Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2022, 12:07   #1

Boat: Leopard Catamaran
Greetings Everyone

We are a couple of recently retired canucks getting ready to take a plunge into a new world (live aboard sailing).

Currently under contract on a Leopard Catamaran, survey, sea trials, viewing to be scheduled in May with Delivery date/handoff June 1 In Florida/Bahamas.

We are new to sailing (previous power cruisers) and looking forward to living aboard, learning and sailing the caribbean (at first). That being said, we will be taking ownership (fingers crossed) at the beginning of Hurricane Season....

Looking at devising a Flight Plan that will be acceptable to insurance companies as I assume the insurance companies will dictate what can or can not be done (especially during this season).

Any feedback or direction at this point is welcome.
AQUATHERAPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 12:29   #2

Re: Greetings Everyone

Welcome aboard!
SeanPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 14:08   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Aquatherapy.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 14:41   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Just saying "Hi", Aquatherapy. Wanted to say, in the '90's we met an Australian monohull called "Aqualibrium", and your user name here reminded me of them. Thanks for that!

Most insurances require that you be out of the hurricane, typhoon, or cyclone zones for certain months, and it will be quite clear in the policy where you ought not to be.

Ann
Old 07-04-2022, 17:32   #5

Boat: Island Packet 40

Welcome to the forums!

The best place to find out what insurance companies will require.... is of course to speak with insurance companies.

In 2021 while shopping for a boat, I also shopped for boat insurance. What I found was that policies and requirements varied greatly between companies.

One company required that I take my boat north of a specific line of latitude (roughly the Florida--Georgia border) during the entire 6-month hurricane season. Another company said the same thing, but was willing to grant me a two-month exception while I was having the boat re-fitted in Florida. Another company didn't require moving the boat out of Florida, but did impose a $4000 extra "hurricane premium surcharge" if I didn't move it north. The current company I am with does not require moving the boat north, but does increase my deductible substantially (by a factor of 3) for any damage caused by a "named storm".

My point is that there is no uniformity among insurers regarding hurricanes. You have to check with several of them and compare what they offer and what they require (and what they will be charging you for that coverage).

Most insurers (but not mine, for some unknown reason) require that you create a "hurricane plan". While I am not required to have one, I have one anyway. It's foolish not to. The time to be figuring out what to do if a hurricane is coming is long before hurricane season even starts, not when the Weather Channel is warning that a Category 3 is barreling toward you.

If you will be cruising during hurricane season you need to have multiple plans, depending on where you are if/when you get a hurricane warning. It might be best to haul out; it might be best to run from the storm; it might be best to find a hurricane hole or safe harbor and set three anchors. It depends on so many factors when you are traveling. There isn't one plan that fits all situations. The time to be checking out options and marinas and facilities and hurricane holes and distances and depths etc. is in the comfort of your home, with good internet, and lots of resources to do your research.

Don't be intimidated or overwhelmed by the prospect of hurricane preparation. It's part of boat ownership. And it's easier than ever to be ready, because tropical weather forecasting is so much more accurate than ever before in history, and there are so many resources available on the web to help you plan.

Good luck with your upcoming boat purchase. Enjoy your travels! Drop us a line from time to time to share your journey with us. :-)

Bob
Bobby Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 18:07   #6

Boat: Baba 35

Nice boat!

Welcome.
ttex is offline   Reply With Quote