Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2014, 23:20   #1

Boat: Hartley rorc 32ft ferro.
Greetings From a New Member in Oz.

Hi, my name is Brian and I live on Pittwater; just North of Sydney NSW.
I have recently purchased a Hartley 32 rorc (ferro ) that I intend shortly to become my home and further down the track, my 'mobile home'. My first priority will be to attend to the 'livability' aspects of what has been an abandoned project and then to attempt to resurrect the sadly neglected 18-20 HP Bukh diesel.
The boat is fully rigged and equipped to sail , and I have sailed (mainly 'around the buoys' ), but would not yet care to risk sailing off and onto my mooring without motor back up.
Whilst I have had experience working with ply and epoxy
on a previous boat ,several years ago, I am new to working with 'ferro', and will ,no doubt, be seeking advice in the appropriate threads on precautions needed to successfully drill for and bed down fittings in this new (for me ) material.
Cheers, Brian.
UPflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2014, 01:12   #2

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40
Re: Greetings From a New Member in Oz.

Welcome, Good boats those rorc 32's. Be careful with the bukh. Easy to crack the head if the cooling stops. And a nasty blockage point behind the flywheel!

Cheers from tassie.

Ben
Old 28-09-2014, 02:41   #3
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Welcome aboard Brian. Sounds like you have good plan. Good luck with the Bukh. I had a single 10 hp Bukh that required a rebuild and that certainly cost a arm and leg, however I was very happy with the result.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2014, 13:50   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Upflyer,

Heartily recommend that you buy parts and do your own work on that Bukh. I have heard some very upsetting stories about Bukh in your area.

Ann
Old 28-09-2014, 16:46   #5

@ Ann T .Cate,
Yes, I've come across the negative comments on various forums; both the pros and cons ,regarding our local (Sydney) Bukh dealer.
I guess that I'll find out in due course! The peanut butter coloured sludge in the sump and its seemingly seized condition may indicate that it is terminally ill from saltwater leaking from the cooling system. Also, it would seem to be a 'non standard' configuration, with a rear flywheel to keep the profile low in the below floor mounting.
Fortunately, the price that I paid for the boat ,takes this possible need for replacement into account. I will dismantle and evaluate, however, before discarding a motor that is already matched to the boat.
Cheers, Brian.
Old 29-09-2014, 02:47   #6
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPflyer View Post
...... The peanut butter coloured sludge in the sump and its seemingly seized condition may indicate that it is terminally ill from saltwater leaking from the cooling system. .........
If it is any help, my Bukh was also apparently seized. If I remember correctly, the salt water pump had seized with the shaft rusted to one the bearing shells. This pump was chain driven off the cam shaft which of course is coupled to the main shaft. The net effect was that the seized water pump thus prevented the engine from turning over. Once the water pump was removed (with considerable force), the rest of the engine was easy to turn over (decompressed).
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 21:20   #7

@Watname.
Thanks for the tip; hopefully that is the cause. I've heard that failure of the impeller shaft seals can be the reason for water entering the chaincase. Says heaps ,for having an external ,belt driven water pump in my opinion! Nevertheless I am getting tooled up and ready for battle. What could be more pleasant than to sit in the cockpit on a balmy summer evening; under the bimini; rinsing motor components in a tub of solvent?!
Cheers, Brian.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:05   #8

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPflyer View Post
@Watname.
Thanks for the tip; hopefully that is the cause. I've heard that failure of the impeller shaft seals can be the reason for water entering the chaincase. Says heaps ,for having an external ,belt driven water pump in my opinion! Nevertheless I am getting tooled up and ready for battle. What could be more pleasant than to sit in the cockpit on a balmy summer evening; under the bimini; rinsing motor components in a tub of solvent?!
Cheers, Brian.
Aloha and welcome aboard!
Will there be beer involved?
Old 04-10-2014, 15:57   #9

@ SkiprJohn,
Hi John; "Will there be beer involved?" I would be very surprised if this was not the case! Or wine ,or some other 'modified ' beverage.
Actually, during a previous stint as a 'liveaboard', several years ago; I developed a liking for red wine (and powdered milk); simply because I did not have to bother trying to keep them cold!
Cheers ,Brian.
Old 04-10-2014, 16:29   #10

Boat: 45ft Ketch

The local council says 3,600 mooring in pittwater - wow. Must be a few liveaboards in that number?
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 16:41   #11

I also had a problem with the seals on the water pump.
As well as pulling the pump, take off the cover at the front of the engine.
The leaking saltwater rusts the drive chain, which can break and break the cover, which is cast.
The seized engine may be due to a seized or jammed drive chain.
olaf hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 17:13   #12

Boat: CS36T

Welcome Brian!
Old 05-10-2014, 21:17   #13

@ DumnMad, Hi, I'm surprised that the coucil's estimate is that low! Perhaps that figure refers to private 'swing 'moorings and excludes marina berths which would
increase that number considerably. There are ,at least, six large marinas at the South end of Pittwater,(Newport ,Bayview, Church Point) who also have rental moorings; plus a few boatsheds /slipways that also have commercial moorings for hire. It sounds crowded, but Pittwater is about 10 klms long and ,on average, 1- 1.5 klms wide ,with numerous bays and inlets along its length ; Still plenty of room for the numerous weekend and evening races / regattas conducted by the various clubs,(including our local 'Woody Point Yacht Club' who claims to cater for 'drinkers with a sailing problem'!).
Living aboard is illegal in NSW for more than 20something days a year, so those who do so, tend to keep a very low profile. In practice, it seems to be tolerated ,unless one's behaviour occasions complaints from owners of waterfront properties.
@ olaf hart, Hi, I will have to do a complete dismantle anyway, so the chaincase cover will have to come off in the process. Since there is a spare v groove on the front pulley, I will certainly investigate fitting a pulley driven water pump instead of the current system. Maybe even a high volume inline electric pump could do the trick, keeping a spare at all times ,might be cheaper than replacement pump seals and water in the sump! Thanks for your input.
Cheers ,Brian.
Old 05-10-2014, 22:13   #14

I have heard that Johnston make a pump in the US which is used in cooling conversion kits.
If I find the reference I will send it.
Old 05-10-2014, 22:15   #15

Here we go

Atomic 4 Fresh Water Cooling System - Electric Antifreeze Pump

Not sure it will work with salt water though

Tags
member, new member