Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2009, 13:40   #1

Greetings from VA

I wanted to be the first to welcome myself to the forums! Been browsing and lurking around the forums for a while, thought I would finally make an account in anticipation of making some posts.

Ive been sailing for quite some time now, went to sailing camps as a kid, went to the BVI years ago when I was in 9th grade with my next door neighbors and ive been in love ever sense. Ive taken a few classes, and helped some friends and grandparents do some handy work on boats and I think im getting close to buying my own(to live on). I get the idea ill be one of the younger people doing this as all the people I see at the docks are in their 40s, 50s, and 60s.... im only 22 so to anyone with that extra 18+ years of experience and knowledge please pass along some tips

Im doing a lot of research, trying to figure out what kinda boat I want, and trying to figure out what kind of boat I can afford. Any recommendations of things I should read or sites I should visit before buying a boat would be helpful.

Basically I am waiting for a house to sell, as soon as it does im ready to do this.... just killing the time between now and then by trying to learn as much as I can.

Im sure ill make a post some time soon in a more specific thread asking for more guidance on what boats to be looking at, as it stands im still trying to narrow down what I like and want for myself, and exactly how much I feel comfortable spending / keeping for repairs.

Thank you for all the wonderful posts on this forum, I hope to add to them with my own experience and knowledge soon!

Regards
Chip
Boxerchip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 14:15   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I'm doing a lot of research, trying to figure out what kinda boat I want, and trying to figure out what kind of boat I can afford.
Those would be the questions you need to answer in your own way and time. Perhaps less on what you want since you don't know. You can find what you want but you are going to find it hard to know what it is before you do. What you want is really the last question you ask. Don't jump to the end of the process too soon.

You can want more than you need or more than you can afford. Your idea of what you want is something you won't get close to right away. Studying how things work and what they do is just a better place to begin. It builds up familiarity. It's easy to read a few thousand postings here and start to get the ideas. Just don't get attached too soon. Dream boats don't usually live up to expectations.

Think more in terms of what you want to do. That will set some limits. Lastly how flexible can you be?
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 14:42   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
Those would be the questions you need to answer in your own way and time. Perhaps less on what you want since you don't know. You can find what you want but you are going to find it hard to know what it is before you do. What you want is really the last question you ask. Don't jump to the end of the process too soon.

You can want more than you need or more than you can afford. Your idea of what you want is something you won't get close to right away. Studying how things work and what they do is just a better place to begin. It builds up familiarity. It's easy to read a few thousand postings here and start to get the ideas. Just don't get attached too soon. Dream boats don't usually live up to expectations.

Think more in terms of what you want to do. That will set some limits. Lastly how flexible can you be?
Thanks for the feedback. I think what your getting at is to not let my "wants" get in the way of my buying a well built particle boat that suites my needs rather than desires correct? I have stupid unreasonable wants like every other boater, but when I say wants I speak of reasonable ones.... like I want a fiberglass boat, not wood, a wheel rather than a tiller, etc. No dream boats yet(trying to stay away from that as you said, just trying to keep my mind and options open)... my dream is to own a boat that sails well, is large enough to live on, and is attractive to me. As far as what I want to do, I would love to sail around the world some day, but I want more sailing experience under my belt, and I want a bigger boat than I can afford right now to do it in. For the time being I want a boat I can live on, sail from VA to the Caribbean comfortably, and something larger than 30 feet and smaller than 40. With all that said, I am quite flexible, the only thing I am not willing to compromise on is owning a boat.
Thanks again for the advice and welcome!
Boxerchip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2009, 12:50   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Chip,
Welcome aboard! Good to have you here and posting.
My suggestion is to talk your way aboard as many boats as you can to see what might make a suitable boat for you. After you've got a few in mind then ask the members of the forum for an opinion. I've got a list of boats I would never ever own as I'm certain other members have as well.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2009, 22:16   #5

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Hello Chip,
Do you have a Mauchs guide yet? It is a quick reference guide to used production sailboats. It gives you line drawings, layout, etc. you might be able to find a used one at the local Marine consignment shop. Also, Check out the Tartans
Welcome to the forum,
Erika

Here is the mauchs website
Mauch's Sailboat Guide
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2009, 22:36   #6

Boat: Skookum 53'
Welcome Boxerchip, one thing you can count on, people here are not shy about the kind of boat they think is best.