Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2008, 19:34   #1

Boat: Will be a 50' Cat
Greetings From Atlanta Ga...

Hello to all.

Captain (wannabe) Cook here. New to the board but looks like an interesting place to exchange ideas.

I have just begun my research into the possibility of sailing around the world in 3yrs with 2 children (will be 9 & 11 then) and a reluctant wife.

We chartered a Trawler and then went to Strictly Sail in Miami this last winter, now sold on CATs.

I have far too many Qs to burden everyone with for now, but would like some feedback on this question.

1) What is a good planning speed for a 50' CAT, (Thinking of a Royal Cape Cat)... I was thinking about 5kts, day in day out on sails.

2) Has anyone sailed from West Coast of NA to Asia via the Northern Route... up around Southern Alaska, Kodiak Isl, follow the Isl Chain across to Japan... is this reasonably possible in the Fall of the Year Aug - Oct ?

Thanks for any help and suggestions... I will try to not over burden you all with too many Qs...

Cheers
capcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2008, 20:15   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Captain Cook,
I think Captain Cook sailed at 5kts average speed. In a 50 foot cat you should do more than double that. But why would you want such a huge boat when a smaller one would do? I know you have kids but do they need their own staterooms?
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2008, 06:24   #3

Boat: Will be a 50' Cat
Hello Skipper John,

Do you hail from the Hawaii ?

The big boat is more for the wife than the Captain... you have to pick you fights right ? She would feel more comfortable on the bigger boat and keeping the Ks in their own stateroom also probably has a lot of advantages (closing them off from each other at times)...

I have read that if one wants to go to Asia via a northern route, going through Hawaii and up makes more sense then up the NA coast line... That would be a LONG haul... have you ever sailed up the Calf coast to OR ?

Cheers
capcook is offline   Reply With Quote