Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2017, 04:33   #1

G'Day from Antarctica

Hi everyone. I'm currently stuck down here working in Antarctica until December when I head back home to Jervis Bay, Australia. I am planning to get myself a trimaran over 33ft to sail singlehanded and live on for the next year. Still trying to decide where I will be going but that seems to be half the adventure.

Paul
Pauly1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2017, 04:58   #2

Re: G'Day from Antarctica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly1980 View Post
Hi everyone. I'm currently stuck down here working in Antarctica until December when I head back home to Jervis Bay, Australia. I am planning to get myself a trimaran over 33ft to sail singlehanded and live on for the next year. Still trying to decide where I will be going but that seems to be half the adventure.

Paul
you are on winter rotation? I was giving thought to doing summer south pole time. 6 months is a long while, but the pay is good.
sailnow2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2017, 05:15   #3

Boat: Lagoon 450 Flybridge

Hi Paul

Are you at Mawson?

If so, say Hi to Brian J for me. We chatted on the phone a couple of weeks ago, being my first time on a call to Antarctica.

Stay safe.
anthonyp0808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2017, 05:23   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Paul.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2017, 06:31   #5

Hi Pauly. May I ask what you are doing work wise there? I'm looking for ways to work around the world and/or work seasonal then travel hopefully via sailing. . Do you need experience? Is the pay ok? How would I get a job? Thank You

Sent from my SM-G900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Fit4Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2017, 07:37   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailnow2011 View Post
you are on winter rotation? I was giving thought to doing summer south pole time. 6 months is a long while, but the pay is good.
Yes I'm doing a Summer and Winter down here this year. This is my 2nd season here, started in Nov 16 will be home Dec 17 or Mar 18 if I get a contract extension. So all up a minimum of 13 months down here max 16 months. Pay is what I can get back home but you can't spend anything here so it's a good savings plan

If you can get down here give it a go, it's a once in a lifetime experience
Old 23-04-2017, 07:38   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyp0808 View Post
Hi Paul

Are you at Mawson?

If so, say Hi to Brian J for me. We chatted on the phone a couple of weeks ago, being my first time on a call to Antarctica.

Stay safe.
I'm at Davis,
Don't think I know Brian but I know 3 other people at Mawson this winter
Old 23-04-2017, 07:44   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fit4Sailing View Post
Hi Pauly. May I ask what you are doing work wise there? I'm looking for ways to work around the world and/or work seasonal then travel hopefully via sailing. . Do you need experience? Is the pay ok? How would I get a job? Thank You

I'm an instrument Electrician here. The pay is on par with what I'd get back home so it's not too bad plus you get free accomodation and food.
You need some broad experience in your field but even if you don't have all that much it's worth trying. They only take applications at the start of each year but if you visit Jobs in Antarctica — Australian Antarctic Division you can lodge interest and it will notify you when they reopen.

Luckily for me I can still work as an instrument tech or an electricain when I'm back in Australia so I can always find some income. Finding a suitable boat will be the hard part
Old 23-04-2017, 10:04   #9

Great for you!! sounds like a good deal. You'll be sailing soon with money in pocket. When you say get down there....do you mean find work once there? Or how do I find work before arriving? Thank you for your time so far by the way. Cheers

Fit4Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2017, 17:11   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fit4Sailing View Post
Great for you!! sounds like a good deal. You'll be sailing soon with money in pocket. When you say get down there....do you mean find work once there? Or how do I find work before arriving? Thank you for your time so far by the way. Cheers

You can't really get down here without a job first. Every country has their own Antarctic program so for the non Aussies try googling your own countries programs.

Paul

Tags
arc