Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2008, 10:41   #1

Boat: Don't own a boat right now
Greetings Cruisers

I'm envious of those of you out there. I'm still in my planning stage. I know they say if you wait 'till you're completely ready, you'll never go. I still have one in college and at the present time I'm looking at relocating to southwest Florida and finding work in the sailing industry. I want to learn as much as I can about sailing in the next few years. I"ve enjoyed a successful career in marketing and hope to utilize my skills in the sailing business in an area where you can sail all year. My sailing experience consists of 2 years as a crew member on a 42' racer sailing out of Bay City Michigan. Last July I participated in my first Port Huron to Mackinaw race. Racing has been a good way to learn, but cruising is my real interest. I look forward to being a part of this cruisers forum and learning some new things. And maybe someday enjoying a cocktail with some of you on under a palm tree on some fantastic beach.

Best to you all,

Steve
buckeye steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2008, 18:13   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Steve,
Welcome aboard! Good to have you here. If you know how to race you certainly can slow down, lose the stress and pile things aboard to become a cruiser.
You'll find lots of good information here.
My brother in law came to visit for a week last month and headed back to MI (Cadillac). They didn't mind if it rained a bit. It was still in the 70s and 80s.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2008, 18:54   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Stev,

Yoiu can't do anything serious without a plan. You at least have that much working for you. Persoanlly, I would hate a job in the sailing industry. As a rule it pays pretty poor. I would rather be a sailing them than selling them. We all do need to make a living and that to me matters more. Do it the best way you can. It's really all about showing up more than how you get there. I've even been to Saginaw.

Lots of great stuff here to help you make your plan work for you.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2008, 05:29   #4

Hey Buckeye Steve - Whay do you call yourself 'Buckeye'? Are you a transformed Ohio State Buckeye schooling in Michigan?
My wife and I are Floridians now, moved here last year from the 'Shoe' area. It's tough living around the Gator folks, but their cool.
Anyway, we plan on buying a Cat here in the near future once the home start selling again and totally giving up the land life for a five year or longer life in the Bahamas.
So, yea, get yourself out of school and start contacting some of the Charter sailing Inc's and see about getting on board of one of their boats as a 'Captain' pay is fair, but the fringies are the best! Then go from their. And I agree with 'Pblais' selling boats suck! I've worked some Boat shows, and it's a JOB!
Well good luck with your future choices.
I'm an 'ol ship builder myself, and I'd rather do that then sell-em.
Skipper II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2008, 08:34   #5

Boat: Don't own a boat right now
Hey Skipper II, Thanks for the greeting. I'm actually from Columbus (used to be a ticket taker at the OSU games) but have lived in MIchigan for 30 years. I have one son at MSU, the other graduated and lives in Colorado. I'm trying to find a job in the sailing business, mainly so I can learn more about sailing. I'm interested in moving somewhere in southwest Florida. I've been in touch with companies such as SW Florida Yachts, Offshore, J World and Sunsail. I know it would be alot easier if I was already living down there. I posted my resume in the classified section thinking some of the members may know of something. Hang in there with those Gator fans. It can't be as bad as living around arrogant Michigan fans. At least we've got their number. Good luck with the Cat and selling your house. My sister is great realstate agent if you need extra help. She's out of Columbus. Best of luck, Steve
buckeye steve is offline   Reply With Quote