Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2012, 22:08   #16

Re: Gosh, how do people afford to learn to sail/ spend time on boats?!

Hi again and thanks a bunch for your replies. Lots of good ideas and words of encouragement which are super appreciated. We are planning to go to the boat show next week, baby steps for hubby as he is not at all sure about this crazy new plan I have for us!

I think the next baby step will be getting him out for some time on a boat. Something tropical would be best (BVI! yeah! maytrix I hear you! any recommendations there?) but we'll have to save up a bit for that trip. I hadn't come across the Barnet Co-Op (thanks Old Soul Wayne) and it looks like it could be a good fit for us, to get out there sooner rather than later, with budget in mind. Race crewing might not be quite our speed yet (it sounds a little (okay a LOT!) scary for a newbie) plus I have a wee cervical spine issue to manage so contrary to my usual jump in with both feet first nature, I should probably be a tad more cautious until I have a better idea what is required... But thanks everyone for your ideas so far! Oh and defjef you are awesome! Your offer was really cool. Clearly hubby and I need some sailing friends...

Also, anyone have any favorite blogs or sailing sites they recommend? I've loved the few I've come across so far...

Cheers! TCG
terminalcitygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2012, 22:15   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strait Shooter View Post
How can you NOT afford to do it is the question. Wouldn't the question "what if?" drive you nuts if you DON'T do it?

I could teach you to sail in a day. You could spend the rest of your life practicing.

Read, learn, research boats, bum rides, buy a small boat as suggested and just go do it. You don't need charters unless you want to. You don't need classes unless you want to. You just have to want to sail. No, you NEED to sail.

If you don't like it, sell the thing for what you paid for it and move on. I've watched my first boat be sold 4 different times now for basically the same amount in 6 years on Craigslist. I wonder how many people have learned to sail on that wonderful, forgiving boat. Go for it.

Fair winds

John
John I hear you and I loved the advice from someone else to just buy a cheap boat and go for it... is it crazy to say that if hubby wasn't part of the equation that is likely what i would do?! I really want him to love it and feel comfortable and us fumbling about in a little boat would scare the crap outta him! But I'm game... I may go that route if he gets cold feet anyway. The back issue gives me a little pause but probably not enough to not get out there and mess about!
Old 30-01-2012, 22:18   #18

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

TCG, you've gotten some good leads and advice here. Local libraries may have a few videos as well as books, and some organizations have low-cost or free classes that teach some elements of boating lore. Boat shows will often have seminars, and sometimes seminars and talks are sponsored by marine businesses (chandleries, etc. may give programs on topics like or "how to winterize your boat" or "how to care for a diesel engine"). In my state down in the USA, our state parks department gives free one-day "boating basics" classes. While these have very little to do with sailing, they do teach rules and regulations, basics of navigation and charts, basics of rules of the road (right of way), and hazards and responses. One of the semi-obscure corners of the US Sailing website also has some sailing tutorials (you never know what you'll find if you dig into their web site).

Oh yes, there's one popular racing-oriented sailing web site where you might get what might appear to be a rather rude welcome ... don't take it too personally if it happens to you; it's just a sort of silly tradition.
Old 30-01-2012, 22:49   #19

Boat: Orca 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminalcitygrl View Post
John I hear you and I loved the advice from someone else to just buy a cheap boat and go for it... is it crazy to say that if hubby wasn't part of the equation that is likely what i would do?! I really want him to love it and feel comfortable and us fumbling about in a little boat would scare the crap outta him! But I'm game... I may go that route if he gets cold feet anyway. The back issue gives me a little pause but probably not enough to not get out there and mess about!
Yes, it does sound a little crazy but I understand.
So YOU go and get comfortable handling a small boat first, it really wouldn't take long believe me. Get the seller to "show you the ropes" as it were and then after a few practice sessions you'll be more comfortable and can show hubby your new found skills. Teach him to help you steer as you trim sails (or pretend to anyway). Teach him to help you tack. You CAN do this if you want to. Then when you wow him with your superior docking skills and outstanding seamanship and an understanding of what it is your trying to do, I'm sure he'll rise to the occasion. If he doesn't, at least you'll know. If YOU don't like it, at least you'll know.

Start now, learn how to check your local weather and winds and start checking them at least daily. Our summers are great for light winds and if you take it nice and easy and learn how to move about the boat you shouldn't have a
problem. You'll make mistakes, you won't be the first or the last to learn how
to sail though.

Keep us all posted..... And go do it.

John
Old 30-01-2012, 22:58   #20

Boat: Catalina 30
Re: Gosh, How Do People Afford to Learn to Sail / Spend Time on Boats ?!

You actually did a good thing posting here that you want to go sailing. Hopefully a couple people near you have pm you with information about going out with them. A very nice man did that for me and it was wonderful. This year I will be doing the same. I will also be offering sail days for veterans too. There is something about being on the water that is very good and peaceful.
Old 31-01-2012, 08:12   #21

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminalcitygrl View Post
I think the next baby step will be getting him out for some time on a boat. Something tropical would be best (BVI! yeah! maytrix I hear you! any recommendations there?) but we'll have to save up a bit for that trip.
My wife and I own a boat in Sunsail and we can sell time on it which helps cut down the cost, especially if you bring others. I am pretty sure I could sell a week in the sailing school as well. PM me if you want more info at all.

I don't know anyone personally who has use the ASA program that is part of the moorings/sunsail, but we did meet a couple one trip both before and after who was doing the program and they loved it. They even took the boat out themselves their last day.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 08:35   #22
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

There was certainly a time, several decades ago, when we were asking the same question. When I started out as a high-school teacher, we just didn't have money for a sailboat of our own. It was all I could do to afford a good set of foulies, but once I had the appropriate personal gear I found I could get out on the water all I wanted if I was willing to grind winches on other people's boats. Getting out on the race course is a great way to learn the ropes at someone else's expense, all the while saving up for the day when you'll be able to afford a boat of your own.
Old 12-02-2012, 19:48   #23

Update: Hubby and I hit the boat show today and went on a morning sail and despite the cold, rain and very little wind, we had a great time. It was misty and quiet and peaceful on English Bay. I am going to LOVE sailing and I think hubby will too. We also met some great guys from the Burrard Co-op and looked at a bunch of sailboats so I'm happy to report the dream is alive!! I think we will look at joining the co-op to get some time on the water with more knowledgeable skippers and try to take a course in May or June. Thanks again everyone for sharing your experiences and thoughts and your kind words of encouragement.
Old 13-02-2012, 13:28   #24

Boat: Tartan 30 & Columbia 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Buy a cheap old boat and start sailing it as much as possible. You can find something you can camp on for $2500, plus you'll learn a lot about maintenance, etc. I can't believe there aren't places within an hour or two of Vancouver where you can get a cheaper mooring--you have to look outside of the city for less cost. Get a swinging mooring (a ball out on the water), not a dock space. A lot cheaper.
BINGO!

Get an old beater of a boat, big enough to go on multi-day voyages, but small enough to easily single hand. Heck, you can probably find a marina derelict for practically free! Put some elbow grease into the boat, improve it, as you teach yourself boat maintenance improve it more. Take it out little day sails in nice, protected, uncrowded waters during calm days. Screw things up, a lot, at first. Then get better. You'll be surprised how quickly you'll become a competent single-handed sailor. Then you and your hubby go out for weekend trips, then multi-day trips (I HIGHLY recommend the Gulf Islands!). Then one of two things will happen: You'll realize you're not as gaga about sailing as you thought you'd be, you sell the boat (likely at a profit based on that elbow grease I mention above), or you and your hubby get thoroughly hooked on sailing, and sell the boat, and buy the bigger cruising/live-aboard boat you want.

By the way, I'm about 3/4 of the way into the above plan.
wristwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2012, 13:41   #25

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by wristwister View Post
BINGO!

Get an old beater of a boat, big enough to go on multi-day voyages, but small enough to easily single hand. Heck, you can probably find a marina derelict for practically free! Put some elbow grease into the boat, improve it, as you teach yourself boat maintenance improve it more. Take it out little day sails in nice, protected, uncrowded waters during calm days. Screw things up, a lot, at first. Then get better. You'll be surprised how quickly you'll become a competent single-handed sailor. Then you and your hubby go out for weekend trips, then multi-day trips (I HIGHLY recommend the Gulf Islands!). Then one of two things will happen: You'll realize you're not as gaga about sailing as you thought you'd be, you sell the boat (likely at a profit based on that elbow grease I mention above), or you and your hubby get thoroughly hooked on sailing, and sell the boat, and buy the bigger cruising/live-aboard boat you want.

By the way, I'm about 3/4 of the way into the above plan.
That was precisely what we did. We bought a 1/3 share in a 40 year old Haida 26 for $1500 and then paid $90/month for our share of the moorage. Got us hooked.

Moorage is a big deal in Vancouver, and I'm not sure what it's like for the smaller boats (ours is a 35' and we pay about $650 per month, which is outrageous). The club route would avoid moorage and still give you access to a boat, but without the trials, tribulations, joys, and learning or owning your own.
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2012, 14:00   #26
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Do... or don't.... there is no "try".

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 08:02   #27

Boat: 1970 morgan 28

hello citygirl !!! I have some friends from Canada,they came south and bought a 31 'catamaran ,somewhere in new england they left there on way to fla ,bout 12 days out they had probs and had to be rescued by coast guard then after storm they made it here [Oriental nc],they are "prepping" to return and continue the trip soon.she was a newby and he said he had "boat time",life throw's challenges atcha ya;you either get on board-or -stay aground !!! " many people dream,few ever get to live them" fear is the mind killer[next to TV] later gumby/zenkayaker and capt'n of the MOKEN
zenkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 11:10   #28
Armchair Bucketeer

I think the short answer is that lots of people can't afford it.

But do anyway! - with varying results.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 11:24   #29

Boat: Graham Radford 415

Hey!
Like I mentioned in my post to you yesterday, we're currently on the island but should be back in Richmond at the end of the month. You guys are welcome to come around and check the boat out if you're interested, come and get a feel for what it'll be like on a sailboat for a live aboard.

Aside from some extra gear, tweaks here and there, and solar panels we're pretty much ready to go offshore, just a couple of years knuckling down to save some money and whatnot.

Oh and one tip I was going to add in my message was, just put your name down on waiting lists at marinas. If it's a five year waiting list, say you have your boat ready to live on in five years you don't want to be putting your name down then! Plus spaces open up and you never know, it could all fall into place. If they call and offer moorage you don't have to take it if you're not ready =)
CaptainTurtles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail