Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2020, 19:49   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Noord Nederland Seahawk 31
Greetings as a college student undertaking a big project

Hi all!

I've been sailing my whole life, but I'm still just a college student and I've just undertaken a pretty big project of a sailboat for the first time in the hopes of going on a pretty sizable trip to the Caribbean next year. I've been reading threads on here for a bit and I decided it was time to make my own account—I've got a 30 foot steel sailboat that's been sitting on the hard for at least ten years, and I'm in the process of bringing her back to life; all new tanks, plumbing, electrical, brand new engine, repainting everything, new rigging, the works. I haven't had any experience with any kind of metal boat before this (I grew up on wood and fiberglass), so any little tips or support for metal boats or for women youth sailors is greatly appreciated! I look forward to continuing to read up and post my own questions!
KelseyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2020, 20:33   #2

Boat: Lancer 36
Re: Greetings as a college student undertaking a big project

Hi Kelsey, welcome and a word of advice, which you may know already... steel rusts, so surface preparation, priming, and sufficient mil thickness will be very important to keep the rust under control. Good luck, don't take shortcuts, and all will be well.
OloteleMtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2020, 01:29   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelseyB View Post
Hi all!

I've been sailing my whole life, but I'm still just a college student and I've just undertaken a pretty big project of a sailboat for the first time in the hopes of going on a pretty sizable trip to the Caribbean next year. I've been reading threads on here for a bit and I decided it was time to make my own account—I've got a 30 foot steel sailboat that's been sitting on the hard for at least ten years, and I'm in the process of bringing her back to life; all new tanks, plumbing, electrical, brand new engine, repainting everything, new rigging, the works. I haven't had any experience with any kind of metal boat before this (I grew up on wood and fiberglass), so any little tips or support for metal boats or for women youth sailors is greatly appreciated! I look forward to continuing to read up and post my own questions!

Small steel boats don’t work out well

Thin steel plate and poor access to the bilge , interior of the hull skin

Corrosion

There are plenty of fiberglass boats available cheap
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2020, 06:10   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Noord Nederland Seahawk 31

Hi! She's well built by a company that specialized in steel, has decent bilge access, and has no signs of deterioration outside of some surface rusting on the interior that I'm treating with ospho and using rustoleum primer and paint. I'm also ultimately interested in some high latitude sailing, which is why fiberglass isn't a great option for me. The problems that I've seen plaguing aging fiberglass boats also aren't a problem, like there can't be stress cracking and rot around stanchions because they're simply welded to the deck, which is why I went with this option.
KelseyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 11:10   #5
cruiser

Quote:
Hi all!

This is a great idea! I am so inspired by people who know what they want, such as how you could combine your hobbies and studies. No wonder why you like your project and you prepare it with ease and pleasure. Believe it or not, I came here because I am writing an essay about life experience. It was hard for me to get started at first, and I started looking for services, reading reviews, and found PapersOwl on a website that everyone praised and rated highly. But then I thought that writing an essay on such a topic is very interesting, I would very much like to give an example of your life path!
This is a great idea! I am so inspired by people who know what they want, such as how you could combine your hobbies and studies.
clara_jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 11:32   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Clara.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 15:05   #7

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Welcome.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 02:07   #8

Quote:
Hi all!

Go to Metal Boat Society , on Facebook now I think . Plenty of experienced metal boat guys giving advice there . I was a member years ago , had a 36 ft steel custom now own a Roberts aluminum pilothouse sailboat
rgmsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 08:32   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgmsail View Post
Go to Metal Boat Society, on Facebook now I think. Plenty of experienced metal boat guys giving advice there.

I was a member years ago, had a 36-ft steel custom, now own a Roberts aluminum pilothouse sailboat
This is an old thread RMG.

Kelsey has already refit her boat very nicely, taken Little Wing on an adventure to Florida and back and she's now based in Annapolis, I believe, teaching and/or working on boats for the Summer.

All went well (for the most part). You'll have to search out Kelsey's threads and posts for yourself if you'd like to read the whole story!

We all followed it with interest during her shakedown trip.

Warmly,
LittleWing77
(Forum Member, not Kelsey's boat)
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 16:44   #10

Boat: Grampian 26

Hi and welcome from Ontario Canada [emoji846]

You've got a boat. Plenty of time and a dream. Don't let anything stop you!

Fair winds [emoji569][emoji1][emoji1063]
Nauticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2022, 23:24   #11

Boat: Island Packet 40

Had a steely for about 30 years. Great material for folks with an adventurous streak who like to go to interesting places. I'd have another one but have gotten to old and lazy to keep one properly maintained so had the downgrade to a plastic one.

Enjoy your boat.

Tags
project, sailboat, steel, youth sailor