the year is over" so I'm happy to have happened on this topic with you. Even at a moderate cost/loss each year its a win - like you say $3000 a week to charter......and if your wife has the same summer vacation perks as mine there's nothing wrong with having a boat ready to go in some of the worlds most beautiful waters. So glad you chimed in on this thread. Beers all around!
MacboyCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2018, 16:21   #26

Chris does that invitation extend to anyone? If it does I would make the drive for a long weekend. Looking to get experience on larger boats, most of my sailing is dinghy sailing and a week up the coast of Sweden in an Albert 6m.
Prairie sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2018, 16:40   #27

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Hello from another former Sherwood Park Family. I was born and raised in Sherwood Park my whole life. Caught the bug to go cruising in my early 20s and finally made it happen.

We are a family of five (Dad 41, Mom 43, Quincy - 11, Jonah - 9, Daph - 7). We left to go cruising over 25 months ago. I actually drove away from our house in Summerwood bound for Key West. The family then followed me 2 months later and we have been cruising ever since. We are currently sitting in St. Lucia bound for Bequia tomorrow.

If you are interested, I can post my blog. or feel free to ask me any questions.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2018, 17:48   #28

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post

If you are interested, I can post my blog. or feel free to ask me any questions.
Why isn't your blog posted? And since it isn't, how come I am a regular reader. Man, I must be some kinda creepy dude.
Old 18-04-2018, 21:01   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie sailor View Post
Chris does that invitation extend to anyone? If it does I would make the drive for a long weekend. Looking to get experience on larger boats, most of my sailing is dinghy sailing and a week up the coast of Sweden in an Albert 6m.
Come on out, I love to share my knowledge. Regardless of how limited it is;-). I'm always looking for company as most things worth doing are worth sharing. BUT.. I enjoy sailing, it's fun. Anyone who turns it into something else is politely asked to leave.
So short answer is yes, send me a pm when you are around and let's go sailing.
Old 18-04-2018, 21:04   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
Why isn't your blog posted? And since it isn't, how come I am a regular reader. Man, I must be some kinda creepy dude. [emoji2]
I'm creeping with you macblaze! Travellers blog is a good read. But maybe it's just nice seeing one of our own living the dream:-)

Tags
Canada