Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2019, 13:55   #16

Boat: Genzel Phantom 28
Re: Greetings from Montenegro

Sounds great, Neziak!

Hiya scriptol0g, good to meet you! Two people called me separately to warn me about the wind on Friday, plus I already had an alert from an app. So I made everything fast with extra mooring lines, the wind arrived, and... calm as a lake My berth is really well protected to the north, from both waves and the worst of the wind, so it was totally relaxed. How was the weekend's wind for you?
Toffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2019, 04:13   #17

Boat: Oyster 49

Quick question for Toffe and scriptol0g - was there any damage from the winds over the weekend? Do you know how protected were the outer docks from the sea state at Porto Montenegro?
Neziak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2019, 05:22   #18

Boat: Arabesque 30

Ćao Toffe. Good to hear that everything is ok with your boat.

Hi Neziak. I did not hear anything about big damage in Porto Montenegro marina (only roofs of buildings/houses, trees and billboards was damaged) and looks like they passed this without big impact. Only small boats of fishermans was damaged.
Also take into account that strong wind in the winter - it's a "regular" Montenegrian winter weather (all 4 years, what I'm here, each winter we had a wind with speed over 70-80km/h). So, I don't think that engeneers, whom built a Porto Montenegro marina, didn't took this into account.
scriptol0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 14:56   #19

Oops, looks like i missed responding on this. Porto Montenegro managed the wind with no issues as this strong wind was (and basically always is) from the North only. My berth is protected by a peninsula to the north, Porto Montenegro gets some protection from the same peninsula but also have an artificial peninsula going out to their fuel dock that also protects against the north wind. During the blow the water was basically calm as a bathtub both at my berth and in Porto Montenegro.

My berth only ever gets bouncy with a WNW wind. Most of Porto Montenegro is protected from that as well because of breakwaters and outer docks for superyachts. This area also used to be a naval base in the days of Yugoslavia, so, everything is in order for local conditions!
Old 15-03-2019, 05:39   #20

Hello! Welcome aboard!
TimMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2019, 14:01   #21

Well can I say that I am in Montenegro and I love it! The bay of Kotor is spectacular and it's hard to describe the sail in. I feel as a cruising ground that it's so under rated and the Kotor anchorage is awesome. The place is cheap with lots to do, so many hikes, I really recommend it. Best of luck, I just videoed our first week, hope it can inspire someone to come here

chook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2019, 00:35   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toffe View Post
Hiya Sojourner, that's it exactly! Sounds like you had the perfect Montenegrin experience.

Apart from the figs, there's the best lemons I've ever tasted. Plus the local approach to cooking in general - "stuff it with cheese, wrap it in bacon"

Apropos of nothing, here are the 10 Montenegrin Commandments:

1. Man is born tired and lives to get a rest.

2. Love thy bed as you love thyself.

3. Rest during the day, so you can sleep at night.

4. Do not workwork kills.

5. If you see someone resting, help him out.

6. Work as little as you can, and convey all the work you can to another.

7. In shade is salvation – nobody died from resting.

8. Work earns illness – do not pass away young.

9. If you have an urge to work, sit down, wait and you’ll see it will pass.

10. When you see people eat and drink, approach them. When you see them work, withdraw yourself not to trouble them.

Truly a wise people.

We spent a day in MonteNegro on the bay of Korta during our honeymoon. The locals made everybody on the cruiseship look like they didn't know the meaning of relax. The open bars along the bay pouring triple shots of Vodka at 10am in the morning helped the mingling though.
LeFevreBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2019, 10:49   #23

Welcome to Montenegro, chook and thanks for sharing the video!

Unfortunately, since my last posts here, I've had my boat rammed and my gangplank stolen (separate occasions), in front of the sailing club where I do volunteer work. So I'm no longer a fan of the place and am trying to decide on my next destination once summer is over.

That said Montenegro is still fine for tourists, the Kotor bay is great for sailing in, and there's no shortage of fantastic hikes. Maybe check out Perast if you're in Kotor? It's just up the coast, the village is charming but the main attraction is the church on an artificial island, locals put votive offerings there for safe passage, and every year there's a festival where fisherman surround the island and throw rocks in the water to maintain the island. https://www.visit-montenegro.com/explore/coast/perast/