Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 16:53   #1

General intro

Hi foreign forumers and locals alike. Inland Aussie here.
Just thought I'd throw my hat in the ring here and give you some basics as I prolly didn't fully fill a profile in.

Lately the idea of one day having a capable cruising boat and personal capability to handle it and situations has me totally engrossed. Even though I live inland and our creek is nothing but sand I am privvy to being mere hours away from the great barrier reef. I am a trade qual mechanic but have done bulk other jobs and try to learn a little from each. I do know a fantastic couple in Rockhampton building thier 3rd yacht and it is nearly ready to launch. I hope to learn a lot from them before I take a plunge into ownership.

I've been lurking here for a bit and find the varied experiences shared enlightening, educating and sometimes downright amusing.

Be prepared for me to ask some silly questions along the way (once I have searched of course).

Cheers,
Outwest34au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 02:19   #2

Boat: Kingston 770
Re: General intro

There are no such things as silly questions.
Welcome aboard mate. I'm new here as well, an Aussie too. Have done a bit of sailing but just had my first real offshore trip to Lord Howe Island. That's done it for me, all I think about now is getting my own boat and cruising.
ludrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 02:51   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: General intro

Hi Outwest... Welcome to CF...
seems you've got us well tagged....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 03:51   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Welcome Outwest.

Ask away. Silly questions would be an improvement on most of the threads.

PS don't tell them you are an Aussie. We are planning on taking over CF, but we are trying to keep it quiet.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 04:14   #5

Boat: Colvic Watson 23'9"

Okay, I'm not an Aussie...but I do live in the Land of Oz. The boating's great here! Welcome aboard CF and hope you enjoy learning from the experienced hands here!

Don
rabbidoninoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2012, 14:51   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you posting here and questions are welcome.
kind regards,
Old 17-12-2012, 21:36   #7

Thanks for the welcome one and all.
Sorry for taking so long to make a general reply.

I have been reading a shipload of posts a day here and sorta glad I didn't come here mentioning a world trip to get shot to ship.
It has been some very good reading into the stories and the person themselves. As with any forum it's great to have a diverse mix to provide opinions that allow me to make an informed decision that suits me and my future crew. Thats sort of a disclaimer saying I won't take everything I hear as gospel :-)

I used to think I wasn't a masochist but my 12'9" or so fibreglass build has been far from what I expected. No roof over the cockpit, prolly leaky, tends to sneak along with a 45 degree crabbing effect. It has taught me that time expected to do a job and time required are 2 totally different things. Also, time I alloted and time spent doing are 2 different things. All the other go to woe factors as well, you know, the true cost and explaining it to her in wife dollar conversion Ssshhhh LOL. The lil ole tub I got for $18K and was gonna have sailing down the great ocean (road?) for a total of $35K but, as toys will be toys, I'm in for closer to 50 and nearly there (yeah right mate, I hear you say haa.) And do you know what, it's all been a tiresome lonely frustrating expensive repetitive learning course that nearly has me talked into going the boat route when this is finalised and cruising. All good onshore training in preperation to burn money.

http://www.comdotau.com/images/front.jpg

I know it's not a car site folks, but this is glass and also the masochistic way to enjoy the occassional hoot.
Feel free to can it Mods if the crowd rebels.
Is all in good jest.

Really hoping to continue reseaching and doing what I can while landlocked and if I'm lucky I'll find someone prepared to take me for a day or two around rocky or mackay and laugh thier guts out while I possibly hoick mine up and fumble like a newbie, or maybe I will go well for a beginner and be classed as a potential future wannabee if I'm lucky lol.

Thanks to everyone for the wide and varied topics, lifestyles and personalities.

CF is a great place with some great people.
Outwest34au is offline   Reply With Quote