Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2021, 07:08   #1

Boat: 1984 Hunter 31
Greetings from South Florida

After many years of wishing and “what if’s” and more than a year of searching, I purchased a 1984 Hunter 31 in February of 2021. Admittedly I know very little about sailing, boats, and all that comes with ownership, but I’ve never been afraid to heed the wisdom of those who have come before me and have lessons to teach.
Named “perseverance” when purchased I have kept the name as it is very fitting and describes most of my life to a T! She isn’t in perfect condition and I have been slowly getting to know her in’s and outs and begun to make repairs while she is moored in Palm Beach.
Some of the known items for repair:

-Engine runs well but needs some major cleaning as there is rust. I discovered a “drip” last week and need to uncover the source. Also had a wire come out of the alternator which needs addressed. I’m sure I’ll be posting for advice on that one.
-stuffing box needs to be Re-packed. I’m a bit nervous about this one, but up for the task.
-just replaced the fresh water pump and discovered the wiring in this old boat is a hot mess. I was proud and excited when the pump came on after my first attempt and then I heard the rushing water under the gallery sink. The hose connector had busted at the distribution Valve. So it was a short lived victory.
-The jib halyard snapped (was known when purchased) and I’m still debating wether to attempt to head up the mast to repair myself or to call in a professional… or at least someone more experienced. I’m strongly leaning towards the latter.
-Galley stove is propane and has a leak somewhere (also known when purchased) so I’ll be exploring that in the coming weeks.
-wiring connections throughout need to be re-done. Many are exposed and corroding.
-Cowl vents were removed and the cabin ceiling lowered a bit to allow for new lighting to be installed, but I’m considering removing the lowered headliner to get the inch or so of headroom back (I’m 6’3) and to open the vents back up for added circulation.
-found some pesky termite droppings so need to address that. At least they don’t eat fiberglass….

Those are the main items I’m addressing as I begin this adventure. I appreciate this forum as it has helped a lot as I’ve begun this journey and I’m happy to have joined. I look forward to becoming a part of this community.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EC939702-D06E-4919-B2FF-5A244DCCCFF4.jpeg
Views:	45
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	234916   Click image for larger version

Name:	E660C3E5-9B13-4F1D-B74E-2BACDCEA1749.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	474.8 KB
ID:	234917  

Name:	A446FFE4-94D1-49B6-9F36-078380CA46E0.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	446.9 KB
ID:	234918   Click image for larger version

Name:	00EC22EE-99BB-414D-9338-87CE276EEE2D.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	451.8 KB
ID:	234919  

Name:	CEA296AE-BAF1-416E-B94C-761ECF8CC8F5.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	440.1 KB
ID:	234920  
SV-Perseverance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2021, 07:20   #2

Re: Greetings from South Florida

Well, you are certainly in a good place to learn boating.

We used to live in south Florida, and while I don't miss the traffic, I do miss the wonderful boating areas, like the ICW and the Florida Keys, and being so close to the Bahamas.
Old 21-03-2021, 07:27   #3

Boat: 1984 Hunter 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
Well, you are certainly in a good place to learn boating.

We used to live in south Florida, and while I don't miss the traffic, I do miss the wonderful boating areas, like the ICW and the Florida Keys, and being so close to the Bahamas.
Yeah traffic is not on my list of favorite things here. I am looking forward to exploring and enjoying the water and islands - hoping within the next month I’ll have most of the repairs complete and feel ready to take her out.
Old 23-03-2021, 02:21   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Sam.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida