Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2010, 01:02   #1

Get Me on the Water

Hello all. My name is James. I am a police officer who's had enough. I need to live a new and relaxed life...and SOON! I am looking for my first purchase of a boat the my young girlfriend, my son and I can live aboard and cruise as "Frugal Sailors". That being said, I'll need a boat that a rookie can handle and still have the room for comfort. Can't have a mutany yet.

Grateful for any and all advice from experience, and able to laugh with those who provideat the wise cracks at this newbie's expence. Ready and eager to learn Captain(s)!
jmd063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 08:54   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Welcome to the forum James.
Looking for a boat is a bit like looking for a new girlfriend....seems the harder you look the more ilusive...The good ones find you.
Of course you still have to be available to be found.
My recommendation for boat shopping is to start walking the docks and see what calls out to you...bring your camera so you can take lots of pictures ....and post them here...then well give our 2 cents.
Nice to have you and once again....... welcome!
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 10:03   #3

Welcome

You don't say anything about experience or whether you are talking sail or power boat. Assuming little or no experience and that you are thinking about cruising on a sailboat:

1. Learning to sail, even including navigation and basic boat maintenance, is easy. Anyone with time and determination can become reasonably competent in a matter of weeks; and you do not need to own a boat to do this.

2. Cruising, however, is mostly not about sailing. I recommend the backwards approach. If you can afford it (and it is expensive), do a crewed charter in the BVIs. Or, find some other way to live on and sail a boat for a week. If the goal is cruising, there's no point in boat shopping or learning to sail until you are sure that you will enjoy living on a boat.

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 10:03   #4

Boat: 1990 Ericson 32-200
Send a message via Skype™ to DennisM
Hi James,

Have you tried http://www.yachtworld.com ?

That was my starting point when I finally bought my first boat last April. I found it very informative and very easy to refine your search by geography, boat type, size, etc. Lots of great photos, too.
DennisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 15:17   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha James,
Welcome aboard! You'll hear lots of opinions here. Mine is just one among many. If you haven't sailed before or just have been a crewmember on a boat or two then take a simple basic sailing course to get the hang of how to use the sails and steer the boat using safety and rules of the road. Learning to sail is much like learning to drive a big rig. Yes you can do it but if you want to do it safely and right and not learn other folks bad habits then take a basic course.
"Start Sailing Right!" is a great basic sailing book.
As far as what boat to get into look at the book recommendation and links after my signature.
kind regards,
Old 11-02-2010, 18:42   #6

Boat: Catalina 27 - Handyman NO# 1229771
Send a message via MSN to tallyhorob
welcome aboard,
been doing a lot of searching myself on the liveaboard life style. Still looking. Where are you from and do you plan on moving around with the boat, local or off shore? Price range? Living on the hook? or tied up in a dock? Get smaller if you are only a step away from stuff
tallyhorob is offline   Reply With Quote