Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2012, 04:06   #1

G'day from the East coast of Aus!

Hey folks!

I'm sending this while on holiday in Port Douglas, far North Queensland, Australia.

I've had an awesome week up here and, while watching all of the yachts come and go into the marina (while chasing after two small children!), I decided I want to do a sailing holiday/course in October or November this year.

Reason for joining the forum (apart from being generally social!) is to see if anyone has any suggestions as to what courses are better or more suited than others.

I'm Melbourne based, but would love to do it in Queensland - either the Whitsundays or further north. In terms of experience, I spent my childhood on yachts cruising in Scotland - but fairly fair weather sailing really. I'd need to refresh on rigging etc. but, as a pilot, I think navigation and motor cruising would be ok (I would hope!).

Any ideas would be great!!

Thanks folks!!

SM
Snowmanrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2012, 04:12   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: G'day from the East coast of Aus!

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Snowmanrk.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2012, 04:32   #3

Boat: OEM, proportional

G'day Snowmanrk! As a Melbournite, you'll find Qld conditions more hospitable for boating.....not usually 4 seasons in one day, and a bit further removed from the icy stuff. According to Colregs, Qld Coral Reefs have right of way on both tacks. Pilot/motoring is good.....just keep in mind that pushing down on the tiller won't make the boat pitch down and speed up, and it should be a doddle.

Have you been over to the Yachting Australia website to see their courses and programs?

National Programs
Old 18-08-2012, 06:41   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Hi Snowmanrk
Welcome to the forum.

Not sure what are the best courses, but a great way to learn is to roll up to one of the yacht clubs in Melbourne.
Sandringham or Royal Melbourne.
There is no need to be a member even with no experience you will still be useful sitting on the rail and it's a great way to learn.
I would wait till spring though.

The main requirment is that you are willing to turn up on a resonably regular basis a sense of humor does not hurt.The races are saturday and a twilight during the week.

Good luck
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2012, 18:38   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here on the forum.
kind regards,
Old 14-09-2012, 19:09   #6
Marine Service Provider

Don't rush to Sandringham, they won't even notice you as they look over the end of their noses! We felt very uncomfortable there!
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2012, 20:55   #7

Boat: John Pugh Windsong sloop 38ft

Welcome to the forum! We lived in Melbourne for four years and taught ourselves to sail on Pt Phillip Bay and the Gippsland Lakes. We're prefer the trial and error method of learning
Old 14-09-2012, 21:53   #8

Welcome SM, I second doing a YA course with a good recommended sailing school from the get go. As a pilot, you will appreciate being taught by a professional instructor and have a quick and steep learning curve (after all, aircraft lingo originates from nautical lingo). Rather than getting told conflicting things from well meaning sailors at yacht clubs who may or may not know what they're talking about . Definitely, good to get hours on the water as rail meat with yacht club 'around the cans twilight racing' but learn the right way from a professional (patient) instructor.
Since you have a childhood sailing and pilot background, you could probably bi-pass the into course and go straight to Competent Crew and then Inshore Skippers..... Good luck and enjoy.

Surfer Girl is offline   Reply With Quote