Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2012, 22:19   #1

Boat: Pearson Ariel 26' (SOLD)
Greeting Friends !

Long time lurker, I will be purchasing my first sailboat this early spring. I have lurked here for a long time but I just recently registered but I have been a member over at livingaboard forum since 07. I have been lurking here so long and have spend literally hours pouring over every single topic. I already feel like I know you all so well because of reading all of your posts.

I have been chasing this dream for years, and it always has been elusive until the last few years of steady work and finally after paying off my last debt (new truck) in may. Ever since I have been banking almost all of my extra cash. Finding a new job has never been very difficult for me, I am single and I like to live simply. I just turned 27 so I would enjoy a boat that would be utilitarian and no frills. I have seriously been eying that alberg 30' that is for sale on Annapolis craigslist, I don't have that much money yet but I will have the kitty full come spring time. I am deeply fascinated with the early pocket cruisers with the traditional lines and stout build.

I am really in the market for a sturdy well maintained full keel boat with good sails and decent ground tackle. I would prefer a diesel engine but I don't think I can be too picky since the boat has to be on the Chesapeake as it is about 8-9 hours from here and makes the transition and inspecting phase easier versus going all the way to Florida and back. I don't or wouldn't object to small and cozy because that is exactly my style. I am looking in the 26-30 range with the maximum asking price of 15,000, of course I am setting a nice chunk of money for expenses for at least 6 months on top of the purchase price of the boat. To me smaller is better because I can get a better boat for my money if I stay 25-27, I would enjoy the Cape Dory 25D but I wouldn't go any shorter. There is a nice one for sale (25D/Yanmar 3GM) on the Chesapeake for 13,000, a bit high if you ask me, its a bare bones boat without any extras. I would pay a max of 8,000 for that specific one though.

Even though I have never worked on boats, I know I would enjoy the labor. I have done some fiberglass body repair and I used to be a diesel mechanic for almost four years before I figured out there are much easier ways to make money. I am well versed in; electrical, air, hydraulic, engine and all related systems. I would feel confident and content working at a boatyard for a while, I just love boats of all kinds and would happily work on any of them. But I learned much from working on heavy equipment and road trucks and I am sure I could ply that trade if I had to. I am currently in human resources, I am great with people and have honed my interpersonal skills as well. I also have a basic dive certification that I would love to turn into something besides a hobby. But who knows, this is going to be an incredible life journey.

I already made it to florida and lived there for almost a year, I worked at a small hotel/campground on long key. At that time I could have kept a cruising boat in the marina for FREE since I worked there. My neighbor would let me borrow his 14' pram to go sailing on Florida bay and I enjoyed every moment of it, nothing has ever made me feel more content and happy as I was then.

I actually ended up looking at an alberg 29' or 30' with a swing keel, anyways it was on grassy key. The boat was nicely outfitted for cruising many upgrades and extras, they were asking 11,000. I talked to a few banks but unsurprisingly nobody would loan money for a boat that old and for such a small amount of money. I ended up losing my job there after the property was sold to a development company a few months later, (the original company was underwater on the mortgage for several months.) I moved back home to Ohio where I have been wanting to move back to the coast since.

Going back even before then I looked at a Watkins 27 in Graysonville MD two separate times, almost a year apart because of a significant price drop. I found out why, she had been neglected since I last saw her and more or less "sank on land". There was lots of mold and water damage also had extensive soft decks. They should have sold it to me for what I offered them the first time, wow the boat market has changed considerably since then!

I apologize for the winded post but I wanted to make it count for my first. Thank you for such an intelligent civil forum, where I have much to be taught, so I will listen humbly and take notes.

Thanks again,

-Dan
trooper dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 22:52   #2

Re: Greeting friends!

Welcome aboard Trooper Dan, CF is the place to be with your ambitions.

ShaunJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 00:18   #3

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Greeting friends!

Hi Dan...Welcome.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 03:50   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Re: Greeting Friends !

Welcome to the forum Dan.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 03:54   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Dan.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:31   #6

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

Welcome aboard, Dan! Hope you find the perfect boat and set sail soon.
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 15:47   #7

Boat: Atkins Thistle 32 ft
Too bad you aren't on the west coast. We have a beautiful full keel 32 ft teak planked single masted woodie for sale in "master mariners" condition good. She is a beauty that has been lovingly cared for. We moved up to a 47ft for living aboard (although we have lived aboard Iolanthe for 10 years.) just looking for the right buyer as we will not hand her over to just anyone. She is a teak gem
IolantheSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:31   #8

Boat: Pearson Ariel 26' (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IolantheSF View Post
Too bad you aren't on the west coast. We have a beautiful full keel 32 ft teak planked single masted woodie for sale in "master mariners" condition good. She is a beauty that has been lovingly cared for. We moved up to a 47ft for living aboard (although we have lived aboard Iolanthe for 10 years.) just looking for the right buyer as we will not hand her over to just anyone. She is a teak gem
She sounds wonderful, but for my first liveaboard I should get something easier on maintenance. Even though I love anything wooden and classy it would be beyond my scope of familiarity. I would only hope to own a beautiful work of art like that someday. I am just hoping somebody on the east coast would entrust me purchasing and owning their well kept and loved boat. I am sure in time I will find exactly what I am looking for.

Thanks again all for the welcome.
Old 23-07-2012, 11:38   #9

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good planning there. You can look at the links after my signature and check out the book recommendation there too.
Shopping for boats is fun but can be frustrating as well.
Some former owners have been meticulous with maintenance and that's the boat you want to pick if it is the design you like.
kind regards,