Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2021, 06:04   #1

Boat: 26ft Steel Trawler 1960s
Great Lakes Trawler

Hello from Toronto Canada. I've joined to learn more about selecting the right trawler for longer passages around the Great Lakes and eventually into the Caribbean.

I currently own a one of a kind 26ft steel trawler from the 1960s. The motor froze and cracked so I'm considering changing it to electric- no experience with this yet.

I'm almost 50 and am currently working my butt trying to make a go of my design/ build remodelling con structure company. However I'm reaching the end of my rope and dream daily of selling my real estate and company and buying a Ranger Tug or similar to cruise and explore for a couple yrs.

I have little interest in extended trips into the deep blue seas, but prefer the concept of day tripping/ island hopping in the carribean or similar.

I've mated on fishing and diving boats in the Caribbean and Lake Ontario. I've worked as a PADI scuba instructor in 3 countries, visited 45 countries. I speak Spanish and French. I love using the above when travelling..

Looking forward to sharing knowledge adn learning from everyone else's wisdom.
thx so much in advance!
Jeff
Jeff71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2021, 06:17   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: Great Lakes Trawler

You will need larger than 26 for the Caribbean. Most of our stink-boat friends are driving >40 feet. Some have passive stabilizers, one had gyros. Our friends currently in St Lucia will be selling. I think Hatteras 52 or 54. Very nice boat. They will be moving it to Antigua soon
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2021, 06:23   #3

Boat: 26ft Steel Trawler 1960s

Thx Nicholson58. I'm considering approx 30ft Ranger Tug while in fresh water for next 5 yrs or so until I can retire. Qualities I like are fuel economy, seaworthiness and functional, attractive interior. I have never owned a newer live aboard and really look forward to instruments that work and modern navigation technology.
In the short term my tripos will be 2-8 nights doing portions of the Great Loop, Trent Severn Waterway and other inland passages
Jeff71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2021, 07:44   #4

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy

Ahoy and welcome to CF Jeff.

-Do you have any pictures of the trawler to share?
-What motor are you needing to replace?

I am not (!) a subject matter expert but have a fondness for Great Lakes fish tugs and old stuff in general.
Old 27-06-2021, 03:08   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Jeff.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
great lakes, trawler