Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2008, 00:46   #1

Boat: A Classic 1959 Herreshoff Ketch, 38' S/V ORCA
Greetings

Hi, I'm so glad to have stumbled into this forum.

I am a member of the "Wooden Boat Forum" and I was looking for info on an Avon Redcrest and you were one of the links.

My husband (Kalevala) and I recently bought a 38' Classic 1959 Herreshoff Ketch. She is in California and we are in Alaska. We are planning to sail her to Alaska next spring.

I don't know what else to say right now except that this is a nice forum and I'm looking forward exploring it and to communicating with you.

-Spinner

A secret to a good marriage is to have a quick mind and a slow mouth...
Spin_Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2008, 01:51   #2
Kai Nui

Welcome aboard Spin Drift. What part of Ca is your boat located? Southern or northern?
Old 30-10-2008, 02:06   #3

Thanks for the welcome.

She is in Northern California.

Old 30-10-2008, 02:30   #4
Kai Nui

Allot of good resources in Nor Cal for the Herreshoff. Some good sailing before you head north as well. The San Francisco Bay can be a blast.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:50   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Spinner,
Welcome aboard! We have quite a few members from N. Cal on the forum. We've also covered the subject of sailing to the PNW from there. The prevailing wind and weather favors sailing to Hawaii and then on North to Alaska but if you stay close to shore and do your transit in hops some say that winter is ok but you'll be motoring most the way. I am not speaking from experience but only from what I've heard.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 05:43   #6

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Welcome Guys,
You've a beaut yacht - had a pal in Australia who had one - so good luck with your plans and be sure to keep everyone here well posted!
Sail safe
JOHN
Old 05-11-2008, 13:30   #7

Boat: O-Day 32 CC Slow Ride
Welcome!! Where are you from? Any boat pics?
exranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 23:48   #8

Thank you all for your welcome.

Well, where to start... S/V ORCA is our first sailing vessel. We had an antique mahogany cabin cruiser before her.

We live in Alaska though last 10 years we have also been living in Finland to be near my aging Mother and to help her as she was in her seventies and I was her only child. She passed away a couple of years ago and I am currently moving us permanently from Finland back to our home in Alaska where my husband has been the last year.

David, my husband is a Marine Mechanic. He also worked eight years as a professional fisherman and a crabber in the Bering Sea (and elsewhere in Alaska waters), whilst also being the ships engineer.

He was also an engineer in the Navy, on-board an ocean going salvage tug.

When it comes to sailing...well...we all start somewhere. Though David has been on the water most of his life, he started sailing this summer in the Alaska waters with his friends. I have sailed a couple times many, many years ago so I have no experience at all. I look forward to taking USCG courses on navigation and sailing.

We had been looking for the "right" sailboat for couple of years and found ORCA, or should I say, she found us...as she was offered to us by Gary who owns the beautiful Tall Ship, "Royalist"...

We bought her this September. I have never seen her in person yet and am looking forward to seeing and experiencing her... David, on the other hand, flew down and inspected her with a "fine toothed comb" before we bought her. (Sorry if my English is funny, it is not my mother tongue)

David is flying down to the Bay Area, to re-power her this month. He will be in Sausalito from November 27th through December 9th. If any of you would like to meet him and have a beer, PM me for his contact info.

I have a few old pictures of S/V ORCA in the album and will add some more...Some of them will be old ones, some taken recently.

ORCA will be brought back to her full beauty after we get her home to Alaska. Will post a progress thread then...

Old 06-11-2008, 00:04   #9

S/V ORCA, -old pictures

Will post more in the album...

Old 06-11-2008, 02:20   #10

What a nice project!~ Best of luck to you two. The best is yet to come.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 06:55   #11
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Very pretty vessel, and I swear I have sailed alongside her on the Bay. The Bay has beautiful sailing in the late fall & winter into spring. When summer approaches the Bay is challenging, and exciting.

Hopefully David will get some sailing time in while there. Classes, classes, practice, and more practice will get you a good start before heading home......BEST WISHES in a successful journey home.......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote