Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2007, 10:52   #1

Getting Ready to Go!

Aloha! Just joined today while researching info for my upcoming trip. At the end of this month, I'm flying to the Virgin Islands from there we are delivering a new 65foot catamaran back to Hawaii. It will be my first blue water trip. 1st trip longer than 15 hours aboard, and 1st time sleeping aboard. We are expecting it to take 6 weeks. Looking forward to seeing different countries as well as the trans pac. Anyone done the Transpac before? Now I'm just looking at what to bring (clothes, etc...) Any recommendations on must haves?! I've got my foulies and some good shoes.

I'm glad to have found this site as I've found lots of info.
SailGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 11:34   #2

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
G'day Sailgirl,
Good luck with the first trip. Its not my part of the world so can't be too specific re clothing - although 20 years sailing in Australia taught me layer work well.
Suspect you'll spend more time in shorts and T shirt than wet weather gear - so start on the inside with those, and work out to the top layer - and you'll cover all eventualities.

Plus remember you've got to ship what you take out, back home some day, probably on your shoulder. 'Less is more' is a good maxim.

Enjoy
JOHN
Old 07-03-2007, 17:51   #3

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
Apparel depends much on planned route. Assuming BVI to Panama Canal then on to Hawaii, you should not encounter bitterly cold weather. Good foul weather gear to stay dry with layers underneath.

Good non-skid non-marking sailing shoes that dry quickly. I am a believer in socks, they wick water and keep feet more comfortable. Change them when they get wet. Bare feet on a wet deck is inviting a slip and fall.

Don’t worry about style. Your fellow crew won’t care if you wear the same shirt more than once.

A little low-odor ammonia (or lemon scented) in a small bucket of fresh water will freshen your clothes without a rinse and not waste water.

Take your own inflatable life vest with integral harness and tether. Do not leave the cockpit in rough weather and/or dark without being tethered to the boat. Life lines are not a good place to clip. Ask the skipper to rig jack lines.

Be very aware of the sun. Stay covered, stay in the shade, what there is of it, and use sun block.

Have a BLAST!

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 19:59   #4

Boat: Morgan OI 414
Your in for one heck of an adventure. Have a great time. Don't forget your tooth brush. These guys are covering it, listen to them. You could get a few cases of military meals ready to eat, (MRE's) that might be a good thing to have onboard. They are actually pretty good food and easy to prepare and they last about ten years. Good Luck.
Inthewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 18:50   #5

Thanks!!!

Thanks for the suggestions! What are your opinions on vaccinations? I've looked at the CDC website, and they have recommendations, but not really for boat travelers.
Old 09-03-2007, 19:03   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha SailGal,
You don't need anything special for Hawaii when you arrive. Flip flops, shorts and t-shirts are the things to wear. If you want to go a little more formal wear a strap top with a floral print with your shorts and flip flops. Just bring lots of layers for the at sea colder weather. You'll need a hat with a brim to protect you from the sun.
Don't forget good sailing gloves.
Wear sunscreen when there is sun.
Have a safe and bountiful journey.
Tell me when you'll arrive in Hilo.
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 11:03   #7

10 days until departure

Thanks John! Actually, I live in Hawaii so I'm all set on clothes here. That's one great thing about bringing the boat here, is I'll be home when we arrive. We should arrive in Hilo at the beginning of May, then across the Alanuihaha Channel to Maui.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:47   #8

I'd bring my own safety harness/automatic life vest. As well as my own ditch bag. AND if you're like me and hate being wet and cold, a full wet suit just in case you have to ditch.

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 13:23   #9

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
If I was making the trip, I would also have my personal ditch bag just in case the worse happened. We carry immersion suits on board Exit Only, and I think they push the survival odds massively in our favor if the boat ever goes over. I wouldn't go offshore without a survival suit or at least a full wet suit.

Dave
Exit Only

Maxingout.com
PositiveGraphics.com
Positivethinkingradio.com
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote