Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2013, 10:09   #1

Good Morning! - and a Question...

Hi!

My wife and I live in Key West, with prior stints in Hawaii and Guam. We like our island lifestyle, but lately Key West has become a bit too crowded for our taste. We've decided to list both our home and business and move on.

We're about six months away from casting lines and heading out for an extended cruise down island with a possible Panama crossing to sail up to the SF Bay where our youngest daughter now lives.

So my question is this: I own a canvas shop here in town; based on the size boat we're looking at, I could bring a machine along and do canvaswork at various stops. Alternately, I'm a pretty fair mechanic; a stock of common engine/transmission parts and powertrain service is another possibility.

Of the two ideas - which one would be in higher demand? I like the mechanical work, but I also like that canvaswork keeps my hands clean. We'll have enough money for the cruising kitty; just have to do something at anchor besides repair my personal stuff.

Please let me know.
Cayo Hueso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 10:27   #2

Re: Good Morning! - and a Question...

I vote canvas work. Mechanic-ing, you will need to import parts etc, You would have disassmbled pieces and cleanup solvents etc to deal with.....sounds like a PITA. Sometimes people sitting in anchorage too long think of lots of things they want done, and canvas work isnt available everywhere. Repair work too..

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 10:31   #3
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I vote canvas work. Mechanic-ing, you will need to import parts etc, You would have disassmbled pieces and cleanup solvents etc to deal with.....sounds like a PITA. Sometimes people sitting in anchorage too long think of lots of things they want done, and canvas work isnt available everywhere. Repair work too..

If I were out cruising and my Bimini ripped, I would need to have some sort of repair made. it's just too hot not to have shade in a cockpit. You need an engine that runs too, and if you were prepared for both ... any reason you couldn't be?
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 18:21   #4

Thanks, guys! I would have thought canvas was lower on the totem pole - but then again, the tropics are hard on textiles. We only use the best materials we can get our hands on so folks can go more than a few years before replacement; we have quite a following as a result. Will keep this in mind!
Old 29-07-2013, 18:27   #5

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

Canvas! You can always have the parts you need and no matter where you go someone always need canvas work.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 18:43   #6

I'd have to limit colour selection to the usual (Pac blue, Forest Green, black, etc.) but it could be done. I'd bring a full sized machine and rig a davit to lift it from the work area through the companionway to get on deck; need a little breeze and some table space to work well.
Old 11-09-2013, 19:45   #7

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!

Troubleshooting diesel engine problems and trans problems could earn you a few dollars even if you didn't carry all the parts necessary. The other big ticket repair is refrigeration.

I'd go with canvas if you had to narrow it down.