Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2011, 15:19   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Re: Gaining Offshore Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyWoodie View Post
Another plus -is you are on the right/left side of the cost of the good Ole USA -better then being on the right side-cunning-linguist -eh?

I wish I were able to be over there too -where ya still can roll up a good joint? and it don't freeze too hard and some of your representatives still believe in the truth like Ron Paul-hey ,shoot me i'm Canadian and i think he is still the best bet because he has not been bought off yet and never will-them's fighting words - but true ,no? eh?

but that gets back to the only war i can understand and love 200 years later when we kicked your ass?

1812-them was some good honest fighting for a good cause!

Incoming-Cover!

Only thing that keeps me sane in this crazy old /new word is everyone here on this beautiful forum which makes me proud when we hold our hands on our heart and sing the our anthems with tears for all our friends who ain't here no more..

I -we will survive with the help of our friends-Joe Cockier !
Yeah...i think
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2011, 17:20   #17

All of you are standings on the shore wondering why in drowning ion the shore too..

That's the point-some of us are drowning and some of ya are wondering...

Some of us are drowning here on the shore in sunny fir weather and unfortunately ,maybe some U ya ain't seeing we drowning?

How do we tell ya were drowning when ya ain't seeing??

Yo tell e cause i ant seeing either,cause I'm blind lie you...

Wish one day we could sit down nd talk and we could see the same thing and alleviate pain?

That would be a good day that we could sit down nd talikan alleviate pain and brig nd see hope demos and reps?

Heaven on earth?

I have know idea other than I wish and I hope and I pray everyday for everyone of us....

that one Day we can ll get together and sail together and love nd find some peace in this insanity that i love that we call our home..

I hope-everyday for all of us and for everyone.
LoveMyWoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2011, 17:39   #18

I'm sitting her in the safe nuthouse

sadist thing is hat all of us ,if we told the truth and if everyone could see us truly for who we were -we would all be here?

Happy and smiling too?

Thanks to all of ya cause i'm here and in alive and i'm still thinking happy thoughts too.///

Cheers everyone and welcome home to some happy sailing boat meet!
LoveMyWoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2011, 20:33   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

To start, don't worry about offshore. Walk the docks and ask around -- you can often get a ride on someone's boat. Look at the local racing programs, there are often spots available for new guys, especially when one of the regular crew can't show up.

Once you have some daysailing under your belt, for more at-sea experience you can look for crew positions on returning raceboats. The Hawaii races (Transpac, Pacific Cup, Siglehanded Transpac, Victoria-Maui) have lots of boats sailing back, and some of these will need crew. You usually have to get yourself out to Hawaii, but the plane tickets can be pretty cheap if you shop around. There are also coastal races (San Francisco to Monterey or Santa Cruz), where returning boats may need crew. You won't need great racing chops for these return passages, just a bit of experience and a good attitude.

The Latitude 38 Crew List is a great suggestion.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2011, 20:43   #20

If you can handle a dinghy in the harbor at 25 knots the other stuff is pretty simple. Just more power in the lines, rigging, and navigating. You can get 3/4 of your sailing skills locked in a dinghy.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2011, 22:40   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Must be fall. The trolls are out.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 07:35   #22
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyWoodie View Post
All of you are standings on the shore wondering why in drowning ion the shore too..

That's the point-some of us are drowning and some of ya are wondering...

Some of us are drowning here on the shore in sunny fir weather and unfortunately ,maybe some U ya ain't seeing we drowning?

How do we tell ya were drowning when ya ain't seeing??

Yo tell e cause i ant seeing either,cause I'm blind lie you...

Wish one day we could sit down nd talk and we could see the same thing and alleviate pain?

That would be a good day that we could sit down nd talikan alleviate pain and brig nd see hope demos and reps?

Heaven on earth?

I have know idea other than I wish and I hope and I pray everyday for everyone of us....

that one Day we can ll get together and sail together and love nd find some peace in this insanity that i love that we call our home..

I hope-everyday for all of us and for everyone.
Some (sailors) are a bit aloof,but be careful how you approch most ..as this language will make most say uh..well thanks but no thanks...DVC
Old 31-10-2011, 08:04   #23

Have you ever thought about going to a yacht club and offering yourself as crew on a race boat it's very good experience and opens lots of doors.
Pagos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 08:16   #24
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markesmongu View Post
so does anyone have have suggestions for me on how to accomplish this?
Google up a few Delivery Skippers and see if they can add you to there lists of potential crew (your experiance sounds good enough), getting crew at the right time is not always easy so the more flexibity you have the better.....of course you won't be paid and will likely (99% ) have to make your own way home.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 08:23   #25

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I needed a couple of crew to come back from Hawaii this year--posted on this forum but the response was tepid and flakey, got no response from OPO, posted on Lat38 and got some interest, but ended up taking two Corinthian members of our Santa Cruz YC. The Corinthian members are a new group, too old to be juniors but too cheap to become regular members. The program is growing rapidly, and the program is acquiring more boats for them to race and sail. I was more comfortable choosing the Corinthians because even though I had not sailed with them personally, I could talk to YC members who had.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 09:15   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Not sure if that was aimed at me, but show me a guy/gal who can handle a dinghy under a small craft advisory and I'll more than happily plunk them up for an offshore passage with no other resume check.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 09:26   #27
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i would rather have someone come to aid in the yard or in marina soi can get to know the prsonality meshing capabilities and the desire to work. EVERYONE wants to sail. if someone is willing to HELP on the boat and we get along, i will even teach sailing. go figger---i have seen folks sailing dinks in weather and i have seen folks handle 30 ft boats in weather who i would not want anywhere near my boat. some were in sd by, btw, rebel heart--is a difference between handling a tiny boat in foul weather and getting along with a kook on board in any weather.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 09:41   #28
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
It is directed to the one in the nut house...right?
Old 31-10-2011, 11:42   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Please- if you have to ask your post is not offensive. I just nodiced somebody throwing bait out and I didn't want somebody to take up the bait and run with it. If it is guns, politics or outrageous claims...you get the idea.
Now lets get back to the OP's question
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 19:12   #30

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
You've gotten a lot of good advice. Walking the docks is a good thing if you can find some docks where you are located.
kind regards,

Tags
offshore