Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2009, 11:07   #1

Boat: Yankee 30
Greetings from the Humboldt Bay

Hello, I hope this finds you all well. Iv been sailing for a few years now, pretty much all singlehanded. I cruise around the Bay here mostly, but I have gone up and down the coast of Balize and around the Rio Dulce a few times as well.

I just got rid of the Aquarius 23 I was taking about the bay and have been in the market for a slightly larger more seaworthy vessel. Iv been getting antsy for a bit of adventure and was thinking of finding something, fiddling around for a bit, and then head on to Hawaii. I have been looking at an Alberg 30 and a Marieholm 32. I feel the Marieholm design is very seaworthy, especially with the keel stepped mast, and am leaning that direction. Unfortunatley I have been unable to find any info of the vessel going around. I know the Alberg has been around quite a few times.

Any info you all might have would be much apprieciated. Also any other boats you would suggest. My budget is up to 25K.

Its a pleasure meeting you all and I look forward to being a member.
thoamii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2009, 15:11   #2

Boat: Sceptre 41
welcome aboard. Is that the Hoblot Bay i Califronia or somewhere else? Might want to look at the Yankee 30 too.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2009, 15:46   #3

Thanks for the Idea Ill check out those yankies... never heard of them.

Nope. You know iv never heard of the hoblot bay, where is that? Im up in Humboldt, were about 250 miles north of SF (driving) and maybe 80 or 90 miles south of Oregon.

zach
Old 13-08-2009, 16:01   #4

Boat: Sceptre 41
thoamii a spelling error. I was in H Bay last May on my way down from Oregon. Know where it is just can't spell it . LOL

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2009, 16:08   #5

Oh, right on. How was the sail? So I just was looking at a Yankee 30 Mki. Do you know if the mki is the same as what you were talking about?

By the way thoamii is a spelling error... its meant to be thomaii : )
Old 14-08-2009, 20:07   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Tommy,
Welcome aboard! I know Humboldt Bay but haven't sailed it. Is the Marieholm 32 like the Marieholm 26 Folkboat but longer. If so you couldn't have picked a better design.
Kind regards,
Old 15-08-2009, 08:44   #7

Hi, John. From what Iv read it is a larger Folkboat, looks exactly the same out of the water but bigger. its mast is keel stepped, however its ballast is only 37.5%. It worries me that I can find no one that has taken it Around.

Hows Hawaii treatin' ya?

Zach
Old 15-08-2009, 10:30   #8
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Good to have you with us, Zach. Hope you enjoy the Forum.

Gets pretty foggy out your way, eh? I'll never forget a very exciting landing at the airport in Eureka. We popped out of the soup a hundred feet or so above ground...and the runway was a couple of hundred feet off to the left! Zig Zag! Bounce, Bounce! Slam on the brakes! The pilot finally stopped the plane just a few feet short of the cliff above the Pacific. Glad we didn't take a swim!
Old 15-08-2009, 11:22   #9

LOL, Oh man Hud everybody loves that airport! My mother was white as a ghost last time I picked her up.

It does make for some eerily interesting sailing

Thanks, and I have been having a grand old time here!

Zach
Old 15-08-2009, 12:18   #10

Aloha Zach,
Hawaii is great. Good sailing if you can find a place to moor. That's a great boat you're looking for. The Contessa 32 is exactly the same?
Regards
Old 15-08-2009, 16:17   #11

Well the contessa 32 has a fin keel and this marieholm has the exact same lines as a folkboat, sweeping full keel. The difference between it and the folkboat lies in the ballast:displacement ratio. On the marieholm 32 it is 37.5% as apposed to 53.5% on the folkboat (the contessa 32 is 47.3%). Do you think the difference is copasetic?

Zach
Old 16-08-2009, 08:17   #12

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Welcome to the forum,
Here is a great website (you might already have it) about Stats on production boats.
Sailpro Hope you find your boat soon.
Happy sailing,
Erika
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2009, 11:32   #13

Erika, Thanks for that site, its awesome!

Unfortunately I haven't been able to find much info on the Marieholm 32. I have calculated much of the info I would like but can't seem to find any thing to help calculate sail area. With out that I cant figure the capsize ratio. I think I might start a thread on just this one vessel.

Zach
Old 17-08-2009, 11:38   #14

Aloha Zach,
I came across a Rhodes Chesapeake 32 a few weeks ago that, although old, might be something you could get interested in. Underbody is more 3/4 keel and seaworthy.
Until you pointed it out to me I didn't realize the Contessa 32 was a fin keeler.
regards,
Old 17-08-2009, 12:16   #15

Hay that Rhodes design looks pretty nice. Is the one you were talking about on yachtworld? Im going to do some more searching

Yeah I didn't realize the Contessa 32 was a fin keeler either until i got interested in a Yankee 30. The two boats are so similar it makes me think the Yankee could be a very safe boat, maybe not as comfy but hay. Oh and there is one down in the the SF bay that sounds like a nice boat. Refit and only 15K. Although the owner hasn't emailed me back.

Then again, so far the Marieholm is adding up very nicely indeed!!! Tord Sunden design, Displ:LWL= 348, LWL:Beam=234, MCR=34.205. That motion comfort ratio has me drooling a bit.... not as nice as the Dreadnought, Rawson, Southern Cross, or Westsail but so much lighter and less work.

All the best