Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2007, 15:49   #1

Boat: Mottle 33
Send a message via Skype™ to geoffpetersson
Greetings from Sydney

This is my first post to the site and I would like to say hi to everyone out there.

I've been sailing about 10 years and in that time have owned 6-7 boats from a 1920s New Zealand Mullet boat to a 38' offshore racer (a modified Peterson design). Supposedly I have been looking for the perfect boat but it is probably closer to the truth that I like fiddling with different boats and what better way can there be in getting to know a boat than actually owning it.

Buying another boat is a good excuse to put off actually taking off on an open ended cruise of course, so the process of equipping the new boat for the cruise can start again. Over the last few years I crewed on larger boats to and from the Whitsundays and recently completed my first Bass Strait crossing on a delivery trip.

My current boat is a Mottle 33 an Australian designed centre cockpit "family cruiser" built in the late seventies. I bought it a year ago in fairly poor condition with quite basic equipment but with a reconditioned Bukh motor and epoxied hull. I've since replaced the rigging added new sails, had the upholstery renewed etc. It's well set up for local coastal cruising but I have intentionally kept the systems simple - no furlers, anchor winch, auto pilot, spray hood etc. With the Sydney area being such a paradise for all year round sailing it is hard to get motivated to want to kit it up so I can travel further afield.
geoffpetersson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2007, 19:14   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Welcme aboard geoff

I know what your saying about fiddling with boats. I owned 4 at one time not to long ago. Now I'm down to 2 but will probably sell the runabout to pay for a new Furlex and sail I just bought. It's hard to beat those boat show specials.

I'd rather bebuild an older boat then buy new. One, at least, learns the inside and out when doing the projects and can make corrections if something is not up to snuff.

I'm sure you'll continue to enjoy this site, there's lots of good info here............................._/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2007, 22:32   #3

Geoff,Mottle 33's are my first choice GRP Ozzie boat.Just out of intrest,how much did ya pay for it.Most the ones I see on the net for sale are way out of my price range.I love centre cockpit designs and I know the M33 will get me where I want to go.PS,welcome in.Mudnut.
mudnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2007, 22:56   #4

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
G'day Geoff,
Welcome to the site and good to have your company.
JOHN
Old 26-02-2007, 15:38   #5

Thanks for that Delmarrey. You are right about newer boats, whenever I am tempted by the idea of all the shiny stuff, I realise that the quality in many cases just isn't there.
Old 26-02-2007, 15:46   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudnut
Geoff,Mottle 33's are my first choice GRP Ozzie boat.Just out of intrest,how much did ya pay for it.Most the ones I see on the net for sale are way out of my price range.I love centre cockpit designs and I know the M33 will get me where I want to go.PS,welcome in.Mudnut.
They are a good boat. I ended up paying around $50k for mine but it was in a pretty neglected state and there was evidence of some water damage to the interior previously. To get it to where it is now, I've spent about $10k with a fair bit of that being on the new sails - a bit of an indulgence I know but nice to have.

I've done a bit of an informal survey on the price of mottles over the last year and I get the impression that generally, the prices being asked are out of line with the market. I get the impression that very few people want to pay more than about $50k or $60k for a reasonable one. I'd be interested on your thoughts here.
Old 26-02-2007, 15:48   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagman
G'day Geoff,
Welcome to the site and good to have your company.
JOHN
Thanks John, will have a look - I'm sure it can't be too boring!
Old 26-02-2007, 15:51   #8

Send a message via ICQ to emmo
Gidday Geoff,

Always good to see another Aussie here, even if you are on the wrong side.
Mind you I guess there is some good sailing there, I'll be checking it all out in a few years,

Cheers,
Pete
Old 26-02-2007, 19:54   #9

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Geoff,
Welcome aboard!! Good to have you here. Lots of folks working on boats. Let us know if there is a problem question. I'm certain you can help us too.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2007, 21:43   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffpetersson
They are a good boat. I ended up paying around $50k for mine but it was in a pretty neglected state and there was evidence of some water damage to the interior previously. To get it to where it is now, I've spent about $10k with a fair bit of that being on the new sails - a bit of an indulgence I know but nice to have.

I've done a bit of an informal survey on the price of mottles over the last year and I get the impression that generally, the prices being asked are out of line with the market. I get the impression that very few people want to pay more than about $50k or $60k for a reasonable one. I'd be interested on your thoughts here.
Geoff,the cheapest M33 I've seen on the market(Not by private sale)has been $57,000 and the dearest around $76,000.The lowest and highest being the same yr 73.When to think you can buy a later Adams 10 for under $40,000,the high price for the M33 of earlier yr's dosn't equate.I think demand for certain models dictate the price in the long-run,and also the fact that people are hesitant to sell their M33's helps as well.Then again if I won Powerball next weekend,I'd probably be saying $76,000 was cheap as at least I'd have the boat I fancied most. Mudnut.
mudnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sydney