Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2015, 05:43   #1

Greetings from New England

Hello,

I'm new to this forum but not new to the boating life. I've been on or about the water since about the age of 10, with several vessels blessing my life over my nearly 50 years. The largest was a 50' Chris Craft Constellation. I started my boating life on commercial fishing vessels, and operated a sizeable lobster boat operation starting at age 16. I've only ever owned wooden boats, however that will change soon.

I currently own successful business, which I'll be selling and "giving it all up" so they say. The plan is to invest in a gently used 40-ish foot aft cabin cruiser and spend my remaining ambulatory days entertaining friends (and making new ones) in the Keys, Bahamas, and upper Caribbean. I have not been fortunate enough to have a family of my own, and with the passing of my parents, there is no point maintaining a big home just to rattle around in by myself.

I can live comfortably off savings, but I plan to continue to work. I'm an avid scuba diver and scuba trainer and I may sustain myself as a divemaster or instructor if I find a dive operation with people I like. The important thing is that the work will be FUN.

I don't have a specific timeline, but the idea is to find the right boat and fit up for liveaboard conditions here where I have tools and equipment to make retrofits. Then I'll do some local cruising and get it set up before putting everything on the market and heading south. I'll be lurking on here as I shop for vessels and I may have a question or two here and there.
NECruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 06:04   #2

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'
Re: Greetings from New England

Welcome aboard! Sounds like a great plan - best of luck making it all happen, and we’ll see you on the water!
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 06:09   #3

Thanks! This is something I've been thinking about for a long time.
Old 25-08-2015, 06:45   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, NECruiser.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 06:49   #5

Boat: CSY 33 Cutter

Where are you at in NE? I'm plotting a similar escape plan. Connecticut has been good to me, but the wanderlust is back. Time for a sea change.
Polar Opposite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 21:52   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Opposite View Post
Where are you at in NE? I'm plotting a similar escape plan. Connecticut has been good to me, but the wanderlust is back. Time for a sea change.
I'm in Maine, a ways up the coast from Portland. I used to live in Boston. Don't miss that rat-race.

I hear you on the sea change. Last winter nearly broke me. My friends in MA got it worse, but still. All I did was chase the snow blower every weekend. Soon, no more!
Old 26-08-2015, 04:46   #7

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Welcome from another Mainer about to retire!

Keep us posted, would love to hear how it works out.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2015, 12:49   #8

Boat: CSY 33 Cutter

Our plan is a little more sedate. We purchased a 32' ketch and outfitted it (ongoing) over the last year+. We also went up and down Florida's gulf coast in January until we found a reasonable piece of property with a navigable dock in the back yard. As soon as winter breaks next year, we're heading south, mostly offshore, all the way to Tampa and a little beyond. We also want to get to the islands, but step one is getting the boat to our new home base in FL.
Polar Opposite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2015, 13:04   #9
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Howdy NECruiser and Welcome Aboard CF!

Good introduction post. It looks like you are well experienced with boating and prepared for a life on the water in the future. I like your plans.

Here are a few tips I like to pass on to new members to the forum.

There are also some "social groups" within the forum that are more focused on special interests.

Cruisers & Sailing Forums - All Groups

WIKI
Take a look at the Cruising WIKI that is found via the tab up on the top menu bar of the forum. It has a LOT of information in it you might find fun, interesting, or helpful.

Looking for Quick Answers?

This is the best and fastest method I have found to the answers I seek here.
Since you are relatively new to the forum, here is my favorite friendly forum search tip: Look at the green menu bar on the forum pages for the drop down "Search" menu. Click on that to drop down a list of search functions. From that drop down menu select the GOOGLE CUSTOM search feature (the second box down) and then enter several different descriptive terms for your topic of interest. That will do a Custom google search of ONLY this site and it is likely to find answers to your questions or results for you. Note: this is VERY different from using the regular forum search box or field (which I never use because of poor search results). Also note, this is NOT found if you use the CF app. It IS found if you use a web browser such as Safari, etc.

Note: The ordinary "search" field on this forum has yielded less helpful results for me when I perform searches. That is why I prefer and suggest the use of the alternative "Google Custom Search" instead. I see a very clear difference and find the Google Custom Search much easier for scanning (with my eyes) threads for relevant comments and info. YMMV
Old 27-01-2019, 10:48   #10

Re-greetings from Maine. I'm still here, although I haven't posted much in the last few years. I've been working and caring for my elderly father, who is in the advanced stages of Parkinson's Disease and spinal degeneration. Besides work, his care takes up much of my time.

My mother passed about 5 years ago, and with no other family to lean on, I am his only lifeline and means to have any quality of life. We recently did all of his estate planning stuff so we won't lose the house or business. His sign shop is winding down, although I'm helping him with projects while I do my finance stuff. It will be good to get the old shop building on the market and sold.

The great Caribbean adventure is still out there, but I think the seas will be a bit rough until then. I'm semi-retired now, still working part time, and reading a lot, and learning. I see a lot of great boats for sale - just have to wait a couple more years.
Old 27-01-2019, 15:13   #11

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Welcome back! Sorry to hear about your father, but it sounds like he's got a lot of help and support, and no doubt appreciates it.

Poke in here from time to time, you're sure to learn something that'll help you out later on, when you're finally underway.

It's hard to even remember what it was like when I wrote my original reply here. I retired and started my Down East Loop trip just over 9 months from the first post in this tread. Hopefully your time will come.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
England, new england