Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2022, 06:31   #1

Boat: Californian 48 CPMY
Greetings from Maine

We are getting ready to haul for the season, so time to start planning for next year.

Our quick bio is that the Admiral and I bought a sailboat in 1995 (IP-32) and sailed it from Seattle to Seward, Alaska (ok, mostly motored as we headed north). We both had our own businesses, so time was always limited, but we did get around a bit. In 2002, we moved to Maine, so the IP-32 made a trip back to Seattle (this time on a barge), then trucked across to Rockland, ME. Just sold it this year and switched to power last year (yikes, owned two boats at once for a year or so).

We bought the powerboat (1988 Californian 48 CPMY) in Maryland, so spent eight days bringing it home. Wonderful trip with very few problems. Have now replaced all old electronics, thrusters added, new windlass, etc. Solar panels this winter, I hope.

Planning on cruising to the Bahamas next winter, so looking forward to picking up tips on CF.
Kind of Retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 06:52   #2

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389
Re: Greetings from Maine

Quite the jump Seattle to Maine. Must be beautiful forests with salt water shore blood in ya. Welcome aboard, semi retired also. Made the opposite switch power to sail. 400 SeaRay to 38’ Jeanneau. I still have a little Donzi to keep my right arm exercised. It’s a scrap hull with a fresh blown LS3. Extremely fast wet boat.
The Bahamas are beautiful your insurance cost will make you weep. I’ve made the trip from the Great Lakes and would fly and rent a boat if I had the urge to boat there again. That’s how we enjoyed BVI.
I’d sure recommend a ports guide because there are some pretty rude unfriendly places which look inviting on the chart on route.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 07:13   #3

Boat: Tayana 48DS 48'

What Rumrace said I do have a couple thoughts for you for your winter planning/dreaming, however:
1. Get Aqua Map for your phone/tablet (whatever you keep around you) - not only is it a full-bore nautical charting ap, it has both Active Captain and Waterway Guide icons in it so you can read about marinas, anchorages, hazards, etc. from the comfort of your kitchen. The ap is free, US charts are either $30 forever or $10/year, and other areas are available (including IMHO the best Bahamas charts: Explorer).
2. Subscribe to some of the popular ICW wb sites including Facebook pages for current info.
3. Research and ensure your anchoring systems and electrical systems are up to "off grid" (non marina) cruising - that's the way to really experience all those areas (including Maine!)

Fair Winds!

Hartley
S/V Atsa
Hartleyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 07:12   #4

I have 4 sets of the paper charts for the south channel of Georgian bay. (Hoarding) Each set is different. I’ll miss paper charts my wife won’t. The Crusing Guides refer to charts show a few details but send you the right direction to restock the boat, repair, anchorage.
There is a place in Georgian Bay called bone island. My charts have the only way in to the back of bone. Charts still have nothing even though it’s a provincial park with a small dock. Stick close to the little island away from bone and centre channel where you instincts send you. It’s that local info I love in Guides.
The Great Loop folks have a great list also.
Where are the four star restaurants after the daily gruel is too much?
Old 05-10-2022, 07:32   #5

Yup I’d love to sail Maine and Washington. I’ve been to both on business and done a fare amount of scuba diving in Washington and Vancouver area. A very strange huge 6 gill adolescent sharks show up every year March-April. The killer whales would normally hunt and kill sharks but they give the 6 Gills a pass. We think they are establishing mates before the head off to the depths of 4-5,000 feet. Their eyes are the size of footballs and a marvellous green. Larger than great whites and no dorsal fin.
I love Maines roads cause it’s identical to Ontario. The folks are so darn normal it’s a relief. I have friends in Oregon and could not believe how much I loved the Olympic mountain range and her eagles. Baker way off poking through the clouds. I’ve boated to Rimouski Quebec to dive on the Empress of Ireland for a few days. It’s just past Quebec City on the south shore.
The temptation to head to Nova Scotia was real but time didn’t allow it. I’m pretty bored boating around Toronto only happy when we’ve left for the bush
Old 28-10-2022, 19:09   #6

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Welcome to CF.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maine