Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2011, 08:03   #16

Boat: Georgian 23 Whiskeyjack
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADMPRTR View Post
I hear Erie can get quite wild sometimes. How has your experience been on that lake?
Longer sailing season than Huron/GB, No mosquitoes or black flies, cheaper slip rates, but not as scenic. The long fetch over a shallow lake can make for some square waves, especially in Long Point Bay, and the water level can be affected considerably, especially toward the end of the season. It is not unusual for the water level in our marina to vary as much as 3 feet during a good blow in Sept./Oct. The fall sailing was very very good this year.

bljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2011, 09:45   #17

Boat: CS36 Traditional
Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
It is not unusual for the water level in our marina to vary as much as 3 feet during a good blow in Sept./Oct. The fall sailing was very very good this year.
Yes, I have heard about the Seiches in the lake. I guess you have a 3.6ft draft, is that sufficient for most ports?

When we bought Scoundrel in Toronto we planned on sailing her up via Erie but ultimately didn't due to various constraints. What I found interesting when planning our route was that there were often large distances between harbours (or at least harbours that would take my 6 & 1/4 feet of draft) which made me understand why most people jut sail straight through. Anyway, one of these days I will make the trip.

Were have you visited on the lake?

Andrew
ADMPRTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:07   #18

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here. I think 36 is an ideal length boat for cruising anywhere. I don't know the build quality of your boat but believe from word of mouth that it would handle anything.
kind regards,
Old 01-02-2011, 12:16   #19

Boat: Hunter 33 - Breezin'
Another from Georgian Bay.... Penetang. You'll really enjoy the North Channel.

scottb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 15:55   #20

Boat: CHB 50
Hi Andrew, welcome! another Erie boater here & new to this forum, came down from Penetang a few years back. Speaking of a Seiche, you have the greatest seiche found on the great lakes on your doorstep at Owen Sound.
Krawdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 13:43   #21

Re: Greeting from Georgian Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here. I think 36 is an ideal length boat for cruising anywhere. I don't know the build quality of your boat but believe from word of mouth that it would handle anything.
kind regards,
I had accidentally disabled my notification so I was unaware of your response. Appolgies for the delay.

Yes, I picked this boat because it has a good reputation as a sea worthy brand. However, I suspect there are many things I will need to address before heading out.

Best regards,

Andrew
Old 10-03-2011, 13:44   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawdad View Post
Hi Andrew, welcome! another Erie boater here & new to this forum, came down from Penetang a few years back. Speaking of a Seiche, you have the greatest seiche found on the great lakes on your doorstep at Owen Sound.
I was not aware of that feature for Owen Sound but it makes sense given the topography of the bay.

Andrew
Old 10-03-2011, 16:21   #23

Boat: Pilgrim 40
Send a message via Yahoo to nitpik Send a message via Skype™ to nitpik
Talking Re: Greeting from Georgian Bay

Welcome to CF, Andrew!
I have been sailing Georgian Bay and the North Channel since I was a puppy, and, in my opinion, it doesn't get much better! Your draft might make it a little difficult to try the sheltered route up the east shoreline, but that route also makes for a very interesting trip.
I can highly recommend visiting the North Channel, especially the eastern end, between Little Current and the Benjamin Islands. Of course, to get here you will pass through the Bustards, and visit Killarney as well. If you do get up this way this summer, perhaps I'll find you anchored in some delightful little bay, and we can share a little grog. (I live up here now, 'though I used to keep my boat at Dutchman's Cove in Penetang)
Now go shovel the snow off your boat!
Old 10-03-2011, 17:10   #24

Looks like a Penetang reunion...... we're in Bay Moorings. Going into our 5th season.
Old 10-03-2011, 18:08   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitpik View Post
Welcome to CF, Andrew!
I have been sailing Georgian Bay and the North Channel since I was a puppy, and, in my opinion, it doesn't get much better! Your draft might make it a little difficult to try the sheltered route up the east shoreline, but that route also makes for a very interesting trip.
I can highly recommend visiting the North Channel, especially the eastern end, between Little Current and the Benjamin Islands. Of course, to get here you will pass through the Bustards, and visit Killarney as well. If you do get up this way this summer, perhaps I'll find you anchored in some delightful little bay, and we can share a little grog. (I live up here now, 'though I used to keep my boat at Dutchman's Cove in Penetang)
Now go shovel the snow off your boat!
Ya, our draft is an issue. So far, we have been okay but then again, I haven't pushed the envelope that much either.

North Channel is on our agenda but not likely this year. Hope to go as far as Tobermory or north, though.

We are just upstream of Dutchmans.

Thanks for the welcome,

Andrew
Old 10-03-2011, 18:09   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottb View Post
Looks like a Penetang reunion...... we're in Bay Moorings. Going into our 5th season.
Sounds like a good idea. How many other members are in that area?

Andrew
Old 10-03-2011, 18:52   #27

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Anyone sailing out of the Midland Yacht Club. Would like to know what happened to Astrigale, a red steel ketch which belonged to the late Terry Burt-Gerrans. I took him on his last sail up the eastern shore before he crossed the bar.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:37   #28

Andrew, Baie Fine is at the top of Georgian Bay, just north of Killarney. It is the long narrow Bay ( Baie ) running E-W into the Western edge and the "P" of Killarney Provincial Park. The 2 red arrows are Bustard Islands ( NE) and Franklin Island just N of Parry Sound. We've made Killarney last year in 3 easy days, stopping at Franklin Isl. and Beaverstone Bay and 2 years ago in 2 long days.

More pictures of the trip last year Summer 2010
Old 11-03-2011, 05:39   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
Anyone sailing out of the Midland Yacht Club. Would like to know what happened to Astrigale, a red steel ketch which belonged to the late Terry Burt-Gerrans. I took him on his last sail up the eastern shore before he crossed the bar.

Check with Douglas Hunter, he's been at Midland Bay for quite a while. He has a blog on the Great Lakes region called Sweetwater Cruising . You can contact him through his site.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:53   #30

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottb View Post
Check with Douglas Hunter, he's been at Midland Bay for quite a while. He has a blog on the Great Lakes region called Sweetwater Cruising . You can contact him through his site.
Thanks scottb,

Spent many happy days sailing out of Midland and Tenetang with Terry.