Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2009, 14:59   #1

Greetings from Tacoma !

Hello fellow Sailors!

We are Derek & Kristin Hieb from Tacoma,WA. For the past 14 months we have been re-fitting a 1981 Pan Oceanic Vision 41 designed by Naval Architect, Ted Brewer. It's a wonderfully designed light ocean cruiser with a pilothouse that even the most discriminating sailor would love. I (K
ristin) will post pics if I can ever remember to get them downloaded off the camera. That's the problem with these new cameras that can hold over 1000 images on them. Currently we are working on replacing the leaky teak decks with Kiwi decks non skid system. We're using saturating epoxy on all the screw holes and making fiberglass repairs after painstakingly removing and identifying all the headliners, as well as all the deck hardware, tracks, and stansions. Whew! What a chore! But as you all know, it's a labor of love and we plan to navigate many miles of offshore cruising on this baby and that's why we're doing it right the first time.

I couldn't have picked a better man than Derek The Rigger as my co-pilot either! He's so well knowedged and skilled in the trade that I thought I'd better keep him before some other poor gal got her hands on him! Besides that he's good on the sheets! lol We'd been together for a few years when one of my customer's came to me with a huge family problem: What do we do with her dad's old sailboat? I was thinking it was just a little one, and was about to tell her I could have Derek call her with some ideas, when I thought to ask her first what the boat was like. Keep in mind, that between the two of us, we already owned 10 boats, so the furthest thing from my mind was having another one given to us. When she described it to me, I about fell over! It sounded like the boat of our dreams! Since way before we ever laid eyes on eachother we each separately had fantasies about circumnavigating and sailing to far away ports all over the world, so when we met and started talking about it, we realized we had met the partners that we could live out our dreams together with! The boat is the fruition of this dream and we are both so happy to be able to do the work required for the restoration. This beauty had been left tied to the dock for over 18 years after the previous owner's wife had passed away, I'm sure due to heartbreak. I assured Becky that we would love to go look at the boat today after work, and if she wants, we'd be able to take possession right away. Well, it worked out to be April 1st, when we officially had the papers, but she was ours the moment we heard about her. God I sure love miracles!

Now, we're working our fingers to the bone to bring her back to all her glory and then some! BTW we are keeping her name as "Vision" and that vision will hopefully be realized by the summer of 2010 when we will sail her away the way she was designed to do... fast and safe!
We'll keep you all posted here and we're so happy to finally join up with all you charming people! We've been reading the posts here for years! lol

Have Wind! Will Sail!
Kristin & Derek
Tacoma, WA s/v Vision
Tacoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2009, 15:16   #2

Boat: San Juan 28
Hello from Olympia!
Arch Stanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2009, 15:29   #3

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps
Welcome Aboard Derek and Kristin! Continued success and enthusiasim
with your refit. As far as I'm concerned you have already earned a guest mooring when you find your way to the northeast. Don't forget those pictures.
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2009, 15:30   #4

Some sailing friends of ours in the Carribean had a Pan oceanic and it was a great boat, although it had some of the typical deck flaws etc. I believe it was the 48 ft version though. I had trouble keeping up with that boat even in my 42 ft cat! I loved his pilothouse, had inside steering , big windows and a double berth up there to starboard. Pretty cool to have the "off-watch" right there in the pilot house..... errr.... as long as it wasnt a distraction!
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2009, 11:46   #5

Very Sweet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Stanton View Post
Hello from Olympia!
Thank you for the warm welcome everyone!

Arch, Nice to meet you neighbor! Derek is actually down working on a mast in Oly town right now as a matter of fact! I absolutely love the downtown scene and highly recommend every out of towner to visit Olympia and see for yourselves! Even Californians drool over our beautiful capitol city!

Hugo, We'll be sure to do a stop over on our way out of the hurricane zone in July and maybe we'll get lucky enough to make it a Fourth Of July! I love celebrating our freedom and heritage! Haven't checked your profile to see where you hail from, but anywhere close to Massachusetts by any chance? I want to take my sweetie to Boston Harbor and Plymouth of course, since he has never been back East. Isn't that cool that we still refer to it as "back" East and "out" West?

Cheechaco, That is so great to hear about the performance of the 46'er! We haven't had the opportunity to sail Vision yet, but we should be ready to step her mast and rig her up in late August which is just about the beginning of our great sailing season here in the Puget Sound region. The summer is pretty much spent doing beer can races on Wednesday & Friday nights asfar as sailing goes.

I'll see you guys in the blogs, and thanks again for the greetings!

Kristin
s/v Vision
Tacoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2009, 12:12   #6

Boat: Vic Franck Delta 50
Hi from Camano Island, Kristin & Derek...

When your shakedown cruise leads you up this way, give a holler! My boat is an Amazon 44 and we're planning lots of buddy-boating this year.

Cheers!
Steve
Nomadness
Old 28-05-2009, 20:32   #7

Kristin, We are in western Long Island Sound, less than 2 hour sail to Manhattan
and big fireworks on the 4th of July...Mass. could be a 2 day sail, but
better to take 2 weeks or more..lots to see...all LIS...north and south
forks of LI...Block Is...Nantucket...Newport...more...wait to you get
to "down east" Maine! Lots of history and celebrating/tall ships
along the coast that time of year(minor history buff here, waiting for
anyone who will listen.
Old 28-05-2009, 21:47   #8

Boat: Cascade 42 Tabula Rasa
Hello from a Tacoma neighbor. Curious, where are you keeping her?
I'm slowly refitting a Cascade 42.
Stevek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2009, 21:50   #9

Boat: Irwin sloop
Hi Derek and Kristin
Welcome to a great forum and thanks again for the flag halyards at the Oro Bay outstation.
Jesse
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2009, 22:42   #10

Boat: Skookum 53'
Greetings from Homer, AK, we are planning on heading south towards your neighborhood sometime in 2010.
captain58sailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2009, 12:35   #11

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Kristin and Derek,
Welcome aboard! When you are tired of the cold weather come on over. I too am refitting a Cascade 42 but Steve is way ahead of me.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 21:37   #12

Well, it's been another year and a half and we're moving onto the boat later this Spring we hope. Had many setbacks, mostly do to the economy, but setbacks are part of a sailors life. Sorry I seem to have lost my log in details, and am using my husbands. Derek has been working some on the tugs and getting a little rigging work so maybe this year will be an improvement over the past 2. lol
Sorry it took me so long to get back to posting any comments here. I'm still excited, just tired from running my coffee shop 6 days a week. Had to let the 2 gals go that worked for me, so I could keep the shop open at all! Anyway, thought I'd pop in and say hello and let you know we're still at it! Mostly I'm reading all the sailing books I can get my hands on. Currently "Sailing Alone Around The World" by Capt Joshua Slocum, second time reading this gem!

I'll be back, I promise!
Cheers,
Kristin (& Derek)
ssrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 08:05   #13

Time has a way of passing...check out ...Project Gutenberg...
free book download including "Sailing Alone Around the World" and other sailing books.
I just read "Two Years Before the Mast" by Dana for the second time, great read.
Happy to see your still hanging in there, Hugo
Old 07-02-2011, 20:32   #14

Thanks Hugo! I think someone here gave me that download site before and I used it. Maybe it was you. hehe
We were out on the boat tonight and she looks lonely.
Just tinkering around tonight and making sure she was
staying dry under her boathouse. Mast is in our yard.
Had a big storm blow through tonight and rain was falling steady
and thick! Time to tack! Ready About?
ssrigger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pan oceanic, ted brewer, vision 41