Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2007, 20:14   #1

Boat: Olympic 23 "Oddyssea"
pirate Getting wet again soon...

Hey guys,

Dale here. I'm new to the forum and thought I would drop a line to be friendly and all. Anyway, I will be going liveaboard by the end of summer. Putting in back home in Palm Beach, the ol' Peanut Island thing because I can't afford the slip rent yet. Army vet with just my pension to live on. Beats trying to budget a Palm Beach apartment though! If anyone here has a myspace dealeo, just drop by and check me out. I am a musician and have songs for download for free, if you guys want. I hope to meet alot of good friends here, while sharing the joys of our chosen lifestyle. Great site, and keep up the good word. I have already learned many things in the 35 minutes or so I've been a member! May your sails be filled with the winds of happiness...

www.myspace.com/lordspears
Old 24-06-2007, 20:20   #2

Welcome aboard Dale.

I'm a military vet as well. And I have been on this forum for almost two years now. Learned a lot. And still learning.

Glad that you liked the site. This site is a very good site. Lots of experienced sailors in here. And also wanna be's.

Hope to cross paths one of these days. I will be honored to drink some cold brews with you anytime.

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2007, 20:34   #3

Hey thanks for the invite, CaptainK.
Actually, a cold one sounds fine and dandy!
Where's yers? ha
Old 24-06-2007, 20:39   #4

Drinking one, right now. As I am typing this post.

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2007, 21:29   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Dale,
Welcome aboard!! Retired Navy. In country Vietnam vet. There are a whole bunch of us here getting along on retirement pay. You've got a great boat. Many of them make it over here from the West Coast.
Hope you enjoy the forum and make the cruising life work for you.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2007, 22:30   #6

Hey thanks skip!

You know, I spent years and years (of my young life) trying to please everyone but myself, it now seems I've landed in the position of torturing myself with a lack of responsibility. I always thought if I pursued my own dreams it meant I was thinking selfishly... Well... here's to being SELFISH folks! See you on the water! God bless all who truely follow their dreams. Used to jump from airplanes for Uncle Sam looking for trouble, now I am jumping into trouble looking for a life.
The Pearson is a nice little craft. I think I will need a little bigger if I'm going to make a life on the water. That day will come, though.
I don't know why I did'nt find this forum sooner than I did.... Talk about a tradewind welcome!
Old 24-06-2007, 23:29   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
The Road Less Travelled

Many people spend a lifetime following some sort of life invented for them by parents, teachers, wise old sages, role models etc...

I had a friend named Sam. Sam was a "strange" duck by societal standards. Lived alone, played tennis, would drink a few beers, but one of those "loners" who would head back to his 2 room modest apartment by himself every night.

He and I got along great and were good friends as long as I didn't "demand" too much from him or get him out of his comfort zone. He never had a steady girlfirend but I could confirm he wasn't gay.

Years went by. People would ask Sam when he was getting married all the time. Sam would brush it off - "Oh, Someday" - "Haven't met anyone who'll put up with me". I never asked him - none of my business and probably why I was one of Sam's (3-4?) chosen friends. People would ask me if Sam was gay. They couldn't understand why he wasn't playing the game just like they were, and I was for that matter.

One day after I had known Sam about 18 years I finally asked him why he wasn't married. He whipped his checkbook out of his back pocket and showed me a checking account balance of just under a million bucks. (Of course it was an interest bearing account) He explained that was the ready fund and his retirement money was invested.

He said something quite poignant like, "Why get permanently involved with someone who just wants to steer you from your dreams, change you from who you are, drain you financially to buy sh*t you don't need and tell you how to dress."

I've lost track of Sam over the last few years. At the age of 52 he quit working moved up to the northern part of the Philippines and hangs out at a Scuba diving camp. He has periodic live in girlfriends has dramatically expanded his social life and as far as I know is loving life. He was just on a mission to stop working at 50 and did a hell of a job at it.

I need to look him up and convince him to buy a Scuba boat - LOL

Bearphish - I suspect being a jumper you are familiar with less travelled roads. As a pilot I could never understand the type who'd jump but as you can tell I never judge. Follow your road and keep us posted.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2007, 23:25   #8

Hey there Ex,

Wow- great story! Though I'm sure that if I were to peel open my checkbook, the exposure would be quite void of "interest". Although I am very excited at the prospect of being able to cruise on what I receive from the VA, I am probably more ecstatic about the ability to enjoy the freedoms of our oceans and how they will permit me to write more and more material.
I have been stifled by hard life and grind for many years, knowing that this day would come-being destined for a slower, more contemplative lifestyle. The thought can be as intoxicating as the last bottle of Asbach Uralt, and I don't need a snifter! Life change can be sudden and overwhelming.
I guess some feel they need to be prepared by packing their own parachute. Me, I'll take the one at the bottom of the pile. I have always enjoyed sailing, but I feel this journey I am beginning something much more than the usual joy of tweaking a vessel for efficiency. I feel I am about to really live for the first time in my life.
Thanks for the good words, and I hope to cross paths with you guys someday, if only to place a face to the wisdom.

www.myspace.com/lordspears